Old October 12th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default ibiquity AM hybrid digital radio provides little consumer benefits

The Ibiquity AM hybrid digital radio scheme provides little consumer
benefits. In fact, it destroys the character, versatility, variety
and utility that has been associated with AM Broadcasting since its
inception 100 years ago.

In any part of the country and with an inexpensive radio and internal
loop antenna you can find a variety of programming, local and national
news, weather, ethnic music, financial shows, political talk shows of
all types and tons of other stuff. It requires no more technology than
what you have in your house or car right now. Standard AM radios
easily pick up stations from nearby counties, cities, and towns making
listening even more versatile.

At night it gets even more interesting. Radio wave propagation through
the ionosphere gives the listener a constant variety of programming
from cities hundreds or even thousands of miles away all with the same
inexpensive radio. Nothing wrong here.

Now, along come some very dubious characters that call themselves
iBiquity (whatever that’s supposed to represent). This nefarious, for
profit, company convinces the Government and investors that they have
a better system (which is licensed by them and only them I might
add). This new system gives “FM quality” to AM radio they claim. But
what they don’t say is that it will totally destroy existing AM radio
as we know it. With strong-arm tactics and FCC blessing they go about
trying to force the broadcasting world to convert to their for-profit
system.

With this conversion consumers start to lose and big business wins.
Along with “FM quality” you lose the character and versatility that
comes with the elegant simplicity of AM radio that has served people
so well for so long. Gone will be the days of hearing stations the
next city or state over. Gone will be the day of using an inexpensive
radio to get local news and weather. What you will have is a
relatively expensive clunky digital radio system that is lucky to
receive stations 20 miles away with any consistency that is designed
to eventually squeeze out any local stations. And forget about FM
quality – it’s just not there in spite of what iBiquity claims.

AM radio still retains some of the character we are all losing in this
so-called high tech society. To allow a for-profit company like
iBiquity steal it away is a crime. For a government agency to allow
this to happen is absolutely criminal.

Old October 13th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

AM radio still retains some of the character we are all losing in this
so-called high tech society. To allow a for-profit company like
iBiquity steal it away is a crime. For a government agency to allow
this to happen is absolutely criminal.

Perhaps a class-action lawsuit against iBiquity and the FCC? After all,
what they are doing could be considered in violation of anti-trust law.
They're taking our publicly owned spectrum and selling it back to us.

Old October 13th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 12, 7:38�pm, "Brenda Ann" wrote:
AM radio still retains some of the character we are all losing in this
so-called high tech society. �To allow a for-profit company like
iBiquity steal it away is a crime. �For a government agency to allow
this to happen is absolutely criminal.

Perhaps a class-action lawsuit against iBiquity and the FCC? �After all,
what they are doing could be considered in violation of anti-trust law.
They're taking our publicly owned spectrum and selling it back to us.

"Court Finds FCC Violated Administrative Procedure Act in BPL
Decision"

"After reading the decision, General Counsel Imlay observed, 'The
decision of the Court of Appeals, though long in coming, was well
worth the wait. It is obvious that the FCC was overzealous in its
advocacy of BPL, and that resulted in a rather blatant cover-up of the
technical facts surrounding its interference potential.'"

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2008/04/25/10064/?nc=1

The ARRL put a stop to the FCC and BPL interference to their radios -
perhaps, non-HD broadcasters and the general public should file a
class-action suit against iBiquity/NAB/HD Alliance/FCC. What the Hell
are broadcasters waiting for?
Old October 13th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 12, 7:38�pm, "Brenda Ann" wrote:
AM radio still retains some of the character we are all losing in this
so-called high tech society. �To allow a for-profit company like
iBiquity steal it away is a crime. �For a government agency to allow
this to happen is absolutely criminal.

Perhaps a class-action lawsuit against iBiquity and the FCC? �After all,
what they are doing could be considered in violation of anti-trust law.
They're taking our publicly owned spectrum and selling it back to us.

Anti-trust law violations would also apply with trying to force HD
radios into Satrad receivers.
Old October 13th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
KaitoWRX911 wrote:

[...]

That's an excellent example of being slapped upside the head with a
giant clue stick.

The ARRL put a stop to the FCC and BPL interference to their radios -
perhaps, non-HD broadcasters and the general public should file a
class-action suit against iBiquity/NAB/HD Alliance/FCC. What the Hell
are broadcasters waiting for?

Where do we sign up?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old October 13th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Rfburns wrote:
With this conversion consumers start to lose and big business wins.
Along with “FM quality” you lose the character and versatility that
comes with the elegant simplicity of AM radio that has served people
so well for so long. Gone will be the days of hearing stations the
next city or state over. Gone will be the day of using an inexpensive
radio to get local news and weather. What you will have is a
relatively expensive clunky digital radio system that is lucky to
receive stations 20 miles away with any consistency that is designed
to eventually squeeze out any local stations. And forget about FM
quality – it’s just not there in spite of what iBiquity claims.

Well, a couple of nights ago, I did a band scan to see how badly
IBOC was ****ing* on the AM band. I only heard four signals, two of
which were local (Seattle).

Looks like the West Coast AM broadcasters realize it's a suicide
pact.

*(That's what it sounds like, to me).

Mark Zenier

Old October 14th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 13, 9:54 pm, "A Browne" wrote:

The Ibiquity AM hybrid digital radio scheme provides little consumer
benefits. In fact, it destroys the character, versatility, variety
and utility that has been associated with AM Broadcasting since its
inception 100 years ago

Wrong.

It increases the fidelity dramatically for AM broadcasts....and brings back
AM stereo in a standardize format.

Fidelity is given as one reason given when studies are done about why people
are turned off by AM radio.

Please, what "versatility, character, variety and utility" does it
"destroy".

(That is besides DX-ing, which the public does not care about, judging by
research, arbitron, and sales figures.)

AM radio still retains some of the character we are all losing in this
so-called high tech society. To allow a for-profit company like
iBiquity steal it away is a crime. For a government agency to allow
this to happen is absolutely criminal.

What good is "character" if no one is listening.

You know - After thinking about it a little more I've concluded you're
right. Thanks. I'm such-a jerk.
Old October 14th 08, 07:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The Ibiquity AM hybrid digital radio scheme provides little consumer
benefits. In fact, it destroys the character, versatility, variety
and utility that has been associated with AM Broadcasting since its
inception 100 years ago

Wrong.

It increases the fidelity dramatically for AM broadcasts....

Comparing what passes for a consumer-level analog AM radio to an HD
radio, yeah. But even the hot new Sony dumbs down analog in
comparison.

Better fidelity is a plus. And listeners complain about (what they
perceive
as) fidelity issues.

HD makes it better.

No, any better tuner/receiver makes it better.

No, HD offers better fidelity capability than analog. (The radio is a
seperate story.)

and brings back AM stereo in a standardize format.

That's nice, but not many people care..

Now that cell phones have stereo speakers.....and internet streams are in
stereo....the public expects nothing less.

How much of the public at this moment cares or even knows that HD AM
offers stereo (from those stations that broadcast it)?

I dont think they care about stereo, by name...but they care that it's a
lesser quality than FM...and the stero helps it sound better.

How many that
do broadcast stereo actually need it to 'improve' the sound (for talk
radio? religious programming?)?

It can make AM talk and news sound like NPR on FM.

Thats an improvement.

Why is NPR on FM stations mostly? ANd why are most NPR talk stations
broadcasting in stereo?

(because people expect it....)

Well, they can upgrade their analog tuner/receiver...

Sure, but they will not recieve any of the added "stations between the
stations" that HD radio provides on FM if they simply upgrade their AM
radio
to a better analog one.

A few NPR stations offer somewhat unique content on side channels, but
most I've heard are just jukeboxes at present.

Maybe, but people like jukeboxes, if the jukeboxes are playing songs they
like.

XM/Sirius has channels that are virtually jukeboxes.

Again, if it's a jukebox that's playing a format you love....then it's OK.

It may not matter to the majority of people, but the
sound really isn't 'better' on HD.

Of course it is....and it also contains much less processing that AM
stations feel they need to do to modulate their analog signals.

Are you talking to station engineers? HD AM does not sound better than
decent analog equipment in my experience.

"In your experience" is the key word....In my experience, in demonstration,
listener tests, and technical parameters, it sounds better.

Old October 14th 08, 07:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Think of it as ANOTHER opportunity to listen to Brother Stair!

Hudley Pearse