Old November 20th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Best Rx $1K for daytime SWL (BBC beam to Africa, etc.)

Dear Sir,

May I quickly add my two cents worth? Before you buy anything, try
using your Sony ICF-SW7600GR and your Sony AN-LP1 Active Antenna as
you normally do. If that is not satisfactory in receiving the signals
you desire, try moving the AN-LP1 to another window, preferably one
which is at a 90° angle to your original window placement.

Also try moving to another room. Sometimes the above is all that is
necessary for better reception. Please also note that, while signal
strength has been improving of late, we are still only at the
beginning of Sunspot Cycle 24 and reception is mediocre in general,
especially in the afternoons.

I have been finding 21470 at about 1600 UTC pretty fair at receiving
the BBC; also 17830 and, later the afternoons, 15400. Deutsche Welle
comes in fairly well on 11690 at 2100 UTC. Note that sometimes that
11690 frequency is interfered with by RTTY; the Sony's sync circuit
eliminates this interference. If you do choose to buy another
receiver, make certain that it has a synchronous detection circuit AND
features selectable-sideband sync.

But those signals have not been consistent. On some days they can come
in like gangbusters and on other days it is difficult to hear them at
all. This is unfortunately the nature of shortwave reception,
especially when we are at the bottom of a sunspot cycle.

If all else fails over the next couple of months, then you may
consider upgrading your antenna. The antenna (which MUST be matched to
the receiver) is of prime importance in receiving faint radio signals.

I have found, over the years, that the Sony ICF-SW7600GR used with a
Sony AN-LP1 is a really a fine receiving setup.

Best,

Joe

On Nov 19, 11:34*am, wrote:
I live in Ontario, Canada. *My goal is to listen to daytime SW
broadcasts beamed to Africa by the likes of BBC, DW, VOA, RNW, etc.

Right now I have a Sony 7600GR with a few indoor antennas (reel
antenna, ANLP1, etc.). *With this equipment it's difficult to get good
reception of these daytime signals.

I plan to install a wire antenna (around 30 feet long), either
outdoors along my 5.5' high wooden fence (I live in the suburbs) or in
my attic.

Will a Sony portable and an outdoor/attic wire be enough to get
consistently good reception of these stations? *Or should I get a
better receiver?

If so, what receiver should I buy?

Portable choices:
Sangean ATS-909 (I hear it can handle long antennas)
Eton E1XM

Tabletop choices:
Icom R75
Icom R1500
used Kenwood, Yaesu, etc. (ebay)

PC-controlled choices
Ten Tec Rx-320D

The Icom R75 is a little pricy for me ($700 here in Canada). But if it
is that much better than say, the Eton E1 at fishing out these
broadcast signals then I will seriously consider it.

I'm also a little afraid of buying a PC receiver because I live in a
noisy RF environment. *(I like the thought of receiving DRM, though!)

Thanks!

Old November 20th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Nov 19, 8:34*am, wrote:
[...]

Todddem,

You already have the "PC" so the Ten Tec RX 320D
is a viable Receiver to consider.
http://radio.tentec.com/amateur/receivers/RX320D
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0321.html

As "JP" pointed out as critical {may be more critical}
then the SWL Receiver is the Shortwave Antenna.

-IF- African is your 'target' reception area
-or- more importantly Broadcasts from Europe
to Africa. Then a Dipole Antenna may be your
better 'choice' in Shortwave Listening Antennas.

The Eavesdropper-T 'Trapped' Dipole Antenna is about
43 Feet Long, and can be pointed broadside to either
Europe {East} or Africa {SE} from Canada.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0680.html

The B&W ASW-60 Multi-Band Trap Dipole Antenna is
about 35 Feet Long, and again can be pointed
broadside to either Europe {East} or Africa {SE}
from Canada.
http://www.bwantennas.com/ama/specials.ama.htm#asw60

iane ~ RHF
Old November 20th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Billy Burpelson wrote:

SNIP

Either arrangement will be fine. Don't forget -- you say you live in a
noisy RF environment. The better your antenna, the better it will pick
up the signal...AND the noise.

SNIP

Don't know much about antennas do you.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old November 20th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
On Nov 19, 6:34 pm, wrote:
[...]

It's all to do with having the best antenna you can rig up on your
suburban lot. There are many variations of wire antenna's to try in an
inexpensive experiment, If that doesn't work there are a whole lot of
options on excellent active antenna's.

One of the best combo's is a simple outside wire antenna connected to
the MFJ 1020C as recommended in Passport 2009. Try that before you go
spending big bucks.

This thing looks quite promising, other than the fact you have to have
(yech) Windows to run it:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0106.html

Old November 20th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dave wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 19, 6:34 pm, wrote:
[...]

Oh joy. Turns out this will work on Linux. Temptation rears its ugly head.

Old November 20th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hay Joe. pardon the top post. little FYI here. i do better at
16:00u on 12095 for the BBC. i'm thinking it's just my PA
mountains. most of the time 21470 is iffy here. could be the
receiver here, been playing with my NRD 515 for the last few
weeks. but, the JRC wasn't as good as the 7030 on RSH last
weekend. but, if 21470 is bad, try 12095. or pray for sun
spots.

GOOD DX!
Drifter...

Old November 20th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
wrote:
I live in Ontario, Canada. My goal is to listen to daytime SW
broadcasts beamed to Africa by the likes of BBC, DW, VOA, RNW, etc.

I can get the BBC on 15400 here in Seattle, (round 20-22:00) but
it's down there at the limit of listenability.

Right now I have a Sony 7600GR with a few indoor antennas (reel
antenna, ANLP1, etc.). With this equipment it's difficult to get good
reception of these daytime signals.

I plan to install a wire antenna (around 30 feet long), either
outdoors along my 5.5' high wooden fence (I live in the suburbs) or in
my attic.

Will a Sony portable and an outdoor/attic wire be enough to get
consistently good reception of these stations? Or should I get a
better receiver?

I'd say that you've got a pretty good receiver already.

The couple of units that nobody has mentioned, (if you've got a couple
of hundred extra dollars burning a hole in your pocket), is that you can
get boxes that combine two antennas that allow you cancel out local noise
and, depending on how the two antennas are arraigned, signals on the same
frequency coming in from another direction. MFJ makes a couple, and I
can't remember the name of the other company (Timewave?). Another option
are the broadband loop antennas that can be rotated to null out noise.
(Wellbrook).

Mark Zenier

Old November 21st 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default RFspace SDR-IQ with RF DSP HF Receiver

On Nov 20, 6:47*am, Dave wrote:
Dave wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 19, 6:34 pm, wrote:
[...]

Dave - Go-A-Head Do-It : Buy-It and Try-It

RFspace SDR-IQ with RF DSP HF Receiver
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0106.html

then tell us how you like it ~ RHF
Old November 21st 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:
On Nov 20, 6:47 am, Dave wrote:
Dave wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 19, 6:34 pm, wrote:
[...]

.

I generally don't buy receive-only radios these days.
Old November 21st 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 19, 11:34*am, wrote:

[...]

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

As usual, let me disagree with Joe. Though I have to admit that he's
right that the 7600GR is a very impressive subcompact portable, I'm
not that impressed by it's performance with the AN-LP1. I own two AN-
LP1s and neither has ever been that good when used with either my
7600G or GR. Too much noise. Drowns out weak daytime reception of
stations not broadcasting to North America. The 7600 series radios
already have a high noise floor and the AN-LP1 just makes the problem
worse.

Instead, I get much better performance out of 25' of wire, even when
laid on the ground. The radio is sensitive enough that the wire
suffices to hear all kinds of broadcasts targeted at Europe and
Africa. The secret is to find someway to get the wire outside. An
external wire will usually run circles around anything inside. Some
folks tell me that there are active internal antennas up in the $350
to $400 price range that are very impressive, but I'd prefer to use
that money on another receiver (admittedly, I own too many!).

The AN-LP1 works much better with the Eton E5 (lower noise floor), a
Sony 2010, or even an Icom R-75.

Just my opinion,

Mike
Louisville, KY

Daytime IBOC AM DX nugget SeeingEyeDog Shortwave 0 August 17th 06 07:20 PM
WDLT 660 Mobile AL, daytime power at night? running dogg Shortwave 1 July 13th 05 03:43 AM
For sale: Part ownership in daytime AM in Alabama. Meyer Gottesman Broadcasting 0 October 5th 04 03:48 AM
MW daytime dx Ron Hardin Shortwave 0 January 2nd 04 03:33 PM
MW Daytime DX Ron Hardin Shortwave 4 December 29th 03 02:57 PM