Old November 19th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Best Rx $1K for daytime SWL (BBC beam to Africa, etc.)

I live in Ontario, Canada. My goal is to listen to daytime SW
broadcasts beamed to Africa by the likes of BBC, DW, VOA, RNW, etc.

Right now I have a Sony 7600GR with a few indoor antennas (reel
antenna, ANLP1, etc.). With this equipment it's difficult to get good
reception of these daytime signals.

I plan to install a wire antenna (around 30 feet long), either
outdoors along my 5.5' high wooden fence (I live in the suburbs) or in
my attic.

Will a Sony portable and an outdoor/attic wire be enough to get
consistently good reception of these stations? Or should I get a
better receiver?

If so, what receiver should I buy?

Portable choices:
Sangean ATS-909 (I hear it can handle long antennas)
Eton E1XM

Tabletop choices:
Icom R75
Icom R1500
used Kenwood, Yaesu, etc. (ebay)

PC-controlled choices
Ten Tec Rx-320D

The Icom R75 is a little pricy for me ($700 here in Canada). But if it
is that much better than say, the Eton E1 at fishing out these
broadcast signals then I will seriously consider it.

I'm also a little afraid of buying a PC receiver because I live in a
noisy RF environment. (I like the thought of receiving DRM, though!)

Thanks!

Old November 19th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 19, 6:34*pm, wrote:
[...]

It's all to do with having the best antenna you can rig up on your
suburban lot. There are many variations of wire antenna's to try in an
inexpensive experiment, If that doesn't work there are a whole lot of
options on excellent active antenna's.

One of the best combo's is a simple outside wire antenna connected to
the MFJ 1020C as recommended in Passport 2009. Try that before you go
spending big bucks.

Of course a quality tabletop like the Icom R75 will be great, but only
if connected to a good outside antenna or outside active antenna. You
will be surprised what your Sony 7600GR can do with a decent antenna
though.

Good luck and good listening

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Old November 19th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

For about $1,000 Check out Onkyo and Yamaha to name just a few.

Many of the latest new receivers are coming out with LAN support for
internet radio. This will allow you to hear any station on the web in
crystal clear digital sound 24 by 7. In addition you will have built-
in HD radio and XM, XM-HD 5.1 surround, and much much more like
digital coax, optical and HDMI inputs for 5.1 surround sound sources.
The list goes on...

SW is dead
Old November 19th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
[...]

I go with John, mount a good antenna. but, i'm not sure what the
front end is like in the 7600. a good receiver is only as good
as the antenna you use. i like the R75, good receiver. and don't
forget the Palstar R30. you can find good receivers on the
used market. just be careful. i would stay away from the E1, too
many returns on this one. you could check the yahoo groups for
info on any model receiver. eham is also good. just remember,
what works for me may not work for you.
in your area, you have a good used list in-
http://www.ontarioswapshop.com/
this list is up dated on Mondays.
good luck.

Drifter...
Old November 19th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 19, 12:34*pm, wrote:

[...]

Kiwa MW Loop.http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx- Hide quoted text -

Thanks John for the quick reply.

I notice the MFJ-1020C has a coaxial (SO-239) output to receiver. My
7600GR has a 1/8" (3.5mm) antenna input. Can I connect the two
together with a short coaxial cable with a coax-to-mini adapter on the
end? Or will the adapter cause some sort of problem (poor reception
or worse, fry my radio)?

I think I saw a coax to mini adapter at Universal Radio's website.

Thanks again.

Old November 19th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 19, 12:53*pm, Drifter wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Drifter...- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Drifter, I didn't know about the swap shop.
Old November 19th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

I live in Ontario, Canada. My goal is to listen to daytime SW
broadcasts beamed to Africa by the likes of BBC, DW, VOA, RNW, etc.

Unfortunately, you have not clearly stated your goals. If you mainly
want to listen to the *content* of the stations you mention and with
100% consistently good 'reception', use you desk top, lap top or wi-fi
radio and listen on the internet (reciva.com is one site that comes to
mind). You can get a great, dedicated wi-fi receiver for around 200
bucks (US). No static, no fading, no interference. All good, all the time.

However, if you want to "play radio" and love the magic of radio, by all
means, go for it. Your 7600 is a nice receiver and a 30 foot random wire
antenna is just fine for your needs.

Right now I have a Sony 7600GR with a few indoor antennas (reel
antenna, ANLP1, etc.). With this equipment it's difficult to get good
reception of these daytime signals.

Again, the 7600 is a good receiver. Hard to do too much better without
spending a -lot- more money.

I plan to install a wire antenna (around 30 feet long), either
outdoors along my 5.5' high wooden fence (I live in the suburbs) or in
my attic.

Either arrangement will be fine. Don't forget -- you say you live in a
noisy RF environment. The better your antenna, the better it will pick
up the signal...AND the noise.

Will a Sony portable and an outdoor/attic wire be enough to get
consistently good reception of these stations? Or should I get a
better receiver?

No, you will not get -consistently- good reception nor will a better
receiver necessarily help. A -significantly- better radio/antenna will
cost a lot more money. Even then, no matter how much money you spend,
you will never get the "*consistently* good reception" you desire. With
radio, you are always at the mercy of the propagation, QRM, QRN and QSB
gods. If 'content' is your primary goal, go with the internet.

Good luck and have fun!

Old November 19th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
[...]

I go with John & Drifter

a good random wire antenna and a co-ax lead into your receiver is the
way to go.

- and I would try TWO antennas, one up in your attic ; hopefullt
pointing north - south

and one on your fence,

Both fed by Co-ax lead ins.

Each one will work best for different frequencies.

In dry winter conditions, ground yourself before touching the
receiver;

and disconnecT the antennas when not in use.

The Sony is a fine receiver. Very good sound quality when used with
headphones.

I have a R-75, but it is over kill for what I listen to;

- But Great for Pirates !

Have fun !

infowars.com/listen.html#instructions_ajs
Old November 19th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 19, 11:34*am, wrote:
[...]

I am in the process of writing up a review of the new Grundig Satellit
750.
This receiver is hugely sensitive for World Band SW but requires a
GOOD outdoor antenna. I use a Hustler 5BTV vertical, ground mounted,
and for me this combination has resulted in superb reception with
strong signals exceeding anything I have previously used such as the
ATS909, etc. I haven't done a comparison with high end radios, like
the E1 and R75, but am more than satisfied with the 750. This radio is
very flexible with a great memory setup.
I would suggest you check out the 750 first on the Eton website, under
Grundig
heading at www.eton.com to see if this radio would fulfil your
requirements.
There is a PDF file for the owners manual there. The price here in
Canada was
$ 299.00 plus tax. My review on the 750 will be posted to Eham Net in
the next
little while.
This is a good time to check out everything available, but for the
very best results check out outdoor antennas, such a verticles, if you
are space limited. If I had it to do again, I would start out with
best portable or one of the mid priced tabletops
and a good antenna mounted outdoors. Like you I have a very noisy
location, but the 750 and Hustler verticle cut right through the noise
level and produce an amazingly low noise floor.
73 and good luck in choosing your recever, from SW4ever.
Old November 20th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 19, 6:38*pm, SW4ever wrote:
On Nov 19, 11:34*am, wrote:

[...]

73 and good luck in choosing your recever, from SW4ever.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks everyone for the tips.

I will take the majority's advice and stick with my 7600GR.

THe SAtellit 750 does sound tempting though.

I think I will order an MFJ-1020c and hook it up to a random wire in
my backyard.

I have another thread going to get advice on the details of that setup
(e.g., feedline, ground, etc.).

Thanks again.

Todd

Todd

Daytime IBOC AM DX nugget SeeingEyeDog Shortwave 0 August 17th 06 07:20 PM
WDLT 660 Mobile AL, daytime power at night? running dogg Shortwave 1 July 13th 05 03:43 AM
For sale: Part ownership in daytime AM in Alabama. Meyer Gottesman Broadcasting 0 October 5th 04 03:48 AM
MW daytime dx Ron Hardin Shortwave 0 January 2nd 04 03:33 PM
MW Daytime DX Ron Hardin Shortwave 4 December 29th 03 02:57 PM