Old November 23rd 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Can't wait for ibiquitys inflated Christmas sales figures thisyear!!

On Nov 22, 4:41*pm, Telamon
wrote:

The last time I looked a few months ago there was still no news of HD
integrated chips on the web sites of the semiconductor manufactures that
made press releases to that effect. All I can find are press releases
that claim future development. I can not find any progress on those
developments so as far as I know they are all vaporware.

No new HD integrated chips = no new low power designed radios.

If anyone has a link to samples, actual production, or data sheets of HD
integrated chips please post a link to them.

SiPort SP1010 chip
http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.j...leID=210102036

But, it looks like the electric chair for Mr. RFBurns:
http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_11027673
Old November 23rd 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
wrote:

On Nov 22, 4:41*pm, Telamon
wrote:

The last time I looked a few months ago there was still no news of HD
integrated chips on the web sites of the semiconductor manufactures that
made press releases to that effect. All I can find are press releases
that claim future development. I can not find any progress on those
developments so as far as I know they are all vaporware.

No new HD integrated chips = no new low power designed radios.

If anyone has a link to samples, actual production, or data sheets of HD
integrated chips please post a link to them.

SiPort SP1010 chip
http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.j...leID=210102036

What's interesting is that there is no news on the SiPort web site.

http://www.siport.com/

Once again I can't find any information on this mystery part other than
press releases. Missing in the article is a sales person to contact at
Siport, when samples will be available, how to get samples or production
parts, specifications or a data sheet on the part, etcetera. Still looks
like vaporware to me.

According to other press releases LG-Innotek is sampling its HD Radio
module based on SiPort¹s SP1010 single chip HD Radio receiver. The
"module" must be an applications board developed by SiPort as an example
for how a manufacturer would use the part. This is a little strange that
a development board is made for just a single part. There must be some
very specific PCB layout requirements for it to operate correctly.

In any event the first low power application radios may come from LG. A
search of the LG web site only revealed two old articles on HD radio and
nothing on the SiPort chip.

http://www.lginnotek.com/bin/search/search_list.html

I don't know about this, it sure just looks like marketing BS with
nothing substantial to back it up from SiPort, iBiquity, LG.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old November 23rd 08, 07:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message
http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_11027673

I understand that SiPort test engineer Jing Hua Wu flipped out when
told to work on HD radio chips. To quote him - "HD radio is junk
technology. It's a worthless endeavor and I won't do it." The he got
a gun and the rest is history.

Can't blame him for not wanting to do it myself.

The news links you are posting are secure. I can't get to it.

The SJ Mercury site sometimes requires you to sign up for a free account.
But the link isn't secure. May have just got messed up in your newsreader.
I'll repost he

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_11027673

Old November 23rd 08, 08:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 22, 7:27*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*Rfburns wrote:
On Nov 22, 7:07 pm, wrote:
On Nov 22, 4:41 pm, Telamon

chiphttp://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210102036

But, it looks like the electric chair for Mr.
RFBurns:http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_11027673

I understand that SiPort test engineer Jing Hua Wu flipped out when
told to work on HD radio chips. *To quote him - "HD radio is junk
technology. *It's a worthless endeavor and I won't do it." *The he got
a gun and the rest is history.

Can't blame him for not wanting to do it myself.

The news links you are posting are secure. I can't get to it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

The short story is a test engineer at SiPort killed 3 other employees:
CEO, operations manager, and HR. The reality is the project can go
forward without these people. No flames please. I know the chip
business. This doesn't kill the project presuming the money still
flows.

I worked in one chip company where a designer got hit by a car and
pretty much that killed the design due to temporary amnesia. He
recovered nicely though.
Old November 23rd 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 23, 3:45 am, wrote:
On Nov 22, 7:27 pm, Telamon

wrote:
In article
,

Rfburns wrote:
On Nov 22, 7:07 pm, wrote:
On Nov 22, 4:41 pm, Telamon

wrote:

[...]

None of this matters as HD radio is dead anyway. Thank God.

Old November 23rd 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Rfburns wrote:

None of this matters as HD radio is dead anyway. Thank God.

They're finally putting it in lots of cars. (You usually have to wait a
design cycle to make a major change in the built-ins). That's going to
be a big help only if the radios work. If they don't perform at least
as well as satellite, they're toast.
Old November 23rd 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Nov 23, 7:18*am, Rfburns wrote:
On Nov 23, 3:45 am, wrote:

On Nov 22, 7:27 pm, Telamon

wrote:
In article
,

*Rfburns wrote:
On Nov 22, 7:07 pm, wrote:
On Nov 22, 4:41 pm, Telamon

wrote:

[...]

Man Created HD-Radio :
God Had Nothing To Do With It [.]
Old November 23rd 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
wrote:

On Nov 22, 7:27*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*Rfburns wrote:
On Nov 22, 7:07 pm, wrote:
On Nov 22, 4:41 pm, Telamon

wrote:

[...]

Why would anyone flame this news? This is terrible. Do you know why the
test engineer went berserk? I can't believe the reason stated. If it was
me I would just quit and work somewhere else. I have actually done this
in the past so it's not just words.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old November 23rd 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Hall Monitor2" wrote in message
The bandwidth that it might "screw up" isn't being used for anything
anyway. Like most digitization, is is finding ways to use resources more
efficiently.

It is being "used" by a few hundred old-timers who still like to scan the AM
band, looking for that rare and elusive "catch" from 1000 miles away. They
think their outdated hobby transcends any attempt to make real use of the
bandwidth.

Mind you, their intent is not to actually *listen* to any programs on said
station. It's merely an ego thing - they just want to say "I heard such
and such station". People who actually *listen* to the radio are derisively
called "program listeners" by the "elite" DXers.

Yeah, spinning the dial to see what you could find was cool 40 years ago
when I was a kid, using an old tube radio. But these days it is just
silly. You can "catch" nearly any station in the world these days on the
net. You might as well put up a TV antenna on your roof and go up and
manually spin it around every time you change channels. Or would you
rather have cable/HD/satellite?

There is simply no reason for AM radio to still be noisy/static
filled/fading/generally sounding like crap. If it can't be fixed, then it
should just go away. If it can be fixed, then let's fix it. The current
technology is 100 years old, virtually unchanged. Frankly, its
embarrassing. No wonder kids today have no interest in it.

Old November 23rd 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 23, 5:29 pm, "Bob Campbell" wrote:
[...]

Bob, Bob, Bob. You're pathetic! Digital doesn't mean better. I'm
embarrased at you!