Old December 12th 08, 09:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Best Up to date Shortwave frequencies

Justtis wrote:

I've been away from the computer for awhile. Are Primetime and
..eke's....., can't remember it's name, still the best ones? Is one better
than the other for updates?

http://www.eibispace.de/dx/bc-b08.txt

http://www.eibispace.de/

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Drake R7, R8, R8A and R8B
70' and 200' wires
I swear by, not at, Drake receivers.

And, as always, don't do business with The Huntington Investment Company.

Old December 12th 08, 10:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

That's what I'm looking for thanks. Is one any better with updates than the
other? I've ordered the 2009 Passport, just waiting for it to arrive late
December I'm told. Still I find myself pening in new frequencies quite a
bit and it's nice to have a reliable source for that material. Thanks for
the information.
OT: I just purchased a new HD 250 gig for the C: drive and found out it
wasn't a faulty drive after all. The ribbon cable apparently developed a
disconnect at one of the plug ends. Vibration I guess. Second guess is
that the cable was made in China.
I do enjoy the hobby, when time permits, utes especially. Just waiting
like everyone else for conditions to improve.
I do have a few receivers as well:
Drake R8 Just the way it is .... nice.
Icom R-75 Kiwa audio mod forthcoming
Icom R71A Have memory board and Kiwa filters yet to install. Very
well made, has that PRO look.
Yaesu FRG-7700 Another nice oldie
Yaesu FRG-7 This one too.
Grundig "Satellit 800" Big
Grundig 750 YUK! Looks nice though. Not all that great on
batteries.
Grundig G5 One of my favorites Nice hefty, rubbery non-slip feel.
Grundig/Eton S350DL Recent Kiwa audio upgrade. $22 was worth it.
Grundig S350
Grundig YB 400
Grudig YB 500 Another favorite with RDS for FM
CCrane SW Nice reception and sound Decent on batteries
CCrane Plus With Kiwa audio upgrade....made good improvement. Hard
on batteries
Kenwood R-1000 Kiwa audio and PS upgrades yet to be done.
Radio Shack DX-398
Realistic 12-655 TRF "Oldie AM DXer"
Realistic DX-66
Realistic SW-60
Realistic DX-302
Realistic SX-190
Realistic DX-390 & 392
Panasonic RF-4800 Big but has it's own spot on the bench.
Panasonic RF-B65
Sony 2010's (2) Full Kiwa mods to one
Sony ICF-5900W
Sony ICF-7600GR unmuted
Zenith TransOceanics D7000Y and R7000-1
SuperRadio(1) and (3)badged RCA
Many others I've had some including R-5000, FRG-100B, RF-3100 & 2200,
ICF-SW77, DX-440 etc.
Sony AN-1, MFJ-1020 noise cancellor, MFJ-959B Active, Ameco TPA active, 80
foot outdoor longwire.
Scanners: Alinco DJ-X10K, Bearcat 898 Trunker, Discone antenna 25ft. on
tower.
A few service manuals as well as 55 Sams Transistor Servicing manuals
(approx. 20 sets per manual) sets from the 50's through 60's.
Just a hobby!
Some people go through cars and women, I prefer radios! Much cheaper but
harder to find space for.

Old December 12th 08, 11:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Justtis wrote:

That's what I'm looking for thanks. Is one any better with updates than the
other?

Just depends on who updates what and when! This is all voluntary of course.

Another list you might find of some use is:

http://www.geocities.jp/binewsjp/bib08.txt

But bear in mind that there is some old out of date info buried in amongst that
one that gets weeded out from time to time.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 12th 08, 11:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Make that an MFJ-1026 Noise cancellor.
Plus portables Radio Shack Pro-99 "800" coverage scanner and a Uniden 246T
TrunkTracker 3.
Unlike the wife, I don't have to take them shopping with me but I do.

Old December 13th 08, 10:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

Justtis wrote:

I've been away from the computer for awhile. *Are Primetime and
..eke's....., can't remember it's name, still the best ones? * Is one
better
than *the other for updates?

http://www.eibispace.de/dx/bc-b08.txt

http://www.eibispace.de/

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Drake R7, R8, R8A and R8B
70' and 200' wires
I swear by, not at, Drake receivers.

And, as always, don't do business with The Huntington Investment Company.- Hide quoted text -

Eleven scanners here myself ;-)
Old December 13th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 12, 5:57*am, "Justtis" wrote:
Some people go through cars and women, I prefer radios! * Much cheaper but
harder to find space for.

Nah, I rather go to bed next to a warm wife than a radio...

Joking of course,.... that's one heck of a radio collection you got
there my friend.

I've seen a lot of rotten reviews for the Grundig 750, probably poor
quality control along with small production. Too bad the shortwave
market for high end units is almost non-existent anymore.

Too bad, it looks like a rugged unit. I'm surprised that every radio
isn't made in China these days, sad really because I think the
European/American market would be willing to fork out another 50 bucks
for a domestic made unit. They probably have to produce all shortwave
radios in mass factories in China because the cost of building an
American factory just to manufacture radios would be prohibitive in
cost.
Old December 13th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

SC Dxing wrote:

snip
They probably have to produce all shortwave
radios in mass factories in China because the cost of building an
American factory just to manufacture radios would be prohibitive in
cost.

The [Premium-Rx] mailing list is quite active and its participants
have a significant variety of domestically made quality receivers
both classic and contemporary. There seems to be sufficient markets
military, gov't., commercial and personal to support domestic
manufacture of high-end receivers.

Michael

Old December 14th 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 13, 6:30*pm, msg wrote:
SC Dxing wrote:
The [Premium-Rx] mailing list is quite active and its participants
have a significant variety of domestically made quality receivers
both classic and contemporary. There seems to be sufficient markets
military, gov't., commercial and personal to support domestic
manufacture of high-end receivers.

I have to disagree in a polite way. If the market was large, more
brick & mortar retailers would carry the higher end receivers. It's a
niche market at best. Even the Grundig G5, G6, 350 are only carried at
Radio Shack. Nothing above that.

Best Buy and Circuit City didn't carry a single shortwave anymore
except for the "emergency" radios. Walmart doesn't even bother with
them. I remember Radio Shack used to have an entire section for
shortwaves including table top models. I don't even think Radio shack
sells a specific shortwave antenna anymore.

Just reading around the web, (which might not mean much), seems like
all the higher end portables are duds or spotty quality.. E1, Satelitt
750, etc a love/hate relationship...

Right now I am happy with my Grundig G6, the only real downside is the
sound quality isn't great, but it's a small unit so that was expected.
It sounds good via the headphones though. Although I didn't care much
for the feel of the 350, I might get it for the speaker quality alone.