Old December 26th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Eduardo - we may witness the end of terrestrial radio (temp. 10dbapproved)

"FCC Allows Stealth HD Power Boosts"

"Although the Federal Communications Commission has deferred (for now)
any formal action on its inquiry into whether or not to allow
broadcast radio stations to increase the power of their digital ('HD')
sidebands by a factor of ten, the agency's employing the tried and
true method of 'creating facts on the ground' by allowing individual
stations (or station clusters) to individually apply for special
temporary authority to hike their HD power levels. This is taking
place even though radio's engineering community is deeply divided on
the issue of an HD sideband power increase. Comments filed by the
Prometheus Radio Project and Media Access Project (disclaimer: on
which I informally consulted) succinctly summarize the dispute. The
main question is: is it realistically possible use HD Radio as a tool
to improve the existing medium, or will HD intentionally degrade it so
that the spectrum's repurposement becomes inevitable - or, at the very
least, make its ownership more consolidated?"

http://tinyurl.com/6vlmoo

This action was taken in direct violation of the Congressional mandate
to stand-down:

"Lawmakers order FCC to stand down; put actions on hold"

"Senator Jay Rockefeller (D-WV) and Representative Henry Waxman (D-CA)
today called on FCC Chairman Kevin Martin to put the agency's actions
on hold unless they are urgent or required by law. Rockefeller's and
Waxman's committees both have jurisdiction over the FCC... If the FCC
indeed must stand down (an FCC spokesperson said they are reviewing
the order right now), then the WCS-SDARS issue - and even the HD Radio
mandate - would likely be put on hold until the new administration
moves in."

http://tinyurl.com/63b9wz

Terrestrial radio may be the only case in history, where an industry
was so desperate that it had to destroy itself, in order to try and
save itself:

"FCC to Consider Raising FM-HD Power Levels"

"Why would radio stations take the risk of degrading the quality of
their existing analog service in order to pimp a flawed technology
which nobody's listening to? It's almost as if the strategy of the HD
Radio Alliance is to degrade analog radio service in order to force
digital adoption - kind of a variant on the 'we had to destroy the
village to save it' rationale."

http://tinyurl.com/67bgv7

I have to applaud Struble - this is one of the most incredible scams
in all of history! With HD radios not selling, there is no ROI - this
just confirms my beliefs that HD/IBOC is just about jamming the
smaller, competitive adjacents off the dial, nothing else. Lawsuits
will fly, and the smaller stations will go dark, just as planned. BTW
- is there anything good on SW, since DRM is a failure? LOL!
Old December 26th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 26, 2:04�pm, wrote:
On Dec 25, 9:16�pm, PocketRadio wrote:

"FCC to Consider Raising FM-HD Power Levels"

"Why would radio stations take the risk of degrading the quality of
their existing analog service in order to pimp a flawed technology
which nobody's listening to? It's almost as if the strategy of the HD
Radio Alliance is to degrade analog radio service in order to force
digital adoption - kind of a variant on the 'we had to destroy the
village to save it' rationale."

Stop the propaganda lies!

Digital HD Radio doesn't degrade FM analog. �FM digital HD Radio is
superior to analog FM in every way.

I suppose you're still advocating for the superiority of vinyl 33-1/2
rpm records and the horse and buggy? �What's the matter? �Does this
hit your buggy-whip factory revenue? bwaHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

"HD Interference: Not Just For AM Anymore"

"Radio World Engineering Extra dropped a bomb this month with a very
provocative cover story: 'What Are We Doing to Ourselves, Exactly?'
Written by Doug Vernier, the man who authored the technical
specifications for an ongoing Corporation for Public Broadcasting-
sponsored HD Radio interference analysis, the report is the first of
its kind to document interference between FM-HD stations around the
country. Using anecdotal reportage, some sophisticated contour-
mapping, and presumably 'early data' from the CPB study, Vernier's
article conclusively proves how stations running in hybrid HD/analog
mode can (and do) interfere somewhat significantly with not only
themselves, but their neighbors on the FM dial."

http://diymedia.net/archive/1207.htm#122307
Old December 27th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 26, 6:14*pm, Dave wrote:
wrote:
No one needs your propaganda "respect". *And no one needs any
"technical research" lies by anti-digital propagandists.

The only thing that matters is what the listener hears. *What this
listener hears and my friends hear on FM digital HD radio is superior
to analog. Especially when broadcast using the full bandwidth on a
single digital HD channel.

Go buy yourself a respectable HiFi receiver with respectable speakers
instead of your Degen and Grundig portable chinese radio crap. *Better
you sell them soon as ANALog radio will soon go the way of the horse
and buggy. *Whips included - bwaHAHAHA!

HD radio is Supurb for classical as well as jazz music in every way -
Period - Full Stop.

Now run along little Red ObaMa0 Nazi breath. *You're stinking up the
place.

You're wrong. *The compression scheme used by HD has lots of artifacts.- Hide quoted text -

Your brain and ears have a lot of artifacts.
Old December 27th 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 26, 3:54 pm, wrote:
No one needs your propaganda "respect". And no one needs any
"technical research" lies by anti-digital propagandists.

The only thing that matters is what the listener hears. What this
listener hears and my friends hear on FM digital HD radio is superior
to analog. Especially when broadcast using the full bandwidth on a
single digital HD channel.

Go buy yourself a respectable HiFi receiver with respectable speakers
instead of your Degen and Grundig portable chinese radio crap. Better
you sell them soon as ANALog radio will soon go the way of the horse
and buggy. Whips included - bwaHAHAHA!

HD radio is Supurb for classical as well as jazz music in every way -
Period - Full Stop.

Now run along little Red ObaMa0 Nazi breath. You're stinking up the
place.

A bit testy today aren't you. Chill out. BTW, I don't own Degen or
Grundig and suspect I've got better receivers than you'll ever have -
just in case you want to turn this into a ****ing match. Happy
Holidays!

Old December 27th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 26, 4:28*pm, PocketRadio wrote:
On Dec 26, 2:04 pm, wrote:

[...]

http://diymedia.net/archive/1207.htm#122307- Hide quoted text -

My new Yamaha 3900 A/V receiver sounds fantastic on FM HD radio
stations.
NO INTERFERENCE WHATSOEVER!

But my Yamaha also has Internet Radio which is competing with analog
AM and analog FM for my ears.
I'm affraid that analog is loosing out.
Old December 27th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 26, 3:27*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
No one needs your propaganda "respect". *And no one needs any
"technical research" lies by anti-digital propagandists.

Yeah, your propaganda is better right?

The only thing that matters is what the listener hears. *What this
listener hears and my friends hear on FM digital HD radio is superior
to analog. Especially when broadcast using the full bandwidth on a
single digital HD channel.

Start with the truth then add the twisting lies. Yes, what the listener
hears is what counts. It is the end result of the broadcast. The rest
you write is either incorrect or unsupported BS.

Go **** up rope.

HD radio is Supurb for classical as well as jazz music in every way -
Period - Full Stop.

No it is not.

Now run along little Red ObaMa0 Nazi breath. *You're stinking up the
place.

Dear anonymous Trolling Google Grouper. Post someplace else.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Which HD receiver are you using, Telamon? The one inside you
imaginary brain?
Old December 27th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
On Dec 26, 6:14 pm, Dave wrote:

You're wrong. The compression scheme used by HD has lots of artifacts.- Hide quoted text -

Your brain and ears have a lot of artifacts.

Sez yer momma.
Old December 27th 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
My new Yamaha 3900 A/V receiver sounds fantastic on FM HD radio
stations.
NO INTERFERENCE WHATSOEVER!

But my Yamaha also has Internet Radio which is competing with analog
AM and analog FM for my ears.
I'm affraid that analog is loosing out.

The interference issue for IBOC FM is not so much with the host station's
analog (or IBOC) signals, it is with interference to adjacent channels (and
in some cases second adjacent). This is with the current scheme of -20dB
IBOC sidebands. It's considered by a large number of engineers (and so
station owners/groups) that a 10dB boost in IBOC sideband output will cause
significant interference to the host station's analog signal, and much worse
interference to adjacent stations. This is less of a problem on FM, but
still a problem. AM IBOC, even at the -20dB power level, is already a large
problem with interference to adjacent channels at night, and several
stations have opted not to use it at all at night, some have shut it off
entirely.

Old December 27th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default IBOC : Side-by-Side : Digital FM HD-Radio Does Sound Better ThanAnalog FM Radio To The Average FM Radio Listener

On Dec 26, 4:14*pm, Dave wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Never Forget That : We are the 3%~5% of Radio Listeners :
Who are so-called Technical Experts and Distant Radio
(DXers) -aka- Radio Fanatics . . . [: RF Techies :]

BUT - Also Remember that the 'other' 95%~97% of Radio
Listeners are "Local" {Only} Radio Listeners who only have
a few Local Radio Stations that they "Love-To" "Listen-To"
-and- To Them FM HD-Radio does SOUND Better [.]

Better To What ? - To Them It Sound Better Than the old
FM 'Analog' Radio and other comparison is simply not valid
to them : FM Radio is FM Radio; and that is the Standard
that their Ears Judge [.]

Please Note - That these comments are 'only' directed to
FM HD-Radio and 'not' AM HaHaDoh {HD} Radio :---{{{{{

deal with the reality that 'we' do not count in the
great game of the am & fm radio business~ RHF