Old April 13th 09, 04:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Ibiquity IBOC - no hd radio upgrade needed!

I love it - In my area several stations that were transmitting
ibiquity digital junk have turned it off but they continue to have
spots proclaiming “now in crystal clear HD”. Thus leading consumers
to believe that they are hearing their radio station in “crystal clear
HD” – with no hd radio upgrade needed!

Talk about confusion! Good way to promote a product – let them think
they already have it! Struble you’re a genius.

Oh yea – hd radio is exciting! No need to buy one (if they were even
available) because you already have one!
Old April 13th 09, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 13, 11:24*am, wrote:
I love it - In my area several stations that were transmitting
ibiquity digital junk have turned it off but they continue to have
spots proclaiming “now in crystal clear HD”. *Thus leading consumers
to believe that they are hearing their radio station in “crystal clear
HD” – with no hd radio upgrade needed!

Talk about confusion! *Good way to promote a product – let them think
they already have it! *Struble you’re a genius.

Oh yea – hd radio is exciting! * No need to buy one (if they were even
available) because you already have one!

The Alliance and their radio partners are to blame for the lack of or
**** poor marketing!
When buying a new car if you ask the sales person about digital radio,
they'll sell you Satellite radio?
When HD units start coming standard in new cars is when the rubber
will hit the road..
consumers won't understand why the receiver flip flops between analog
& digital.
Enough blame can go around for everyone!

Old April 18th 09, 05:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article 49ea4fad.1607812@chupacabra,
Bob Dobbs wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
dave wrote:

wrote:
I love it - In my area several stations that were transmitting
ibiquity digital junk have turned it off but they continue to have
spots proclaiming ³now in crystal clear HD². Thus leading consumers
to believe that they are hearing their radio station in ³crystal clear
HD² * with no hd radio upgrade needed!

Talk about confusion! Good way to promote a product * let them think
they already have it! Struble you¹re a genius.

Oh yea * hd radio is exciting! No need to buy one (if they were even
available) because you already have one!

KFI, always Johnny-on-the-spot, just fired their IBOC up. Resulting in
an annoying wubba-wubba sound whenever one of their sidebands fades a
little (which is several times a minute).

For some reason they sound especially bad on the AR7030+ now.

They sound OK here, full HD, still takes a few moments to have the HD
icon light up and the ID to appear in place of the frequency. Once the
HD locks in it stays and the audio sounds better even during QSB.

Well, how about analog? I have some hiss in there all the time and often
times warbling rumble kind of noise. It's very annoying and I wish they
would turn that HD crap off.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old April 18th 09, 07:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article 49e96250.715640@chupacabra,
Bob Dobbs wrote:

Telamon wrote:
Well, how about analog? I have some hiss in there all the time and often
times warbling rumble kind of noise.

There's some hiss in analog
but it goes away when the HD locks
I haven't heard any rumbling but I'm over a hundred miles away
down here on the border, and on the other side of the station from you
so it could be something up your way.
There are a few times when it seems I hear a transient echo but I think
that the audio version of temporary digital corruption (QSB related?)
like what would be seen as pixelation when it occurs on TV.

The data is supposed to have error correction. Maybe the errors are
exceeding the maximum rate. If the system is engineered correctly you
should not be able to hear problems due to errors but what is done right
in IBOC.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 18th 09, 07:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 17, 10:26*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
Telamon wrote:
Well, how about analog? I have some hiss in there all the time and often
times warbling rumble kind of noise.

There's some hiss in analog
but it goes away when the HD locks
I haven't heard any rumbling but I'm over a hundred miles away
down here on the border, and on the other side of the station from you
so it could be something up your way.
There are a few times when it seems I hear a transient echo but I think
that the audio version of temporary digital corruption (QSB related?)
like what would be seen as pixelation when it occurs on TV.

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

The hiss doesn't go away for people that don't have HD, oh, like
someone listening on a AR7030+. It isn't that the radio sidebands are
so wide that they are getting the HD noise (OK, signal) because you
can select a narrow filter on the 7030. Not all IBOC stations have
this problem, so it could be pilot error of the broadcast tech that
set it up.

Now the poor schmuck using a car radio, which doesn't have tight
filters, has to put up with the IBOC noise. So they brickwall the high
frequency content of the analog, add noise, then tell you it is for
you own good. This is so nasty, Dick Cheney must be involved.

Old April 18th 09, 01:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:
Telamon wrote:
In article ,
dave wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I'm in Canyon Country. Telemon's in Ventura. Where be you?

I guess I could connect the 75' random wire to the BA Recepter HD and
see if it'll lock. I've only ever heard one MW HD station (710 from
North Hollywood). The Mexican under KFI seems to be absent lately.
Old April 18th 09, 01:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:

Well, how about analog? I have some hiss in there all the time and often
times warbling rumble kind of noise. It's very annoying and I wish they
would turn that HD crap off.

The IBOC signal is either side of the AM carrier. Each IBOC sideband is
identical but out-of-phase with the other. The theory is the IBOC
sidebands cancel each other out in your receiver. But if one sideband
propagates better than the other (which is always the case once you get
a few miles from the transmitter) the cancellation is not complete.
This is when you hear the digital hash and the wubba-wubba sound.

For those of us using a radio with selectable sideband synchronous
detection, but unable to choose USB and LSB at the same time (like my
Drake SW2) we are forced to listen in plain AM.

Clear Channel has 2 full blown flamethrowers crippled by IBOC in
California now. It's a shame. Citadel gets it. KGO and KKOH do not
use IBOC at night. KFI and KFBK do, and it really diminishes their signals.