Old July 15th 09, 05:17 PM posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.radio.shortwave

Default The "Progressive" Promised Land

On 07/15/09 09:30, David Eduardo wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote in message
On 7/15/09 01:07 , David Eduardo wrote:

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
On 7/14/09 14:26 , David Eduardo wrote:

As evidenced by the hundreds of millions in fines assessed against
radio since 1977 for Clapton's "Cocaine."

We are, I think, talking about today. Most of what Stern did when on
terrestrial radio would likely get the FCC in a uproar today; stations
are fined when celebrities who are totally out of a network's control
utter cuss words.

"Cocaine," I heard this morning. Is that current enough for you?
"Money" I heard about an hour ago "bull****" intact. "Jet Airliner"
over the weekend.

And Mancow has been using Cheech and Chong drops, making anti-gay,
anti ...his words...Jesse Jackass, and blatant drug references for
months.

You need to get out of the server farm, once in a while.

I don't even know where there is a server farm.

Bull****.

And Mancow has been fined and sanctioned repeatedly; the Commission is
considerably less tolerant today. Remember, the FCC is not proactive but
reactive. All it takes is a complaint about a song with "bull****" in it
to get them started. Many groups and stations already have policies
against such content and have eliminated or edited songs to comply with
internal policy.

And again, the song has been playing, here, on Bonneville's WDRV
since the frequencies were acquired from the Florians. Unedited,
played regularly. As recently as last evening.

For clarification, that would be just YESTERDAY. And I'll hear it
again, likely, TOMORROW.

Disk jockeys flapping their gums get cracked regularly for their
content. But song lyrics have been challenged for years. And have
those challenges have been beaten in the courts, for years.

Again, as late as YESTERDAY. If there would be complaints, you'd
think it would be within Bonneville itself.

As for Mancow...SOME, but not all of his stations have been
fined, over the years. He's been on the air here, again, for nearly
a year now. And his content isn't changing.

But by all means, don't let the facts get in the way of a good
pedantic rant.

Old July 15th 09, 06:43 PM posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.radio.shortwave

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

[...]

'Eduardo' would never do that!

Old July 15th 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I like those Cheech & Chong movies.Especially the one where that dude
cranks up that motorcycle inside that house.
cuhulin

Old July 15th 09, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

MAJOR VICTORY For ARMY WARRIOR.
http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum-269379

YEEEEEEEE HAWWWW!
GO ARMY!
and GO NAVY! GO AIR FORCE! GO MARINES! GO COAST GUARD!
cuhulin

Old July 15th 09, 07:41 PM posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.radio.shortwave

"D. Peter Maus" wrote in message
On 07/15/09 09:30, David Eduardo wrote:

I don't even know where there is a server farm.

Bull****.

No, the bull****ter is in your mirror. Your only saving grace is a better
vocabulary and writing style than Mr. Ace.

I have never been near a server farm, and the closest one I know to exist is
in central Washington state. There may be one down the street, for all I
know, but since programming and programming research have been my concern
for the last coupla' decades, I have little practical interest in knowing
where a bunch of servers are located, and even less curiosity.

From discussions at the recent NAB, every communications attorney in DC and
elsewhere seems to be cautioning it's clients on the use of profanity which
goes beyond the clearer "sexual acts and excretory functions.... appealing
to the prurient interest" guidelines. Additionally, content which appears to
promote the use of drugs is being given greater review.

In my example, I mentioned something to the effect of "giving instructions
on setting up a bong.." which could be interpreted to be consent to or
promotion of the usage of (illegal) drugs. That's different from references
to a drug, spoken, sung or otherwise.

Most stations and operators do not want to be "the" test case on a new
application of community standards, since there have been rulings such as
the Boise case where "local" has been taken out of the application of
standards, meaning that community standards are whatever the FCC decides
them to be.

Every time I drive out of town, I am passed by speeders. I know, and they
know, that there is some degree of certainty that they will be stopped and
fined. Similarly, many station operators know that they are operating in a
gray area, and may be fined. Some risk the consequences since there are no
black and white rules in place. Others do not take the risk as they do not
want to be the cause of the determination of such rules.

What's not understood by many is that things like the "F" word are not
prohibited... just most uses of it are, based on content. But if a PBS
station had a professor who discussed how offensive terms made their way
into the language, including the word origins and applications, the FCC
would likely not find such usage offensive.

But the consensus is that there is more attention being placed on content
than we have seen for many decades.

Old July 15th 09, 08:04 PM posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.radio.shortwave

On 07/15/09 13:41, David Eduardo wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote in message
On 07/15/09 09:30, David Eduardo wrote:

I don't even know where there is a server farm.

Bull****.

No, the bull****ter is in your mirror. Your only saving grace is a
better vocabulary and writing style than Mr. Ace.

Actually, I rather enjoy Ace's crisp, pointed style.

I have never been near a server farm, and the closest one I know to
exist is in central Washington state. There may be one down the street,
for all I know, but since programming and programming research have been
my concern for the last coupla' decades, I have little practical
interest in knowing where a bunch of servers are located, and even less
curiosity.

From discussions at the recent NAB, every communications attorney in DC
and elsewhere seems to be cautioning it's clients on the use of
[...]

Nice academic backpedalling. But it doesn't address that your
statement was simply wrong. Stations DO run songs with drug
references. Jocks DO say make drug references in their patter.

And they do it today. With impugnity.

If some choose not to, that's not a blanket incumbent on the
broad number of stations.

If there's more attention to content, it's focussed on things
like race, sex, and politics. Drug lyrics still get a pass all over
the country.

And for the record, consensus does not equal truth.

Old July 16th 09, 01:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

My old buddy was in the Navy.He was a Ship Fitter/Pipe Fitter.Four years
Active Duty on the USS Ticonderoga and the rest of his years in the Navy
Reserves, he put about thirty years in the Navy.He also retired from
delivering the U S Mail and then he worked in the maintnance department
at a building in down town Jackson.
cuhulin