Old January 8th 10, 02:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Antenna Supplies on Line????????

Hello,

Where does everyone get their supplies?

I need a cheap but strong magnetic trunk/roof mount mobile base with a 259
on the coax and a 239 SO on the mount. I don't see a lot of them out there
and they seem pricey for what they are. It's been many years since I last
messed around so I likely don't know where to look (and don't want to wait
for a late March hamfest).

It wouldn't matter on one item, but I am going to be doing a number of
things in the future so this would be a good time to take a site out for a
test drive, so to speak. Better to try someone out for price vs. quality vs.
service/dependability now than on the bigger-bucks items.

Thanks for any suggestions

Old January 8th 10, 03:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 8, 9:46*am, "rdoc" wrote:
Hello,

Where does everyone get their supplies?

I need a cheap but strong magnetic trunk/roof mount mobile base with a 259
on the coax and a 239 SO on the mount. I don't see a lot of them out there
and they seem pricey for what they are. It's been many years since I last
messed around so I likely don't know where to look (and don't want to wait
for a late March hamfest).

It wouldn't matter on one item, but I am going to be doing a number of
things in the future so this would be a good time to take a site out for a
test drive, so to speak. Better to try someone out for price vs. quality vs.
service/dependability now than on the bigger-bucks items.

Thanks for any suggestions

Look up Universal Radio online. They have a lot of items.
Old January 8th 10, 04:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 1/8/10 08:46 , rdoc wrote:
Hello,

Where does everyone get their supplies?

I need a cheap but strong magnetic trunk/roof mount mobile base with a 259
on the coax and a 239 SO on the mount. I don't see a lot of them out there
and they seem pricey for what they are. It's been many years since I last
messed around so I likely don't know where to look (and don't want to wait
for a late March hamfest).

It wouldn't matter on one item, but I am going to be doing a number of
things in the future so this would be a good time to take a site out for a
test drive, so to speak. Better to try someone out for price vs. quality vs.
service/dependability now than on the bigger-bucks items.

Thanks for any suggestions

Universal Radio is good.

Grove, is another.

Parts Express, Digi-key, Mouser and AES.

Allied Electronics.

Newark.

If you can't find what you're looking for with these, you're
likely to find that you're not going to find it.

Old January 9th 10, 01:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"rdoc" wrote in
:

Hello,

Where does everyone get their supplies?

I need a cheap but strong magnetic trunk/roof mount mobile base with a
259 on the coax and a 239 SO on the mount. I don't see a lot of them
out there and they seem pricey for what they are. It's been many years
since I last messed around so I likely don't know where to look (and
don't want to wait for a late March hamfest).

It wouldn't matter on one item, but I am going to be doing a number of
things in the future so this would be a good time to take a site out
for a test drive, so to speak. Better to try someone out for price vs.
quality vs. service/dependability now than on the bigger-bucks items.

Thanks for any suggestions

Amateur Electronic Supply (AES) has a good selection.

Here's a section of their online catalog:

http://www.aesham.com/PDF_cat/pages068-073.pdf

Page 5 of the pdf file, the Diamond SPM35

It's $45 though. Not sure if that's out of your desired price range.

Old January 9th 10, 11:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

rdoc wrote:
Hello,

Where does everyone get their supplies?

I need a cheap but strong magnetic trunk/roof mount mobile base with a 259
on the coax and a 239 SO on the mount. I don't see a lot of them out there
and they seem pricey for what they are. It's been many years since I last
messed around so I likely don't know where to look (and don't want to wait
for a late March hamfest).

It wouldn't matter on one item, but I am going to be doing a number of
things in the future so this would be a good time to take a site out for a
test drive, so to speak. Better to try someone out for price vs. quality vs.
service/dependability now than on the bigger-bucks items.

Thanks for any suggestions

I use Jun's Electronics in Culver City

www.hamcity.com

Old January 9th 10, 11:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D. Peter Maus wrote:

Universal Radio is good.

Grove, is another.

Parts Express, Digi-key, Mouser and AES.

Allied Electronics.

Newark.

If you can't find what you're looking for with these, you're likely to
find that you're not going to find it.

Nobody mentioned HRO. Try to do business with a radio store before you
go to the GSA vendors.

Old January 9th 10, 12:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 8, 8:31*am, "D. Peter Maus"
wrote:
On 1/8/10 08:46 , rdoc wrote:

[...]

Universal and Mouser are the only places I have frequented.....some
times Radio Shack for adapters - I think I have about every adapter
for every occasion in my parts drawers.

Old January 9th 10, 12:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 9, 3:40*am, dave wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:

Universal Radio is good.

Grove, is another.

Parts Express, Digi-key, Mouser and AES.

Allied Electronics.

Newark.

If you can't find what you're looking for with these, you're likely to
find that you're not going to find it.

Nobody mentioned HRO. *Try to do business with a radio store before you
go to the GSA vendors.- Hide quoted text -

We have a great radio/HAM etc. store in Hamilton called R&L
Electronics. You would be like a kid in the candy store at this place.
The first time I heard about that place I made the long drive there
and wasn't dissapointed. The store literally sits and is part of the
corner of a road - pretty odd.

I pulled into there and saw this setup of different arrays of antennas
outside and about crapped my britches...lol. I walked in that front
door for the first time and took a few steps into the store and just
stopped in my tracks with a huge smile on my face and one of the HAMS
behind the huge counter looked at me and said "your first time here?"
I said "yep" - - and proceeded to spend a tad over fours in there. IMO
- that would have to be the perfect job....it wouldn't even feel like
work.:-)

Old January 9th 10, 08:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 1/9/10 06:34 , Gregg wrote:
On Jan 9, 3:40 am, wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:

[...]

There was a place in Palatine called Ham Heaven, as part of a big
electronics store. Receivers old and new, parts, books,
tubes...racks upon racks of tubes...and of course a couple of
tri-banders on masts out in the yard, and an A-D DX Ultra back
there, as well. Every conceivable electronic device from early
carbon gridleak resistors for A-K TRF's, to current LSIC. And
everything in between.

I brought a lunch my second time in there.

They were moved out by the city some years ago, and sold the
inventory to O'Hare Electronics. Must of which was discarded, or
sold off to collectors. The staff at O'Hare didn't care much for
vintage parts buyers and made it more difficult than it needed to be
to find something.

Shame, too. I would have set up a direct deposit account.

Old January 9th 10, 11:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 9, 12:05*pm, "D. Peter Maus"
wrote:
On 1/9/10 06:34 , Gregg wrote:

On Jan 9, 3:40 am, *wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:

[...]

* *Shame, too. I would have set up a direct deposit account.- Hide quoted text -

LOL - indeed Peter I know what you mean, it sounds like the same place
as R&L. I pray they never go out of business because not only do they
carry everything imaginable but EVERY person in that store is so
nice....just seems people at work nowadays just aren't like that.

They'll help you with anything or any question and do it with a smile.
Gotta ask, did you really bring your lunch the second time you went
there? That's hilarious and only would a radio nut do something like
that.