Old January 13th 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default AM 3 Mhz ?

There are many stations working in AM in the band 3000-3210 Khz. The
carriers are not too stable. On some frequencies there are several stations
with simultaneous trafic, so I presume they are far from each other.
Language seems russian, not sure, and trafic is professionnal, rather
strange for AM transmissions.
Does someone knows what service it is?

Here is some audio samples received in France:
http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...%203071Khz.mp3
http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...%203174Khz.mp3

Old January 14th 10, 01:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I'm horrible at foreign languages but did you check this list of stations?

http://www.geocities.jp/binewsjp/bib09.txt

One other possibility is if you are certain it's Russian, could be a
harmonic of 1500-1600khz transmissions.

I get several strong signals on 90 meters here in the states at night
from US domestic shortwave broadcasters and some weaker spanish stations
from the topics.

Good luck.
Old January 14th 10, 11:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 13, 8:20*pm, Shawn Patrick wrote:
I'm horrible at foreign languages but did you check this list of stations?

http://www.geocities.jp/binewsjp/bib09.txt

One other possibility is if you are certain it's Russian, could be a
harmonic of 1500-1600khz transmissions.

I get several strong signals on 90 meters here in the states at night
from US domestic shortwave broadcasters and some weaker spanish stations
from the topics.

Good luck.

Definitely Russian transmissions. Not regular broadcasters, though!
Does not sound like two amateurs either, it is not SSB.Strange
frequencies as well. Russian pirates,since it is out of band. Bandwith
is around 4KHz,can't be more-it sounds very distorted and difficult to
discern most words. One of them clearly complains about QRM and they
sound like technical guys to me (may be mil traffic as well).
Intermodulation from 40 meters, perhaps?
Old January 14th 10, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

a écrit dans le message de news:
On Jan 13, 8:20 pm, Shawn Patrick wrote:
I'm horrible at foreign languages but did you check this list of stations?

http://www.geocities.jp/binewsjp/bib09.txt

One other possibility is if you are certain it's Russian, could be a
harmonic of 1500-1600khz transmissions.

I get several strong signals on 90 meters here in the states at night
from US domestic shortwave broadcasters and some weaker spanish stations
from the topics.

Good luck.

| Definitely Russian transmissions. Not regular broadcasters, though!
| Does not sound like two amateurs either, it is not SSB.Strange
| frequencies as well. Russian pirates,since it is out of band. Bandwith
| is around 4KHz,can't be more-it sounds very distorted and difficult to
| discern most words. One of them clearly complains about QRM and they
| sound like technical guys to me (may be mil traffic as well).
| Intermodulation from 40 meters, perhaps?

Harmonics or intermodulations are unlikely because of the long distance (if
they are in Russia) and probably I would have received them on their regular
frequencies.
They are operating every day for 5 days (I had never noticed them before but
possibly they were there) and are received here evening and night. I feel it
is not traffic such CB or amateur, but professional.

Thanks for the informations, and to Patrick too.

Old January 14th 10, 06:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Here is a much better record:
http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...%203093Khz.mp3

Old January 14th 10, 07:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"François Guillet" wrote in message
Here is a much better record:
http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...%203093Khz.mp3

Are they definitely double sideband AM and not SSB with a carrier?

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old January 15th 10, 07:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...Divers/AM%2030...

Are they definitely double sideband AM and not SSB with a carrier?

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Well, this not pure traditional AM. And as far as I can discern
it is not regular SSB either ! Is this DSB-AM with reduced or
suppressed carrierier , or is this SSB plus+ a reduced carrier?
Signal is not very stable, modulation seems to jump up and down
constantly. Need to switch to another agc setting,if possible. This
last recording is much better than the first and second. May be, if I
hear a longer transmission they will accidentally give away who the
hell they are. Judging from one party being much, much louder the
other fellow may be situated very far away. This is not your standard
literary language,either. Lots of uncensored expressions. Frequencies
are really baffling me. Still think it is an intermodulation product.
What receiver is being used?
Old January 15th 10, 09:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

a écrit dans le message de news:
On Jan 14, 2:08 pm, "Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote:
"François Guillet" wrote in message

Here is a much better record:
http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...Divers/AM%2030...

Are they definitely double sideband AM and not SSB with a carrier?

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

| Well, this not pure traditional AM. And as far as I can discern
| it is not regular SSB either ! Is this DSB-AM with reduced or
| suppressed carrierier , or is this SSB plus+ a reduced carrier?
| Signal is not very stable, modulation seems to jump up and down
| constantly. Need to switch to another agc setting,if possible. This
| last recording is much better than the first and second. May be, if I
| hear a longer transmission they will accidentally give away who the
| hell they are. Judging from one party being much, much louder the
| other fellow may be situated very far away. This is not your standard
| literary language,either. Lots of uncensored expressions. Frequencies
| are really baffling me. Still think it is an intermodulation product.
| What receiver is being used?

The receiver is an old transceiver Icom IC751.
I have added an interface that converts IF signal at 455 Khz down to 12 Khz
then the 12 Khz signal is connected to my PC sound card (band pass is around
15-20 Khz).
I use Dream software for demodulating the signal. Dream was firstly intended
to decode DRM but its last version can also handle AM, SSB, CW and FM.
In Dream one can adjust a filter to match the received signal. I choose the
band pass for the best subjective audio. Dream records the demodulated
signal in .wav files.

After recording the russian stations, I used Adobe Audition for processing
operations for noise reduction, clics removing and MP3 conversion.

It is not DSB AM or SSB+carrier. It is real AM with the two side bands. Some
stations have not a frequency shifted by the modulation. It looks like old
TX with VFO pilot (not synthetized). QSB is probably the cause of carrier
fading and modulation distorsion.

Some other samples but not good, the band is very noisy, transmissions are
not very long (1mn max), with long pauses so it is difficult to monitor
them:
http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...ussian%201.mp3
http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...ussian%202.mp3
http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...ussian%203.mp3

Old January 15th 10, 09:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

a écrit dans le message de news:
On Jan 14, 2:08 pm, "Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote:
"François Guillet" wrote in message

Here is a much better record:
http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...Divers/AM%2030...

Are they definitely double sideband AM and not SSB with a carrier?

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

| Well, this not pure traditional AM. And as far as I can discern
| it is not regular SSB either ! Is this DSB-AM with reduced or
| suppressed carrierier , or is this SSB plus+ a reduced carrier?
| Signal is not very stable, modulation seems to jump up and down
| constantly. Need to switch to another agc setting,if possible. This
| last recording is much better than the first and second. May be, if I
| hear a longer transmission they will accidentally give away who the
| hell they are. Judging from one party being much, much louder the
| other fellow may be situated very far away. This is not your standard
| literary language,either. Lots of uncensored expressions. Frequencies
| are really baffling me. Still think it is an intermodulation product.
| What receiver is being used?

The receiver is an old transceiver Icom IC751.
I have added an interface that converts IF signal at 455 Khz down to 12 Khz
then the 12 Khz signal is connected to my PC sound card (band pass is around
15-20 Khz).
I use Dream software for demodulating the signal. Dream was firstly intended
to decode DRM but its last version can also handle AM, SSB, CW and FM.
In Dream one can adjust a filter to match the received signal. I choose the
band pass for the best subjective audio. Dream records the demodulated
signal in .wav files.

After recording the russian stations, I used Adobe Audition for processing
operations of noise reduction, clics removing and MP3 conversion.

It is not DSB AM or SSB+carrier. It is real AM with the two side bands. Some
stations have a frequency shifted by the modulation. It looks like old TX
with VFO pilot (not synthetized). QSB is probably the cause of carrier
fading and modulation distorsion.

Some other samples but not good, band is very noisy, transmissions are

Old January 16th 10, 07:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 15, 4:13*pm, "François Guillet"
wrote:
a écrit dans le message de news:
On Jan 14, 2:08 pm, "Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote:

"François Guillet" wrote in message

Here is a much better record:
http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...Divers/AM%2030....

Are they definitely double sideband AM and not SSB with a carrier?

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

| * Well, this not pure traditional AM. And *as far as I can discern
| it is not regular SSB either ! * Is this DSB-AM *with reduced or
| suppressed carrierier , or is this SSB plus+ a reduced carrier?
| Signal is not very stable, modulation seems to jump up and down
| constantly. Need to switch to another agc setting,if possible. *This
| last recording is much better than the first and second. May be, if I
| hear a longer transmission they will *accidentally give away *who the
| hell they are. Judging from one party being much, much louder the
| other fellow may be situated very far away. This is not your standard
| literary language,either. *Lots of uncensored expressions. Frequencies
| are really baffling me. Still think it is an intermodulation product.
| What receiver is being used?

The receiver is an old transceiver Icom IC751.
I have added an interface that converts IF signal at 455 Khz down to 12 Khz
then the 12 Khz signal is connected to my PC sound card (band pass is around
15-20 Khz).
I use Dream software for demodulating the signal. Dream was firstly intended
to decode DRM but its last version can also handle AM, SSB, CW and FM.
In Dream one can adjust a filter to match the received signal. I choose the
band pass for the best subjective audio. Dream records the demodulated
signal in .wav files.

After recording the russian stations, I used Adobe Audition for processing
operations of noise reduction, clics removing and MP3 conversion.

It is not DSB AM or SSB+carrier. It is real AM with the two side bands. Some
stations have a frequency shifted by the modulation. It looks like old TX
with VFO pilot (not synthetized). QSB is probably the cause of carrier
fading and modulation distorsion.

Some other samples but not good, band is very noisy, transmissions are
not very long (1mn max), with long pauses so it is difficult to monitor
them:http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Radio/Arc...Divers/AM%20Ru...

If this was back 20+ years ago, I would say it could be
some sort of high seas radiotelephone transmissions. Only one side of
the conversation is heard in general. But, majority of them,
(practically all) were in USB as a rule. The other party has almost
always used another frequency. None of the offical radiotelephone
transmissions were so brief. None of the official operators spoke with
such a hurry. The s/n ratio is very poor. Power levels seem to be very
low and transmitters don't sound stable enough for reliable
communication . If it is not maritime traffic, it may be something
different. Bootleggers, pirates, or traffickers of some sort
probably. May be we can use D/F them,or establish some pattern .What
time of day or night do they pop- up?