Old February 2nd 10, 06:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default (OT) Computer DVD-RW Drive E: Troubleshooting Question

The Sony DVD+-RW AW-Q160S player on my Dell Inspiron desktop computer
works great but only plays Side A of dvd's, it obviously isn't reading
Side B of any disc I insert. For example, episodes 1-4 of Northern
Exposure on side A are viewed perfectly while episodes 5-8 on side B
can't be played even though they are listed on the menu (both sides
are on the same disc). Operating system is Vista home edition (yeah I
know Vista sucks).

Can anyone provide information on how this can be fixed or direct me
to a google group that can?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Old February 2nd 10, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Priest wrote:

The Sony DVD+-RW AW-Q160S player on my Dell Inspiron desktop computer
works great but only plays Side A of dvd's, it obviously isn't reading
Side B of any disc I insert.

Every dvd drive I've had has only read one side. You have to physically
turn the disc over in the tray and play the other side.

mike
Old February 2nd 10, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 2, 9:34*am, m II wrote:
Every dvd drive I've had has only read one side. You have to physically
turn the disc over in the tray and play the other side.
mike

That was my first response, flipped the dvd and got nothing but
grinding sounds. Did the same with disc 2 with same result. Being
inexperienced with dvd's I then assumed all the data was contained on
one side of the disc since the back had no label reading Side B (label
on front reads Side A and Side B).

However after reading your post I tried the flip sides of other dvds
and they worked fine. So the problem is two corrupted dvds not the
player, which is good news. I will now be able to enjoy all of season
three of NORTHERN EXPOSURE and only half of season one of KOJAK -
which is even better news!

Thank you for taking to time to respond to my post Mike, your
practical advice proved to be most helpful. Without it I likely would
have dismissed the problem and never bothered with half the dvds
again.

Best regards.
Old February 3rd 10, 03:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Priest wrote:

On Feb 2, 9:34 am, m II wrote:
Every dvd drive I've had has only read one side. You have to physically
turn the disc over in the tray and play the other side.
mike

That was my first response, flipped the dvd and got nothing but
grinding sounds. Did the same with disc 2 with same result. Being
inexperienced with dvd's I then assumed all the data was contained on
one side of the disc since the back had no label reading Side B (label
on front reads Side A and Side B).

Usually there is tiny, tiny printing around the hole in the centre. It's
really hard to read. They have to mark them somehow, seeing that there
can be no label printing on the one face.

I'm assuming that the label on the front you are referring to is on the
case or cover of the disk....

mike
Old February 3rd 10, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 2, 9:09*pm, m II wrote:
Usually there is tiny, tiny printing around the hole in the centre. It's
really hard to read. They have to mark them somehow, seeing that there
can be no label printing on the one face.
I'm assuming that the label on the front you are referring to is on the
case or cover of the disk....

I guess "strips" would be a better word to use than label. All the
discs have two seperate 1/8" completely circular strips containing the
title, side, running time, region, studio and copyright info. Side A
strip is 1/2" from center hole, side B strip is 1/8" from center hole.
The obverse side of the disc has no strips or information but does
have numbers impressed directly upon the disc. I suspect the corrupted
3 disc boxed set (Kojak: Season One) purchased on eBay might be a
pirated copy from Asia.

Old February 3rd 10, 04:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Priest wrote:

I suspect the corrupted
3 disc boxed set (Kojak: Season One) purchased on eBay might be a
pirated copy from Asia.

Preposterous. The Chinese produce nothing but the finest merchandise and
are RENOWNED for their integrity and respect of International Copyrights.

Excuse me, I have to rush. We are now investing the fatal lead poisoning
of three dozen children. They were playing with their shiny new toys
just a few days ago..very weird.

mike