Old March 21st 10, 11:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Your Receiver/Receivers Usage

I've always been curious of this and like Bob said "Post and don't
worry about it" - something like that. ;-)

How often - how many hours a week you actually have your receivers on
AND monitoring?

I ask because since I've had my Hammarlund HQ 129X/ Heathkit Q
Multiplier and the add on freq counter back - I have ran it basically
non stop with the exception of two days while I was gone.

Do any of you guys keep a specific receiver on all the time when you
have left the house or sleeping with your recorder going in hopes of
catch or am I the only retarded one?bowing head

Old March 22nd 10, 04:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 22, 2:55*am, Hils wrote:
Gregg wrote:
I've always been curious of this and like Bob said "Post and don't
worry about it" - something like that. ;-)

How often - how many hours a week you actually have your receivers on
AND monitoring?

I keep mine on 24/7 mostly out of habit. A few years ago I used it to
monitor 29352kHz over a period of several months for signs of the old
amateur satellite RS-15. I wrote a perl script which could control the
rig from a command line, and cron jobs to switch the rig to the beacon
frequency a couple of minutes before expected AOS. It wasn't fully
automated (I'd generate a batch of cron jobs once a week or two, it
didn't seem worth the time to automate that part) but it enabled me to
use the receiver for other things in between passes.

More recently I've monitored Russian cluster beacons over periods of
several hours, but I've only the one working computer at the moment, and
I use it for "real" work, so radio projects are in abeyance until I can
be bothered to get a second PC to use as a data logger. :-)

These days the receiver is mostly on the BBC sports/news channel, ICAO
frequencies, or ham CW frequencies.

Do any of you guys keep a specific receiver on all the time when you
have left the house or sleeping with your recorder going in hopes of
catch or am I the only retarded one?bowing head

SWLing is way cool. People who listen to ipods all day are losers. :-)

With this last point, I agree, although it depends largely on the
quality of music on the IPOD. If it's pop pap, truly. Classical or
jazz or other quality music deserves no small amount of respect, as do
those who enjoy or make it.

As to amount of radio use, my home receivers are only on if I am in
the room listening. I have considered using a recorder, but I do not
have the radio attached to a PC and I am not sure how many stations
would accept a cassette of a program for a QSL anymore (it sure would
be handy for foreign language broadcasts).

Bruce
Old March 22nd 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

A few hours every day.

JT and Dave are talking about that Illegal health care bill.
http://www.supertalkms.com

When we woke up this morning, our State and fed taxes went UP! Some
States are Sueing fed govt.
cuhulin

Old March 22nd 10, 06:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 3/21/2010 7:01 PM, Gregg wrote:
I've always been curious of this and like Bob said "Post and don't
worry about it" - something like that. ;-)

How often - how many hours a week you actually have your receivers on
AND monitoring?

I ask because since I've had my Hammarlund HQ 129X/ Heathkit Q
Multiplier and the add on freq counter back - I have ran it basically
non stop with the exception of two days while I was gone.

Do any of you guys keep a specific receiver on all the time when you
have left the house or sleeping with your recorder going in hopes of
catch or am I the only retarded one?bowing head

Gregg.

OMG. when i'm home, old work-horse TT RX-350, in the shack, is on
constantly with the computers back there. (my "den/shack/whatever hobby
room"). other receivers there are on and off with use. also 2 scanners
at the same time. when i'm not home, everything off and grounded. in the
car, hand-held scanner, and a 440 or a 6700gr running. depends on the
length of the trip. on-the-road and out of the country, a well used
DX 390 goes in the luggage. third one, great portable over seas, and
if it disappears, it cheap to replace. BTW, if i have friends, or a
young lady over, every thing is off, and closed up. when people see
the antennas, they already think i'm a little off, no reason to give
any more info. the E1-XM in the kitchen and the old AR3030, in the
bedroom are on when i'm in the mood. you know how it is, i'm one of
those "radio people". and nobody, but other "radio people", get to
see my collection.

Drifter...
Old March 22nd 10, 10:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Larry Taylor, in Shreveport,Cajunland.He is originally from
Jackson,Mississippi.He had a big long tall Shortwave antenna behind
their house in Jackson (Forest Hill area) wayyyyy back in the 1950s.we
used to go to Forest Hill school wayyyyyyyyy back then.I wonder how that
old coot is doing nowadays?
cuhulin

Old March 23rd 10, 12:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 22, 12:00*pm, bpnjensen wrote:
On Mar 22, 2:55*am, Hils wrote:

Gregg wrote:
[...]

Bruce- Hide quoted text -

Heck yes Bruce - or at least seven/eight years ago - SW stations
received them. Gotta kind of watch it though because it can get
expensive. I forget which countries sent me QSL cards, I know for a
fact it was in the double digits for shortwave and four to six for the
BCB.

Old March 23rd 10, 12:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 22, 2:36*pm, Drifter wrote:
[...]

Drifter...- Hide quoted text -

Love it!!!!!!! ROTF - killer post. Yeah buddy, I feel you there. ;-)

Old March 23rd 10, 12:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

[...]

Hey, I forgot to ask. You don't have an array of antennas outside that
you can't hide so she doesn't know you're a 'tad off'? ;-) Outside
antennas are a dead give away!
Old March 23rd 10, 12:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 23, 9:30*am, dave wrote:
Gregg wrote:
I've always been curious of this and like Bob said "Post and don't
worry about it" - something like that. ;-)

How often - how many hours a week you actually have your receivers on
AND monitoring?

I ask because since I've had my Hammarlund HQ 129X/ Heathkit Q
Multiplier and the add on freq counter back - I have ran it basically
non stop with the exception of two days while I was gone.

Do any of you guys keep a specific receiver on all the time when you
have left the house or sleeping with your recorder going in hopes of
catch or am I the only retarded one?bowing head

I have 3 HF radios on 24/7, two of them are connected to the internet
for monitoring from anywhere. *I would not leave a tube radio on 24/7,
due to the waste of electricity in keeping the cathodes boiling.- Hide quoted text -

Hey Dave, you're lucky to have it set up like that. I have a couple of
older computers that aren't serving me any purpose as of now, it's
something to think about because I know it'll open up a whole other
side. FWIW on the tubes - I have four complete and tested sets for the
129X so I think I'm good to go for a while but I don't plan on running
it 24/7 forever. It helps to have found a good repair guy in my area.

Old March 23rd 10, 01:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Gregg wrote:
I've always been curious of this and like Bob said "Post and don't
worry about it" - something like that. ;-)

How often - how many hours a week you actually have your receivers on
AND monitoring?

I ask because since I've had my Hammarlund HQ 129X/ Heathkit Q
Multiplier and the add on freq counter back - I have ran it basically
non stop with the exception of two days while I was gone.

Do any of you guys keep a specific receiver on all the time when you
have left the house or sleeping with your recorder going in hopes of
catch or am I the only retarded one?bowing head

I have 3 HF radios on 24/7, two of them are connected to the internet
for monitoring from anywhere. I would not leave a tube radio on 24/7,
due to the waste of electricity in keeping the cathodes boiling.

Web Contolled Receivers (or Internet accessed receivers) msg Shortwave 3 June 20th 07 03:44 PM
frequency counter usage Uwe Homebrew 1 November 12th 04 02:24 AM
HF - So much space, so little usage Jim Shortwave 5 July 15th 04 06:45 PM
2m usage Greg Doughty Equipment 2 February 11th 04 02:28 AM
2m usage Greg Doughty Equipment 0 February 11th 04 12:51 AM