Old March 7th 11, 02:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default IBOC : A Natural Evolution Requires Time and HD-Radio's TimeH...

When those first iPhones came out, a guy in NYC had just bought one.He
was taking the elevator down to the first floor, he had his brand
spanking new shiney as a new born baby's ass iPhone in a string handle
shopping bag.The elevator door opened, he stepped out, a MOFO grabbed
the guy's shopping bag, nearly ripped off one of the guy's fingers
because it was tangled up in the shopping bag string handle.
BAN ALL STRING BAG SHOPPING BAGS! THEY ARE DANGEROUS!
cuhulin

Old March 7th 11, 02:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

There is an Apple store listed in my phone book, here in backwater hick
Jackson,Missy Sippy area.It is located at 1000 Highland Colony Parkway,
in Ridgeland.I reckon that is about nine something miles North of
doggy's couch.Doggy said, WOO WOO WOOF! Look it up.
cuhulin

Old March 7th 11, 03:24 PM posted to ba.broadcast,rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.digital

Default IBOC : A Natural Evolution Requires Time and HD-Radio's Time

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 06:18:09 -0800
dave wrote:
Who was it who said tell the people lies often enough and they become
the truth .. Dr Goebbels was it or someone similar?..

64K mono would be about as crystal clear as 128 stereo, no? That's

You'd think , but DAB isn't that simple. I'm sure people more in the know
can correct me but AFAIK it doesn't simply send 2 channels of data for left
and right. I think like FM it sends mono data then some sort of difference
data which uses up much less bandwidth so a 128K DAB signal has a mono
component of something like (I'm guessing) 100K. I think this is why a lot
of people complain about the stereo image of DAB being very flat.

I'm sure wikipedia has more info.

crystal clear to most people. I listen to 32 K web streams which are
great for all but most critical applications.

DAB uses the MP2 codec from the late 80s. 32K would be unintelligable.

B2003

Old March 7th 11, 04:06 PM posted to ba.broadcast,rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.digital

Default IBOC : A Natural Evolution Requires Time and HD-Radio's TimeHas Not Yet Come . . .

SMS wrote:

So all-digital does allow for more "virtual CD" quality audio channels,

Virtual CD quality at 98kb/s? Not even aac can manage that, aac+
wouldn't either as it's designed for low bit rates rather than for high
quality.

Just another example of spin, that doesn't add up when you look at the
facts.

Richard E.
Old March 7th 11, 04:15 PM posted to ba.broadcast,rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.digital

dave wrote:

64K mono would be about as crystal clear as 128 stereo, no? That's
crystal clear to most people. I listen to 32 K web streams which are
great for all but most critical applications.

I think Tony forgot to mention that DAB uses the mp2 codec, which is
*very* in-efficient compared to modern codecs.

At 128k in stereo, the sound quality is not much better than aac+ at 32k
in stereo. So I would expect aac+ 32k in mono to sound significantly
better than mp2 64k in mono.

Richard E.

Old March 7th 11, 04:16 PM posted to ba.broadcast,rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.digital
SMS SMS is offline

Default They can't carry the news around on a thumb drive

On 3/7/2011 6:04 AM, dave wrote:

snip

KPFT is now carrying KTRU on an HD2 stream. Rice sold KTRU's frequency
to the University of Houston for a classical station.

Yeah, it's too bad that so many universities are in such dire straits
that they're giving up their radio stations, something that they can't
readily get back when the economy recovers.

http://www.kpft.org/index.php?option=com_idoblog&view=idoblog&Itemid=1 45

It's interesting in that article that they mention what the biggest
attraction of digital radio actually is to broadcasters: "It also allows
a station to offer multiple stations to the public without obtaining a
new FCC license." While the better quality audio is often touted, the
reality is that that's just a side benefit of the digital system, the
read advantage is the multiple channels.

Old March 7th 11, 04:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

That digital radio Crap just doesn't cut it.It Doesn't Cut the Mustard!
But, y'all keep on,,,,,, y'all keep on keeping onnnnnn,,,,,,
cuhulin

HD Radio: Eduardo contradicts himself - LMFAO! DigitalRadioScams Shortwave 172 August 16th 10 09:24 PM
HD Radio shutdown in Wash, D.C! LMFAO! PocketRadio Shortwave 49 January 2nd 09 01:36 PM
FS: Sector 220 FM portable Cencom Swap 0 November 7th 04 03:27 PM
FS: Sector 220 MHz Portable Cencom Swap 0 November 1st 04 01:13 PM
Brother Stair infests Europe's MW band. Simon Mason Shortwave 7 October 17th 04 04:23 PM