Old December 20th 11, 10:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default DING DONG THE CFL BULB WITCH IS DEAD

On 12/20/2011 10:44 AM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
John Smith wrote:

We have also put everything on timers to avoid hitting peak times, we
basically "go dark" at peak and then back on after ... wife does
laundry, run dishwasher, showers, etc., always off peak times ...

I use several CFLs in places that need to be on almost the entire day,
from 5am until 2am, for example in a windowless bathroom. I don't bother
with a timer, I just use an 8w CFL, which is enough to do most things
you would do in a bathroom. When you want more light, there is a two 40w
floursecent fixture which gets turned on and off as needed.

I also put two 28 watt warm CFLs in a hallway that was "dark and dirty" (or it
looked that way, it really was clean) because it was unlit. They are on
(manually) from around 6:30am until 1am. It really changes the look of the
place and since there is light I put some house plants on top of a cabinet
near one of the lights. I could of done the same thing with 2 100 Watt or
4 60 Watt incandescent bulbs, but the cost of the fixtures would of been
a lot higher, and the operating cost prohibative.

So instead of a dark "pit" which is ignored, it has become the center of
the apartment when you walk in the door and you see a warm, comforting
light and green plants.

If you don't think you can make one hell of a dent in your power bill,
think again, and fluorescent/LEDs are a part of that difference ...
unless you live in a tent and use but a single light bulb ...

If you need incandescent light for reading, you can always buy small
spot beams which don't light (and warm) the rest of the room up.

I do find that flourescent lights in general are not as good for close
work or reading, so I often have to use more of them than the usual
stated amounts. For example, I have two 2x40 Watt fixtures in the kitchen,
a 28 Watt fixture over the sink, and a 12 Watt CFL in the ceiling fan,
which is used to light the room when it is not in use (so you can see
how to get around).

That would be the equivalent of over 1KW of incandescent lighting, which
would not only be too expensive to run, but would produce enough heat
I could cook things right on the table. :-)

Also, we have split our appliance between natural gas and electricity,
so we never exceed the allotted cubic feet and KW/hrs. Of course, if I
worked for the power company, I might advise others to use more. lol

:-)

geoff.

I can tell you give some thought to use, purpose and goals. This type
of logic works well with light and ones power bill ... but, it is a good
model for all other endeavors in life ... I'll bet it has severed you well.

Yes, very much in agreement with you ... I have even switched out my
flashlight bulbs for tactical LED ones, of the type used in the modern
Maglites ... not only is battery life increased, but the light is
brighter and provides more detail of objects illuminated ...

Regards,
JS

Old December 20th 11, 10:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/20/2011 11:26 AM, Joe from Kokomo wrote:
On 12/20/2011 10:00 AM, Ernie wrote:
PUH-LEEZE don't use ANYTHING Bush did as any argument "in-favor." I
could list you MANY reasons if freedom of speech existed anymore.

Only reason I mentioned Bush is that many people here have been blaming
the "CFL law" on Obama, patently un-true. Just wanted to place credit
(or blame) where it is due -- on W.

If you are even able to see that much of a difference on your electric
bill YOU ARE LEAVING TOO DAMN MANY LIGHTS ON in your house. Why don't
you turn a light off when you leave the room?

First of all, I DO turn off lights when I leave the room. And the bottom
line is that CFLs use ONE QUARTER of the power that incandescent uses.
So, no matter how many or how few lights you use or turn off, your
lighting bill will STILL be one quarter.

You get the leaders talking out of both sides of their mouths about
"going green" to cut down on THEIR OWN usage and then we'll debate.

Huh? What's to "debate"? Why should what a "leader's" electric bill is
have anything at all to do with ME using one fourth of the electricity
on MY bill.

Congratulations! You're still doing a fine job of dodging and tap
dancing -- but still avoiding the undisputable fact that, for the same
light output, CFLs use ONE FOURTH the electricity (no matter what anyone
else does) and puts one fourth of the mercury into the air at the power
plant.

Any of them proposing, passing or supporting illegal laws such as the
one on incandescent lighting should face a firing squad ... that is not
their jobs. They are public servants of the people ... from the
president right on down to your local dog catcher ...

Regards,
JS

Old December 21st 11, 01:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default DING DONG THE CFL BULB WITCH IS DEAD digital TV is from 1999

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 13:01:06 -0600, Ernie wrote:

For once the nitwits in Kongress got it right. The omnibus bill passed
Fri killed the
stupid CFL bulb they were trying to cram down out throats. If only
they'd had some
balls before they crammed the stupid digital tv system down our throats
2 years ago.

Old December 21st 11, 07:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/20/2011 10:22 PM, MotoFox wrote:
And it came to pass that John Smith delivered the following message unto
the people, saying~

I never have liked "warm white", always preferred "cool white" and now
that daylight bulbs are just as cheap, I prefer them also, so does the
wife ... and the dim-able fluorescent are nice for room lighting.

Yeah, I pretty much have to use "warm white" or "soft white" myself, in
the one lamp where I actually *do* have a compact fluorescent unit
installed (my "tech lab" outpost, in my Mum's basement.) I find they're
better for reading under than the "daylight" ones, which are a bit too
harsh for my almost 29-year old eyes.

On the other hand, Mum uses the "daylight" lights in the outside fixtures,
and they seem to work great out there.....

You make an excellent point, when I was younger, I could almost read a
newspaper in the dark of night ...

I think as you get older, you will appreciate the daylight bulb for work
.... wife uses them for knitting, quilting and crochet -- to the
exclusion of any and all others ... I have made a high power blue white
LED light attached to her sewing machine, she also likes it ...
especially with a black or dark thread on dark material.

Regards,
JS

Old December 22nd 11, 01:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 11:31:23 -0800, John Smith wrote:

You make an excellent point, when I was younger, I could almost read a
newspaper in the dark of night ...

I think as you get older, you will appreciate the daylight bulb for work
... wife uses them for knitting, quilting and crochet -- to the
exclusion of any and all others ... I have made a high power blue white
LED light attached to her sewing machine, she also likes it ...
especially with a black or dark thread on dark material.

Regards,
JS

Wow, you aren't totally worthless after all!

Old December 22nd 11, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Oh for pete's sake, there's always one of these guys. They're the ones
mangled in a car
wreck that can't believe it happened because they were wearing seat belts.

Old December 23rd 11, 06:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/22/2011 5:24 AM, dave wrote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 11:31:23 -0800, John Smith wrote:

You make an excellent point, when I was younger, I could almost read a
newspaper in the dark of night ...

I think as you get older, you will appreciate the daylight bulb for work
... wife uses them for knitting, quilting and crochet -- to the
exclusion of any and all others ... I have made a high power blue white
LED light attached to her sewing machine, she also likes it ...
especially with a black or dark thread on dark material.

Regards,
JS

Wow, you aren't totally worthless after all!

No dave, but then, no one is really like you ...

Regards,
JS

Old December 23rd 11, 06:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/22/2011 12:51 PM, Ernie wrote:

Oh for pete's sake, there's always one of these guys. They're the ones
mangled in a car
wreck that can't believe it happened because they were wearing seat belts.

Or that, the nazis were the last evil men who aspired to take over and
control a country ... or that public servants don't engage in widespread
insider trading ... or that the "consulting fees" paid to gringrich
where anything but a bribe, hidden as a legal payment ... ten million
dollars!!!! worth ... etc.

Regards,
JS

Old December 23rd 11, 09:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 19, 9:09*pm, John Smith wrote:
On 12/19/2011 12:09 AM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

MotoFox wrote:

Much as I hate it myself, I do have to give compact fluorescent lighting
props for two things, though--(1) their heat output is far lower than
that of an incandescent bulb and (2) the light output is considerably
better than any LEDs I've ever seen. Personally, I can't figure out why
anyone would want these harsh blue LEDs polluting their houses, ...

That's not the fault of LEDs. LEDs like flourecent lights produce light
in a few different colors. Combining those colors into what you see as
white is done in your brain, and the proportion of those colors affects
what you see it as.

More blue and it looks like the daytime sky (hence the floursecent lamps
called daylight) and more red looks like fire light (hence the flourescent
lamps called warm white).

Early CFLs (around 15 years ago, when I first got them) were all daylight
and produced harsh unusable light. I could only use them outdoors and
in windowless rooms where cheap was more important than color.

Now it is easy to get warm CFLs and they are much more agreeable than
the old blue/green heavy ones the past.

LEDs will also move in that direction as people demand them.

Note that the color affects the way people think, and cool lights make them
more "edgy" which is good if you want people to work harder. Warm lights
make people feel more comfortable and mellow, which is better for homes,
etc.

Geoff.

I never have liked "warm white", always preferred "cool white" and now
that daylight bulbs are just as cheap, I prefer them also, so does the
wife ... and the dim-able fluorescent are nice for room lighting.

Have never noticed light really affecting my mood, or anyone else, for
that matter, but I know people with mental problems are having all sorts
of people attempt to manipulate them with light, colors, food, drugs,
etc. -- any prison or mental hospital and you will find examples ...

All I notice is others home appear dim to me, when bathed in warm white ....

Regards,
JS

My Moose-out-on-a-Limb friends -say-
It Is Better To Curse In The Darkness
-then-to- Read the Koran under CFL Bulbs :
Christian inFidal Light [Bulbs]

blessed are the holy in-can-descents
illuminating the path to energy jihad
praise be the name of ed-Ison ~ RHF

shamma lamma ding-dong Policy 4 October 13th 06 03:18 AM
shamma lamma ding-dong Antenna 2 October 13th 06 02:28 AM
shamma lamma ding-dong [email protected] Policy 5 September 26th 06 10:38 AM
Ding Dong the Ugly Old Witch... Hatfield Shortwave 28 August 1st 05 08:26 AM
"DING! DONG! The Loon is DEAD!" David Stinson Shortwave 13 February 26th 05 10:44 AM