Old December 14th 14, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Solar Polarity Flipped

Heard a few folks talking about the Suns' magnetic poles flipping. This
is nothing new, but signals the end of one, and beginning of yet another
solar cycle.

Old December 14th 14, 05:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sunday, December 14, 2014 9:12:23 AM UTC-6, dxAce wrote:
Heard a few folks talking about the Suns' magnetic poles flipping. This
is nothing new, but signals the end of one, and beginning of yet another
solar cycle.

At least we are 'still here', for the time being anyway. The Sun and Earth and the Universe are very Dynamic. We all live in an Electric Universe.
Old December 14th 14, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2014-12-14 16:32, DhiaDuit wrote:
On Sunday, December 14, 2014 9:12:23 AM UTC-6, dxAce wrote:
Heard a few folks talking about the Suns' magnetic poles flipping.
This is nothing new, but signals the end of one, and beginning of
yet another solar cycle.

At least we are 'still here', for the time being anyway. The Sun and
Earth and the Universe are very Dynamic. We all live in an Electric
Universe.

http://www.thesuntoday.org/solar-fac...r-max-is-here/

Google,,, freerepublic.com The flash in the sky. What was it?
Old December 15th 14, 11:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sunday, December 14, 2014 10:12:23 AM UTC-5, dxAce wrote:
Heard a few folks talking about the Suns' magnetic poles flipping. This
is nothing new, but signals the end of one, and beginning of yet another
solar cycle.

The story needs a little "editing." We are at the mid-point of Cycle 24; the peak. 11 years from now (not 22 years, as some are reporting), we will reach solar maximum and another flip will happen.
The beginning of each new solar cycle happens when a new reverse polarity sunspot is found. Once you get enough reverse polarity spots over approx. 5.5 years, the poles shift.
The reverse polarity sunspot signaling the end of Cycle 23 and the beginning of Cycle 24 was around January 4th, 2008. Almost seven years, but the cycles are never exactly 11 year cycles either.
Old December 16th 14, 03:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/14/2014 07:12 AM, dxAce wrote:
Heard a few folks talking about the Suns' magnetic poles flipping. This
is nothing new, but signals the end of one, and beginning of yet another
solar cycle.

Apparently not. The magnetic poles flipped a year ago and this cycle is
going at its normal anemic pace. "a few folks" is a notoriously bad
source for meaningful information.

Old December 16th 14, 09:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:53:42 AM UTC-6, dave wrote:
On 12/14/2014 08:32 AM, DhiaDuit wrote:
On Sunday, December 14, 2014 9:12:23 AM UTC-6, dxAce wrote:
Heard a few folks talking about the Suns' magnetic poles flipping. This
is nothing new, but signals the end of one, and beginning of yet another
solar cycle.

At least we are 'still here', for the time being anyway. The Sun and Earth and the Universe are very Dynamic. We all live in an Electric Universe.

Star stuff.

Get your Compass and every once in a while look at the North Pole and South Pole orientation. Doggy said, ///Shirley, you jest. WOOF!///
Old December 17th 14, 01:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

According to my data (sourced from Mathematica) this peak was the third
weakest in terms of average sunspots since the Dalton Minimum, nearly
matching the weak peaks in 1883 and 1905. Yet I've had decent luck
with my HF activities even though my antenna situation is very shady
and I usually run QRP.

I guess this just proves that the only way to really know if the bands
are open is to spin that VFO knob.

Recently I've had the best reception in the very early mornings, before
sunrise. Lots of activity from Asia. I've also been lucky enough to
pick up some African broadcasts in the evening, when I am most likely
to have the radio on.

Contacted W1AW/7 last night, too, but I had to dial it up to 75w in
order for him to hear me (CW). Last time I managed to contact W1AW/7 I
only used 10w with RTTY.

Old December 17th 14, 07:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 6:09:08 PM UTC-6, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
According to my data (sourced from Mathematica) this peak was the third
weakest in terms of average sunspots since the Dalton Minimum, nearly
matching the weak peaks in 1883 and 1905. Yet I've had decent luck
with my HF activities even though my antenna situation is very shady
and I usually run QRP.

I guess this just proves that the only way to really know if the bands
are open is to spin that VFO knob.

Recently I've had the best reception in the very early mornings, before
sunrise. Lots of activity from Asia. I've also been lucky enough to
pick up some African broadcasts in the evening, when I am most likely
to have the radio on.

Contacted W1AW/7 last night, too, but I had to dial it up to 75w in
order for him to hear me (CW). Last time I managed to contact W1AW/7 I
only used 10w with RTTY.

That guy who lives in Africa, I forgot his name. He does DXing. Anybody heard from him lately?
Old December 17th 14, 07:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 1:33:13 AM UTC-5, DhiaDuit wrote:
[...]

Is it John Plimmer of S.Africa?

Antenna polarity? Gone Fishin' Equipment 3 January 28th 14 03:06 PM
receive polarity Art Unwin Antenna 0 February 24th 10 05:21 PM
SolderSmoke #30: Solar pwr, IRF 510 amp, QST 50, BITX20, rockbound rigs, solar min? [email protected] Boatanchors 0 August 22nd 06 07:16 AM
SolderSmoke #30: Solar pwr, IRF 510 amp, QST 50, BITX20, rockbound rigs, solar min? [email protected] Homebrew 0 August 22nd 06 07:16 AM
kc8ldo flipped,,,,7 days of posts, all about "Twistedhed" Twistedhed CB 4 April 7th 04 05:39 AM