Old August 17th 03, 08:32 PM
donut

"Clifton T. Sharp Jr." wrote in
:

Windows Media Player.

Proprietary.

And all ready for Gates to activate the anti-piracy bit as soon as he sees
fit. Drop it like a rock.
Old August 17th 03, 10:42 PM
Frank Dresser

"Dave Kernick" wrote in message
On 17 Aug 2003 02:29:19 GMT, donut wrote:

As webmaster of the Interval Signals Archive, I'd be interested to
hear other opinions on this matter - RealAudio or MP3.

When I started the website RealAudio was the only viable option, but
of course that's no longer the case. Unitl now I've been daunted by
the prospect of converting 2,200+ audio files and amending a similar
number of text files, but if there is sufficient demand it would merit
serious consideration.

So let me know what you think here...

Dave Kernick

Dave,

Thanks for the great site. I've got no problem with Real Audio. However,
the description of Real Player as "bloatware" is apt, at least for the later
versions. I tried the latest version and didn't much like it. I removed it
and installed Version 5. This is much smaller and suits my needs just fine.
It also loads quickly, so there is no reason to have it continually running
and wasting memory. Real Player still offers thier older versions:

http://proforma.real.com/real/player/blackjack.html

Frank Dresser

Old August 20th 03, 09:43 AM
Dave Kernick

Thanks to everyone who responded for their input and encouraging
words, it looks like RealAudio has the vote so I'll stick with that!

Regards,

Dave Kernick

Old August 20th 03, 12:16 PM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , Dave Kernick wrote:
Thanks to everyone who responded for their input and encouraging
words, it looks like RealAudio has the vote so I'll stick with that!

I know I'm awfully late in this discussion but what about streaming OGG?

WCPE (classical music, U.S.) an Virgin Radio (rock, U.K) both provide
streaming OGG. It's a freeware protocol and can be played on almost any
system. The compression factor is about twice that of mp3.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 972-54-608-069
Icq/AIM Uin: 2661079 MSN IM:

Old August 30th 03, 05:50 PM

On 17 Aug 2003 02:29:19 GMT, donut wrote:

R.F. Collins wrote in
:

Dave Kernick's web site has the kookaboora id. Go to
www.intervalsignals.net and click on Australia. Scroll down to Radio
Australia, Melbourne (vintage).

I guess I shouldn't complain (and thanks for the link) but why are these
things invariably in Real Audio format? Many of us don't want that garbage
bloatware anywhere near our computers, and you constantly run into this.
MP3 is a universal format - why can't they post in that format instead of
RA?

Then use WinAmp... it's free and easy to use, although you still have
to have RealAudio codecs loaded.