Old August 16th 03, 05:45 PM
pete

Default RA's signature tune

Does RA still use that great flute ditty that's
so indicative of Australia? That was always so great
to hear on SW, along with the Aussie accents.
Pete
KQ5I
Old August 16th 03, 10:12 PM
Warpcore

"Waltzing Matilda" is Australia's national anthem, and a great folk tune;
they use it all the time.

Old August 16th 03, 10:23 PM
Frank Dresser

"pete" wrote in message
Does RA still use that great flute ditty that's
so indicative of Australia? That was always so great
to hear on SW, along with the Aussie accents.
Pete
KQ5I

The interval signal is "Waltzing Matilda", if I recall. They used to play
it for about 5 or 10 minutes before the start of a transmission. Plenty of
time to tune it in on the drifty old tube radio. They still play the same
tune, but it's much shorter, and I haven't heard what they described as the
"laugh of the kookaboora" in years. That was memorable. I seem to remember
"Waltzing Matilda" being played on bells or a xylaphone or something ringing
like that.

Frank Dresser

Old August 17th 03, 01:01 AM
Frank Dresser

"R.F. Collins" wrote in message
Dave Kernick's web site has the kookaboora id. Go to
www.intervalsignals.net and click on Australia. Scroll down to Radio
Australia, Melbourne (vintage).

Jim

Yep. That's it! Thanks!!

Frank Dresser

Old August 17th 03, 11:26 AM
Dave Kernick

On 17 Aug 2003 02:29:19 GMT, donut wrote:

R.F. Collins wrote in
:

snip

I guess I shouldn't complain (and thanks for the link) but why are these
things invariably in Real Audio format? Many of us don't want that garbage
bloatware anywhere near our computers, and you constantly run into this.
MP3 is a universal format - why can't they post in that format instead of
RA?

As webmaster of the Interval Signals Archive, I'd be interested to
hear other opinions on this matter - RealAudio or MP3.

When I started the website RealAudio was the only viable option, but
of course that's no longer the case. Unitl now I've been daunted by
the prospect of converting 2,200+ audio files and amending a similar
number of text files, but if there is sufficient demand it would merit
serious consideration.

So let me know what you think here...

Dave Kernick

Old August 17th 03, 12:51 PM
WShoots1

I guess I use Real Audio because it came with WIN98. I haven't taken on the
upgrade, though, because there's allegedly some problem with it, which I
forget.

I suppose for music, MP3 is the way to go. But for voice band audio, I don't
see the need for it.

Bill, K5BY
Old August 17th 03, 12:58 PM
Gregg

Behold, Dave Kernick signaled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

As webmaster of the Interval Signals Archive, I'd be interested to hear
other opinions on this matter - RealAudio or MP3.

If you are looking for the smallest file size with the best quality, go
Vorbis .ogg format. Supported by everything, easily streamed with ICEcast
(an open-source, freeware ShoutCast).

Serious archivers don't even use .mp3 anymore, opting for FLAC, APE or
OGG.

--
Gregg
*Perhaps it's useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old August 17th 03, 04:36 PM
Clifton T. Sharp Jr.

Dave Kernick wrote:
As webmaster of the Interval Signals Archive, I'd be interested to
hear other opinions on this matter - RealAudio or MP3.

Definitely MP3. Non-proprietary, better sound quality. Doesn't need to be
upgraded every time some company feels the need for revenue. MP3 players
don't phone home to their makers like RA players like to do.

When I started the website RealAudio was the only viable option, but
of course that's no longer the case. Unitl now I've been daunted by
the prospect of converting 2,200+ audio files and amending a similar
number of text files, but if there is sufficient demand it would merit
serious consideration.

Lots of work. But you could watch the web logs and convert, say, the 100
most popular downloads and probably not have to do it all.

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.