Old September 30th 03, 05:59 PM
RHF

SH,

The 'original' Grundig-AG (Germany) Yacht Boy 500 was designed by
Grundig Germany and manufactured in Europe (Portugal).
- - - Battery HOG [.]
= = = Only Average AM/MW and SW Reception.
+ + + Good FM Sound when used with the AC Adapter.

The 'new' Grundig-USA (ETON Corp.) Yacht Boy 550 was designed and
manufactured by Tecsun GEM in China ) It is physically designed to
to look in 'shape' and 'form' to appear like the 'original' Grundig
YB-500.

Hope that Tecsun Grundig "FIXED" some of the 'original' Grundig
YB-500's problems.

? WHY IS IT ? That all the the 'original/good old times' "European
Design and Quality" Grundig Radio Collector/Lovers never mention the
Grundig YB-500 ?

~ RHF
-o/m- "Grundig Yacht Boy Radios" eGroup at YAHOO !
(Looking Forward to the Release of the Yacht Boy YB-550 PE in
September-2003.)
..
..
= = = "Drumbelly"
= = = wrote in message ...
I have no knowledge of Grundig products, but are the 550 and 500 the same
radio? I think that this one (550) is different-no? What are the
differences-similarities? Thanks-Scott

--

Cheers! Scott Hoffman

Dual Conversion, but that's not the problem. It is basically an awful
radio to use.

Dan

In article , "The DXer"
writes:

Universal Radio, Inc. has it for $99.95!

Check out at: http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0550.html

-The DXer

Old September 30th 03, 08:59 PM
Ulis Fleming

Yep! It's a Tecsun PL-230. Click on this link to see a photo of the
Tecsun version: http://www.sangean.com.cn/pic/PL-230.jpg

Ulis
http://www.radiointel.com

This new YB-550PE is probably made by Tecsun and is not likely to have
much in common with the old Grundig Germany designed models (just like
the YB-400, which uses a 2nd IF of 455 kHz instead of the typical 450
kHz and doesn't look very "Grundig like" either). The antenna is hinged
at the top of the receiver rather than the bottom (which had been very
awkward and impractical). Many of the buttons on the new model look a
bit small to me, but overall the arrangement of controls appears usable.

Stephan

Old October 1st 03, 04:09 AM
matt weber

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:55:04 +0200, Stephan Grossklass
wrote:

matt weber schrieb:

And the eronomics of the YB-500 are without a doubt the worst of any
commercial receiver. The instruction books is unreadable, and

It also eats batteries like there is no tomorrow. It was Grundig's
first attempt to resond to the Sony SW-55/77.

Rather the 55 than the 77. It is evident that the Yachtboy 360, 500 and
Satellit 900 (the one that never came out) are from the same "family" -
good sound and FM reception (well, they were Grundigs...), not so good
selectivity. I think those used a 2nd IF of 450 kHz throughout, no idea

From my persepctive the issue was the ability to assign alpha numeric
names to the stations stored in memoyr, and both the 55 and 77 do
that, as does the YB500.
why the engineers didn't choose 455 kHz with better filter choices
instead.

They had a lot to
learn. You cannot pay me enough to want to own another YB500.

Old October 1st 03, 04:11 AM
matt weber

On 30 Sep 2003 12:59:11 -0700, (Ulis Fleming)
wrote:

Yep! It's a Tecsun PL-230. Click on this link to see a photo of the
Tecsun version:
http://www.sangean.com.cn/pic/PL-230.jpg

Ulis
http://www.radiointel.com

This new YB-550PE is probably made by Tecsun and is not likely to have
much in common with the old Grundig Germany designed models (just like
the YB-400, which uses a 2nd IF of 455 kHz instead of the typical 450
kHz and doesn't look very "Grundig like" either). The antenna is hinged
at the top of the receiver rather than the bottom (which had been very
awkward and impractical). Many of the buttons on the new model look a
bit small to me, but overall the arrangement of controls appears usable.

Stephan

Does look like a YB500 however...
Old October 1st 03, 04:44 AM
RHF

UF,

We all know that the ETON Corp has the rights to use the "GRUNDIG"
Brand Name in the North American Market.

Grundig Yacht Boy 550PE - Press Release
GoTo= http://www.grundigradio.com/asp/September29.asp

But did you know that it now appears the the ETON Corp. is also
marketing "ETON" Brand Name Radios outside of North America.

ETON Corp (World Wide) also has this "ETON" Yacht Boy 550PE webpage.
GoTo= http://etoncorp.com/worldwide/yb550.asp

NOTE: For the NON-North American Market it is called (Labeled)
- - - "ETON" Yacht Boy 550 PE (Not Grundig)

There is another post on the Grundig-Yacht Boy Radios eGroup on YAHOO!
about another "ETON" Yacht Boy XXX (Not Grundig) Radio.
This too is a copy of a Tecsun Radio the "R-9700DX" that you reviewed
on your RadioIntel.Com webpages.

~ RHF
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-Yacht-Boy-Radios/
..