Old September 29th 03, 04:27 PM
The DXer

Default NEW Grundig YB 500 PE

Universal Radio, Inc. has it for $99.95!

Check out at: http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0550.html

-The DXer

Old September 29th 03, 11:15 PM
Diverd4777

DXer . .

Looks nice;
Small, but bigger than the Grundig eTraveller VII
Cheap
many memories;

- Single Reduction or Double Reduction ??

Dan

Old September 30th 03, 01:50 AM
Diverd4777

In article , "The DXer"
writes:

Universal Radio, Inc. has it for $99.95!

Check out at: http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0550.html

-The DXer

- This its " roots" ??

http://www.radiointel.com/radpic/de1...-front-hkr.jpg
Old September 30th 03, 02:38 AM
matt weber

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:27:13 GMT, "The DXer"
wrote:

Universal Radio, Inc. has it for $99.95!

Check out at: http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0550.html

-The DXer

And the eronomics of the YB-500 are without a doubt the worst of any
commercial receiver. The instruction books is unreadable, and

It also eats batteries like there is no tomorrow. It was Grundig's
first attempt to resond to the Sony SW-55/77. They had a lot to
learn. You cannot pay me enough to want to own another YB500.
Old September 30th 03, 03:07 AM
Drumbelly

I have no knowledge of Grundig products, but are the 550 and 500 the same
radio? I think that this one (550) is different-no? What are the
differences-similarities? Thanks-Scott

--

Cheers! Scott Hoffman

Dual Conversion, but that's not the problem. It is basically an awful
radio to use.

Dan

Old September 30th 03, 05:56 AM
Frank Dresser

"matt weber" wrote in message

And the eronomics of the YB-500 are without a doubt the worst of any
commercial receiver. The instruction books is unreadable, and

It also eats batteries like there is no tomorrow. It was Grundig's
first attempt to resond to the Sony SW-55/77. They had a lot to
learn. You cannot pay me enough to want to own another YB500.

My cousin has one of those. He asked me for some tips on how to use it. It
didn't take me long to realize that the YB 500 was, and is, the single most
annoying radio I have ever had the displeasure to work with. And the manual
was nearly incomprehensible. But it's a good performing radio with nice
sound. 100 bucks? I'll bet Art Bell could have sold a million of 'em at
twice the price. Every Bell fan wants, no needs, a radio designed for
visitors from another planet.

Frank Dresser

Old September 30th 03, 11:21 AM
Diverd4777

In article , matt weber
writes:

And the eronomics of the YB-500 are without a doubt the worst of any
commercial receiver. The instruction books is unreadable, and

It also eats batteries like there is no tomorrow. It was Grundig's
first attempt to resond to the Sony SW-55/77. They had a lot to
learn. You cannot pay me enough to want to own another YB500.

- And , building on the name of the above set, Grundig has ( It looks) come out
with another set called the 550 PE..
- but since everone calls it the 500, it'll take a while to catch on.

Akin to someone coming out whith a newly designed car called he "Edsell "
or "Corvair"

Dan

Old September 30th 03, 01:55 PM
Stephan Grossklass

matt weber schrieb:

And the eronomics of the YB-500 are without a doubt the worst of any
commercial receiver. The instruction books is unreadable, and

It also eats batteries like there is no tomorrow. It was Grundig's
first attempt to resond to the Sony SW-55/77.

Rather the 55 than the 77. It is evident that the Yachtboy 360, 500 and
Satellit 900 (the one that never came out) are from the same "family" -
good sound and FM reception (well, they were Grundigs...), not so good
selectivity. I think those used a 2nd IF of 450 kHz throughout, no idea
why the engineers didn't choose 455 kHz with better filter choices
instead.

They had a lot to
learn. You cannot pay me enough to want to own another YB500.

This new YB-550PE is probably made by Tecsun and is not likely to have
much in common with the old Grundig Germany designed models (just like
the YB-400, which uses a 2nd IF of 455 kHz instead of the typical 450
kHz and doesn't look very "Grundig like" either). The antenna is hinged
at the top of the receiver rather than the bottom (which had been very
awkward and impractical). Many of the buttons on the new model look a
bit small to me, but overall the arrangement of controls appears usable.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/ | Webm.: http://www.i24.com/
PC#6: i440LX, 2xCel300A, 448 MB, 18 GB, ATI AGP 32 MB, 110W
Old September 30th 03, 05:46 PM
RHF

= = = "Frank Dresser"
= = = wrote in message ...
"matt weber" wrote in message

And the eronomics of the YB-500 are without a doubt the worst of any
commercial receiver. The instruction books is unreadable, and

It also eats batteries like there is no tomorrow. It was Grundig's
first attempt to resond to the Sony SW-55/77. They had a lot to
learn. You cannot pay me enough to want to own another YB500.

My cousin has one of those. He asked me for some tips on how to use it. It
didn't take me long to realize that the YB 500 was, and is, the single most
annoying radio I have ever had the displeasure to work with. And the manual
was nearly incomprehensible.

..
..
FD,

The 'original' Grundig-AG (Germany) Yacht Boy 500 "manual" was written
in Zeta Talk )
GoTo= http://www.zetatalk.com/

The 'new' Grundig-USA (ETON Corp.) Yacht Boy 550 "manual" was written
in TecsunGrundigese Speak )

~ RHF
-o/m- "Grundig Yacht Boy Radios" eGroup at YAHOO !
(Looking Forward to the Release of the Yacht Boy YB-550 PE in
September-2003.)
..
..