Old November 27th 03, 03:08 AM
Rolland

Default Inexpensive receivers?

I used to listen to my dad's old halicrafter when I was growing up. Hours
spent listening to Radio Hanoi and Radio Moscow usually had me rolling on
the floor. I was wondering if there were some radios around that would pick
up those Europian stations and not empty my wallet.

Rolland

Old November 27th 03, 03:37 AM
Tony Meloche

"Rolland

I used to listen to my dad's old halicrafter when I was growing up. Hours
spent listening to Radio Hanoi and Radio Moscow usually had me rolling on
the floor. I was wondering if there were some radios around that would pick
up those Europian stations and not empty my wallet.

Rolland

Well, first you must learn a new lesson, as your original experience
was long ago:

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!

Radio Moscow is now called the Voice of Russia, and while you will get
their partisan political overtones in a lot of their English-language
broadcasts, it is nothing like what we used to hear years ago. There is
also a lot of really good listening on V of R, too. Times have changed.

Radio Hanoi no longer exists under that name, but most (not all) of the
broadcasts of Voice of Vietnam originate from Hanoi. Their easy-to-hear
broadcasts come from a transmiter relay in Sackville, Canada! (Did I
mention that times have changed?) All other Vietnamese stations are of
light-bulb output power and require a top-drawer receiver, good antenna
and excellent listening conditions. But V of R and V of Vietnam can be
heard easily, at least at night (and V of R frequently during the day)
on a good $100 portable, especially with a 20-odd foot reel-up antenna
attached (about nine bucks).

If I read correctly into your post (which I have no right to do of
course, but I'm going out on a limb), political extremism cracks you
up. If that's what you seek, there are plenty of choices right here in
the USA you can receive easily at any time of the day on a good
portable. WBCQ in Kennubunk, Maine will have you rolling on the floor,
and it's only one of several.

Other less-controversial international stations that you can hear easily
on above-mentioned portable would include Deutchse Welle, Radio Exterior
de Espana,
Voice of Greece, and Radio Nederlands. There are others, too. Hope
this was some help!

Tony

Old November 27th 03, 12:08 PM
Diverd4777

In article , "Rolland" rollaand1Take this
writes:

I used to listen to my dad's old halicrafter when I was growing up. Hours
spent listening to Radio Hanoi and Radio Moscow usually had me rolling on
the floor. I was wondering if there were some radios around that would pick
up those Europian stations and not empty my wallet.

Rolland

Rolland:

here's a receiver survey; try for portables 75 - 200

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/rx_current.htm

- ANd . . .
heres a link to WBCQ

http://www.wbcq.com/modules/news/

http://www.wbcq.us/wbcqtheplanet_001.htm

They have broadcasts by people who take Crop Circles very Seriously

( They also have good Music Shows on Weekends)

& Jean Sheperd at 17:00 New York Time on Mondays

Build a nice outdoors antenna while you wait for your set.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Dan

Old November 27th 03, 10:06 PM
Joe Strain

Rolland: It appears nobody has answered your question : "I was wondering if
there were some radios around that would pick up those Europian stations and
not empty my wallet."

Indeed there are. The Grundig S 350 and the Degen (see radiointel.com)
(reviews of receivers) both cost $100.00

There was a large close out of $100 and $250.00 reeivers at radio shack
some time back...Their Radio shack badged Sangean receivers could be had for
$39.00 and $99 and they are excellent radios. There are analog multiband
radios out there as low as $20.00

God luck and start slowly so you dont take a bath before all your questions
are answered or needs defined.

Yodar in Orlando Fl.

======================

Old November 28th 03, 05:12 AM
Rolland

Thanks to everyone. I received many responses off group so I'm sorting
through the info and looking at prices and features on the net. Once again,
Thanks much.

Rolland

. ..

Old November 28th 03, 03:11 PM
RHF

Rolland,

If you want to 'expand beyond' the $100 Price Range:

Here is a 'Short List' of Portable Shortwave Receivers
- - - and some YAHOO! eGroups to Help You Check-Them-Out !

* Sony ICF-2010 (AM, SYNC-AM & SSB) ~$360 {USED}
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icf2010/

* Sangean ATS-909 (AM & SSB) ~$240 [NEW]
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DX398/

* Sony ICF-7600GR (AM, AM-SYNC & SSB) ~$180 [NEW]
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7600group/

* Grundig YB-400 PE (AM & SSB) ~$160 [NEW]
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig_Yacht_Boy_Radios/

* Grundig S350 (AM Only) ~$100 [NEW]
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-S-350/

~ RHF
..
-o/m- "Grundig S350" eGroup at YAHOO !
AKA: The Next Generation of SUPER RADIO for the New Millennium !
..
-o/m- "Grundig Satellit 900" eGroup at YAHOO !
(In Development - Pending the Release of the GS900 in CY-2004.)
..
-o/m- "Grundig Yacht Boy Radios" eGroup at YAHOO !
The Focus on the Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Radios.

-o/m- "SWL Antennas and AM & FM Antennas" eGroup at YAHOO !
Focused on Receive Only SWL, AM and FM Antennas. ~GolBewYm~
..
..

Old November 29th 03, 04:28 AM
TIM O'HARE

"Rolland" rollaand1Take this wrote in message ...
I used to listen to my dad's old halicrafter when I was growing up. Hours
spent listening to Radio Hanoi and Radio Moscow usually had me rolling on
the floor. I was wondering if there were some radios around that would pick
up those Europian stations and not empty my wallet.

Rolland

rolland,
i have a sony 2002 rcvr for sale.digital readout
----10 memories---am,fm ,cw, ssb.500 khz -30 mhz
--about the size of a paperback book. works very
well.good antenna. looks good(back is scratched
but does not affect performance)-- do not have
the manual tho.(you can down-load it on the intenet) i amsking $60.00
fo it & i will pay the shipping!!!!!
best regards
tim o'hare