Old January 2nd 04, 09:31 PM
elfa

Default No posts of transmitters in this group...why?

I notice that many of you have your call signs included in your sig lines. Yet
I never see any posts regarding the various opinions on the best transmitters
used for SSB shortwave. Is this the wrong group for a topic like that?

Also, I occassionally listen in on 3907.8 LSB and catch what seems like a
California based 'relay ring' (?) It seems like many HAMs just check in and
discuss propagation conditions. Before signoff, the leader gives a website for
this ring but I have yet to hear the name correctly. Anyone familiar with a
ring on this freq? It usually comes to life about 8PM Pacific time.

thanks

elfa

Old January 2nd 04, 11:54 PM
Michael Black

elfa ) writes:
I notice that many of you have your call signs included in your sig lines. Yet
I never see any posts regarding the various opinions on the best transmitters
used for SSB shortwave. Is this the wrong group for a topic like that?

Also, I occassionally listen in on 3907.8 LSB and catch what seems like a
California based 'relay ring' (?) It seems like many HAMs just check in and
discuss propagation conditions. Before signoff, the leader gives a website for
this ring but I have yet to hear the name correctly. Anyone familiar with a
ring on this freq? It usually comes to life about 8PM Pacific time.

thanks

elfa

This newsgroup is intended for discussion related to monitoring of radio
signals. I don't have a handy URL handy, but that clearly was the intention
when I went digging last year.

In some ways, it is misnamed, since it was never intended that it be
limited to "shortwave", hence the AM BCB posts, and even bits about
FM BCB DX'ing.

There are some scanner newsgroups (and I don't have names) that do
deal better with their coverage.

And, there is a whole sub-hierarchy for amateur radio, rec.radio.amateur.*
While obviously some of the ham bands are in the shortwave segment
and people do listen to the ham bands without ever getting a license
(and that listening to ham bands tends to fit in here), rec.radio.shortwave
is hardly the place for most amateur radio related content. It's not
fair to the others here who aren't interested in the hobby.

Michael

Old January 3rd 04, 01:28 AM
Mike Lindo

I have heard the, "Friendship Net", on 3908 khz LSB on Fridays' 2000 hrs
PST.

--
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle
behind each blade of grass." --Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Old January 3rd 04, 05:45 AM
WShoots1

Well, for me, I come to this group to get away from hamming and even other,
non-radio, stuff.

Shortwave listening is my "roots." It got me into ham radio and then a lifetime
electronics career.

Of course the big SW transmitters are sometimes discussed, as are the little
ones aka pirate stations. G

73,
Bill, K5BY
Old January 3rd 04, 09:03 AM
RHF

ELFA,

The Amateurs (HAMs) have "Google-Groups-Rec-Radio-Amateur"
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....radio.amateur

Plus Eleven (11) Sub-Groups:
* rec.radio.amateur.antenna
* rec.radio.amateur.misc
* rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
* rec.radio.amateur.packet
* rec.radio.amateur.digital
* rec.radio.amateur.policy
* rec.radio.amateur.dx
* rec.radio.amateur.space
* rec.radio.amateur.equipment
* rec.radio.amateur.swap
* rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

The Shortwave Listeners (SWLs) just have this
One (1) "Google-Groups-Rec-Radio-Shortwave"

YES - "Shortwave" is in the 'name' but AM/MW and
DXing in general are also part of the mix which
includes a good deal of Troll Trash and Politics.

~ RHF
..
..
= = = elfa

This still applys today Landshark CB 21 October 7th 04 07:44 AM
ALL MUST READ!!! Reg1647 CB 54 December 18th 03 06:08 AM
Shut Up Twisted, Shut Up Rec.radio.cb Betterment League CB 2 November 28th 03 03:08 PM