Old January 24th 04, 05:24 AM
Frank Dresser

"CW" wrote in message
He has no evidence. It is a product of his mind. It has always been
government policy to prevent any one, or only a few, entities from
controlling the majority of the media. That includes newspapers, TV

and
radio. The reason for that was to ensure variety of opinion. We had a

case
here locally a year of so ago where, one of the two largest newspapers

in
the area wanted to buy the other. They had to get government

permission to
do so. They were denied. If it had been two bicycle factories, the
government would have no say about it. The deregulation and buy up of

radio
stations is due to greed helped along by a president (passed) that had

the
motto "Morals? We don't need no stinkin' morals".

The government might have had something to say about the bicycle
factories if the buyout led to a monopoly of the US bicycle market. But
the whole anti trust picture has changed in the last 30 years or so for
both bicycle factories and the media. I'm sure the competition from new
media such as cable TV, sattelite radio and TV and the internet has
changed Congress' and the FCC's opinion on the need for strict ownership
regulation.

Anyway, Clear Channel is making a profit now, but I don't think it's a
particularly big profit. Despite running a huge number of radio
stations, I doubt their stock will rise like Microsoft's did in the 90s.
Nor do I think Clear Channel and the other large networks will be raking
in the cash like the radio and TV networks did back from about 1930 to
1980.

Let's not forget that some stations were going dark a few years ago.
That was fine with me, because when I tune around at night I think there
are too damn many stations, but Congress didn't ask my opinion. I did
see the sense of the old restrictions, and if a radio station couldn't
make enough money to stay on the air, they shouldn't. I suppose the
modern Congressman feared taking the political blame if one or two small
market stations in his district should go dark.

Oh well. At least telecommunications act, or whatever they called it.
didn't bloat the government or the deficit. Other legislation has been
worse.

Frank Dresser

Old January 24th 04, 05:35 AM
Frank Dresser

"RedOctober90" wrote in message
om...
But of course... your one of those "government is so nice and does
everything in the favor of the people.. awwwwwwww"

Wake up. The government would never allow a WBCQ type station to get
on regualr AM/FM radio, this is why you only find these silly neo-con
"buy my book buy my tape type" You have some of these neo-cons who one
day say "Bush is god" then another day "Bush sucks" These guys aren't
really doing anything but spewing crap. But.. this is acceptable by
the government. Anyone talking the realities would be quickly called a
racist and booted off the air.

Is this limited to WBCQ? The Alex Jones Show, The Power Hour and
Brother Stair all buy time on local time brokered stations. Bo Gritz
used to, but he seems to be out of broadcasting.

Frank Dresser

Old January 24th 04, 06:29 AM
CW

Anybody with half a brain would look up facts. I guess you're at about the
quarter level.
"RedOctober90" wrote in message
om...
But of course... your one of those "government is so nice and does
everything in the favor of the people.. awwwwwwww"

Wake up. The government would never allow a WBCQ type station to get
on regualr AM/FM radio, this is why you only find these silly neo-con
"buy my book buy my tape type" You have some of these neo-cons who one
day say "Bush is god" then another day "Bush sucks" These guys aren't
really doing anything but spewing crap. But.. this is acceptable by
the government. Anyone talking the realities would be quickly called a
racist and booted off the air.

"CW" wrote in message

There you go again, proving your idiocy.
"RedOctober90" wrote in message
om...
To the liberal left it sounds like crap, since they promote
censorship, and have no concept of free airwaves.

You sound like a troll, calling me an "idiot" What have I written here
that is wrong? It is true that the feds are afraid of someone using
shortwave to spread beyond-the-fringe politics to a mass audience
around the country.

And also, they want Clear Channel to run American airwaves and only
promote "governmentally approved" politics.

"CW" wrote in message

That's crap and you know it. Some are already suspecting that you're

an
idiot. I would think you would try not to prove them right.

"RedOctober90" wrote in message
om...
The reason for the ban on domestic broadcasting in the United

States
is that the feds tend to be afraid of the attributes of shortwave

and
the ability to transmit across an entire nation. They want Clear
Channel to own all the domestic broadcasters so they can broadcast
what they "approve of"

Even though WBCQ isn't transmitting "domestically," it's still

mostly
listened to by people in the US.

Old January 24th 04, 06:33 AM
CW

The current situation has nothing to do with keeping stations on the air. It
has everything to do with who is paying off the politicians. Our government
is, for the most part, for sale to the highest bidder.

Old January 24th 04, 01:20 PM
David

So what is Sirius and XM?

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 20:02:49 GMT, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:

"RHF" wrote in message
. com...
JW,

While GM could promote its Cars and Trucks "Nation Wide" on 'one'
Single Powerful Shortwave Station. (NOTE: It does not.)

GM does promote its Cars and Trucks "Nation Wide" on hundreds
of 'local' AM/FM Stations. Plus 'local' GM Dealers also use
local AM/FM Stations to promote GM Cars and Trucks.

The current AM/FM/TV Station Broadcast Model helps to build
local business and churn more money within the local economy.

All Politics are Local and our US Representatives and US Senators
plus our State and Local Elected Representatives are interested
in a thriving "Local Economy." The FCC Does What Congress Permits.

The National Economy is actual Hundreds of Regional Economies
make up of Hundreds of 'local' Economies.

WHATS GOOD FOR BUSINESS IS GOOD FOR AM/FM/TV BROADCASTING IN THE USA

[.]

Non-Domestic [Nation Wide] Shortwave Broadcasting 'exists' to
fill a limited business (social) need.

If the FCC did not WANT (allow) [Nation Wide] Non-Domestic Shortwave
Broadcasting then Dr Gene Scott and many others would be off the air.

With the Advent of Domestic XM and Sirius 'direct' Satellite Radio
Broadcasting; over time more domestic "Nation Wide" Broadcasting
will develop for that media.

TBL: Non-Domestic [Nation Wide] Shortwave Broadcasting in Ten (10)
to Fifty (50) Years will be what it is Today a Business Operating
within its Limited Market.

~ RHF
.

GM promotes it's cars nationwide on nationwide TV programming.

Car ads on radio are usually sponsored by a dealer or a dealer's
association.

There isn't much nationwide programming on radio anymore. When there
was, there was also nationwide radio advertising.

I don't see how much of this resulted from any deliberate government
policy.

Frank Dresser

Old January 24th 04, 04:02 PM
Frank Dresser

"David" wrote in message
So what is Sirius and XM?

Right now, sattelite radio only has a small fraction of the nationwide
influence that the networks used to have.

Frank Dresser

Old January 24th 04, 04:02 PM
Frank Dresser

"CW" wrote in message
The current situation has nothing to do with keeping stations on the

air.

Keeping stations on the air was one of the justifications for the
telecommunications act of 1996. The National Association of
Broadcasters says:

"Today, the industry has rebounded financially but, just 10 years ago,
60 percent of stations were losing money. Many stations had gone off the
air, depriving communities of the local service upon which they had come
to rely."

This if from:

http://www.rwonline.com/reference-ro...tatement.shtml

I prefered the old rules.

It
has everything to do with who is paying off the politicians. Our

government
is, for the most part, for sale to the highest bidder.

That's another can 'o worms. The voting public doesn't pay much
attention to what their representives are up to. I stumbled across a
local public radio show in which each of candidates in our upcoming
governor's race will be interviewed. Each candidate on the ballot gets
a one hour interview. The interviewer seems well informed and asks the
right questions. It's repeated several times. And it will have far
less impact than a big money misleading political media campaign.

Frank Dresser

Old January 24th 04, 04:17 PM
Stinger

Wow...I think this is one thing that liberals and conservatives can actually
agree upon:

Your theory is just plain dumb.

Not only does this argument assume that U.S. listeners wouldn't hear
shortwave broadcasts from overseas (which would obviously be unregulated by
the USA's FCC), but the policy was put in place by the FCC literally decades
before the radio conglomerate "Clear Channel Communications" was
incorporated.

Duh!

-- Stinger

Old January 24th 04, 04:33 PM
Stinger

You make some good points, Frank.

Another thing that I believe is going to change the domestic radio landscape
is satellite radio.

Do you have XM or Sirius radio yourself, or have you talked to people that
have it? To a person, every one of them that I've spoken with is totally
hooked on it, and would not give it up for anything. And -- that's almost
ALL they listen to in their vehicles anymore.

This means the "free" broadcast radio listener pool is shrinking, and that
trend will continue (very probably exponentially) with time.

The paradigm where AM radio was for talk and FM radio was for (mostly) music
had begun to shift a few years ago, as more talk moved to FM.

I think the advent of satellite radio will force local broadcaters to:
(1) have to jealously defend their turf on "local" content to survive. An
argument has already begun over a "local traffic reports" channel on XM.
(2) lead to more "narrowcasting" to target specific audiences (for both
mediums)
(3) lead to fewer commercials (but at more money per "spot") as commercial
broadcasters become sensitive to competing with commercial-free radio.

It's going to be interesting, for sure.

-- Stinger

Old January 24th 04, 06:45 PM
Frank Dresser

"Stinger" wrote in message
You make some good points, Frank.

Another thing that I believe is going to change the domestic radio

landscape
is satellite radio.

Do you have XM or Sirius radio yourself, or have you talked to people

that
have it? To a person, every one of them that I've spoken with is

totally
hooked on it, and would not give it up for anything. And -- that's

almost
ALL they listen to in their vehicles anymore.

I don't have sattelite radio, and I don't know anyone who does. I've
heard it on store displays. I dislike subscription services, so I
haven't looked into many details.

This means the "free" broadcast radio listener pool is shrinking, and

that
trend will continue (very probably exponentially) with time.

There are limits. I'm sure I'm not the only person who isn't
considering a subscription radio service. But it's never been easier to
get a wide variety of recorded music, and it's never been easier and
cheaper to make a large volume of personal recordings. This is real
compitition for all the broadcast media.

The paradigm where AM radio was for talk and FM radio was for (mostly)

music
had begun to shift a few years ago, as more talk moved to FM.

I think the advent of satellite radio will force local broadcaters to:
(1) have to jealously defend their turf on "local" content to survive.

An
argument has already begun over a "local traffic reports" channel on

XM.
(2) lead to more "narrowcasting" to target specific audiences (for

both
mediums)
(3) lead to fewer commercials (but at more money per "spot") as

commercial
broadcasters become sensitive to competing with commercial-free radio.

It's going to be interesting, for sure.

-- Stinger

We'll see. I think local radio still has alot of advantages in big
cities.

Frank Dresser

Has shortwave got a future? Mike Terry Broadcasting 25 November 27th 04 11:46 PM
I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Joe S. Shortwave 2 July 18th 03 04:50 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Dxing Since 1957 Shortwave 0 July 4th 03 05:37 PM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? LLOYD DAVIES N0VFP General 0 July 4th 03 04:21 PM