Old January 24th 04, 10:53 PM
Bugrunner

Default Best radio in the 150.00 range

I am interested in getting into SW and have been looking at the various
receivers out there. I would like to stay in the 150.00 price range, and
have found 3 radios that seem similar in function. I would appreciate any
input to help with my decision. I am thinking about the Grundig YB400PE,
Sony ICF-SW7600GR or the Sangean ATS-505P. Also can anyone recommend the
best online retailer.
Thanks..

Old January 24th 04, 11:20 PM
Sanjaya

"Bugrunner" wrote...
I am interested in getting into SW and have been looking at the various
receivers out there. I would like to stay in the 150.00 price range, and
have found 3 radios that seem similar in function. I would appreciate any
input to help with my decision. I am thinking about the Grundig YB400PE,
Sony ICF-SW7600GR or the Sangean ATS-505P. Also can anyone recommend the
best online retailer.
Thanks..

I have all 3 of those. I love them all too.
But I recommend the 7600GR if you're going to
own just one radio.
What do you mean by the best online retailer?
Prices? Authorized dealers? Reputation? Service?

Old January 25th 04, 12:04 AM
Stephan Grossklass

Bugrunner schrieb:

I am interested in getting into SW and have been looking at the various
receivers out there. I would like to stay in the 150.00 price range,

150.00 what? US$, EUR, AUD, CAN$, beans, apples, oranges, ...?

and
have found 3 radios that seem similar in function. I would appreciate any
input to help with my decision. I am thinking about the Grundig YB400PE,
Sony ICF-SW7600GR or the Sangean ATS-505P.

The Sangean is targeted a bit below the first two; it apparently doesn't
have as good selectivity (though rather good sensitivity and good
battery life), and some users have commented on the tuning knob having a
cheap feel to it.

The distance between the other two is smaller (either of them would make
a good choice), though I'd say the Sony has the edge with its synch
detection, more memories, better SSB reception and less hunger in terms
of batteries / rechargeables. (It does, however, suffer from some
imaging and doesn't have terrific selectivity on FM with the stock
filters.) Should be quite well built, too.
The Grundig has been commented on as sounding better (though some people
have apparently had tinny-sounding ?lemons?, el cheapo Chinese speakers
perhaps?), and it does have selectable filters for AM (with the "wide"
filter apparently being the one used in the 7600GR, which is fine for
general listening but not perfect for SSB).

Myself, I started out with the older ICF-SW7600G, which is a fine SWL
rig except it absolutely spoiled me in terms of using presets (or
rather: not using them) - it had waaay too little of those for
shortwave. (10 for FM is okay, but 10 for LW/MW/SW... not really.)

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xCel300A, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, ATI AGP 32 MiB, 110W
Old January 25th 04, 10:05 AM
Sanjaya

"radiok3pi" wrote...
I have or have had all 3 also. Bugrunner is right. Personally, I
like Universal Radio in Ohio. The 7600GR is far superior to the other
two for sideband reception.

Russ

"Sanjaya" wrote...
"Bugrunner" wrote...
I am interested in getting into SW and have been looking at the various
receivers out there. I would like to stay in the 150.00 price range, and
have found 3 radios that seem similar in function. I would appreciate any
input to help with my decision. I am thinking about the Grundig YB400PE,
Sony ICF-SW7600GR or the Sangean ATS-505P. Also can anyone recommend the
best online retailer.
Thanks..

I have all 3 of those. I love them all too.
But I recommend the 7600GR if you're going to
own just one radio.
What do you mean by the best online retailer?
Prices? Authorized dealers? Reputation? Service?

universal-radio.com is a great place to shop, but they don't
sell the 7600GR online, due to a request from Sony. One has
to call for pricing and/or ordering. I'm not sure what Bugrunner
meant by "online retailer"... universal is online, but they don't
sell the Sony online. I'd guess their price is in line with other
vendors though.. $150 to $170. Anyone know???

Old January 25th 04, 12:22 PM
RHF

BugRunner,

Of the three 'portable' SWL Receivers that you listed:
(My Choice would be the Sony ICF-SW7600GR)

* * * * Sony ICF-SW7600GR
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/icf-sw7600gr.html
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1534
100 Memories
AM-SYNC Detector
Selectable SSB with Fine Tuning
Variable RF Attenuator

* * Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/yb400.html
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/816
40 Memories
Selectable SSB with Fine Tuning
Two IF Filters (Wide & Narrow)
Local-DX Switch

* Sangean ATS-505P
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/html/ats505.html
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1070
45 Memories
SSB with 'Clarify' Knob
Local-DX Switch

Radio Netherlands' Receiver Shopping List
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/rx_sort1.html

RN - Discontinued Receivers Shopping List:
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/rx_discontinued.html

eHAM - General Coverage Receivers
http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/8

Concerning "Discount" OnLine Retailers: Start with Universal
Radio and expand your search out from there to find both the
'best' Price and Level of Service that you require.

DON'T FORGET A GOOD SWL ANTENNA - The Antenna is 55.5% of
the Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation.

iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night... You Can Hear Forever and Beyond !
..
..
= = = "Bugrunner"

Old January 25th 04, 01:45 PM
Diverd4777

In article . net, "Sanjaya"
writes:

I have all 3 of those. I love them all too.
But I recommend the 7600GR if you're going to
own just one radio.
What do you mean by the best online retailer?
Prices? Authorized dealers? Reputation? Service?

universal-radio.com is a great place to shop, but they don't
sell the 7600GR online, due to a request from Sony. One has
to call for pricing and/or ordering. I'm not sure what Bugrunner
meant by "online retailer"... universal is online, but they don't
sell the Sony online. I'd guess their price is in line with other
vendors though.. $150 to $170. Anyone know???

He J and R .com...

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...on_Id=1&P rod
uct_Id=1627439

My guess is universal is about in line with J and R; no one makes a killing
selling electronics;

Dan

Old January 26th 04, 12:14 AM
RHF

RFCS,

The implication is that Universal-Radio's SONY Prices are "So Low"
that they can Not Be Published. [ Now Is That True ? ]

Anyone Know For Sure - How URs Sony Prices compare with Grove and others.

iwtk ~ RHF
..
..
= = = (RFCOMMSYS)
= = = wrote in message ...
said ---

I am thinking about the Grundig YB400PE,
Sony ICF-SW7600GR or the Sangean ATS-505P.

No contest ... the Sony wins.

Also can anyone recommend the
best online retailer.

Try Universal Radio or Grove. Universal will require you to phone in your order
for the Sony (some bizarre rule Sony has).

..
Old January 26th 04, 03:01 AM
JIAW

I think it has something to do with the fact that Universal doesn't carry
the "authorized Sony reseller" designation. For example, Amazon and J&R
Electronics have this designation and both sell Sony merchandise with
prices.

Just a guess on my part, though.

"RHF" wrote in message
om...
RFCS,

The implication is that Universal-Radio's SONY Prices are "So Low"
that they can Not Be Published. [ Now Is That True ? ]

Anyone Know For Sure - How URs Sony Prices compare with Grove and others.

iwtk ~ RHF
.
.
= = = (RFCOMMSYS)