Old February 19th 04, 05:39 AM
Gerald Pine

Default Political posts, rudeness

I'm not pointing fingers at any particular person, but am I alone in being
bothered by the numerous political posts and downright rudeness that seems
to be becoming more frequent here? Wouldn't we have a more enjoyable
experience if we kept to the subject of the group?
Old February 19th 04, 05:52 AM
Frank Dresser

"Gerald Pine" wrote in message
news
I'm not pointing fingers at any particular person, but am I alone in

being
bothered by the numerous political posts and downright rudeness that

seems
to be becoming more frequent here? Wouldn't we have a more enjoyable
experience if we kept to the subject of the group?

Some people seem to enjoy the expirence of being downright rude.

On topic posts are frequently rude. Off topic posts are often polite.

This group has had it's ups and downs. I remember it being worse about
this time last year. It does seem the overall volume of posts are down
over the last couple of years.

Frank Dresser

Old February 19th 04, 06:09 AM
Jim Hackett

You are not alone. This group pretty much sucks anymore unless you kill
file all the losers. There are plenty of them...

Old February 19th 04, 08:50 AM
donutbandit

Gerald Pine wrote in
news
I'm not pointing fingers at any particular person, but am I alone in
being bothered by the numerous political posts and downright rudeness
that seems to be becoming more frequent here? Wouldn't we have a more
enjoyable experience if we kept to the subject of the group?

The same thing goes on to some extent in every group I read. Complaining
about it does no good. There is one surefire answer: DON'T talk about it,
DON'T get into arguments with them, killfile the trolls, and kill topics
you don't care for.

Some seem to take a perverse delight in posting off topic rants, and then
watch all the responses pile up. If nobody ever responded, it would get old
very quickly.

Old February 19th 04, 04:00 PM
strange vermicelli

"Gerald Pine" wrote in message
news
I'm not pointing fingers at any particular person, but am I alone in

being
bothered by the numerous political posts and downright rudeness that

seems
to be becoming more frequent here? Wouldn't we have a more enjoyable
experience if we kept to the subject of the group?

That would spoil everything. All the goofballs that R. Hollingsworth
ran off of 14.313 and 75 Meters have "planted roots" in the radio
related NG's. The worst one of these being "rec.radio.cb" whic is
a 24/7 sandbox fight by grown children. Check it out sometime.

Old February 19th 04, 06:01 PM
Maximus

Cool, a board where people post stuff they don't want read by people who
will not be reading. I can see some political discussion, but with respect
and politeness. We CAN agree to disagree without being rude and nasty. If
the number of posts have diminished it likely has more to do with the
propogation. The ones I dislike are the ones running people down in such a
degrading way. I won't waste my time trying to delete everything. It is
possible to learn something you overlooked by reading an opposite political
view. There is nothing to be learned from spitting at people.

Il Dolce Far Niente
"Frank White" wrote in message
In article ,

says...

I'm not pointing fingers at any particular person, but am I alone in

being
bothered by the numerous political posts and downright rudeness that

seems
to be becoming more frequent here? Wouldn't we have a more enjoyable
experience if we kept to the subject of the group?

Yes. But it's an election year. They'll be coming out of the
woodwork until November, on ALL newsgroups.

'Killfile' and/or 'ignore' are your only options if you wish to
keep reading Usenet.

FW

Old February 19th 04, 09:33 PM
T. Early

"Gerald Pine" wrote in message
news
I'm not pointing fingers at any particular person, but am I alone in

being
bothered by the numerous political posts and downright rudeness that

seems
to be becoming more frequent here? Wouldn't we have a more

enjoyable
experience if we kept to the subject of the group?

To answer the direct question, probably yes.

But I just checked several hundred of the more recent posts on this
group and relatively few are on purely political topics. That's not
bad considering the hobby seems to attract individuals with strong
political views.

There have been times when the group was unreadable, but I don't think
that this is one of them, nor do I think all "political" topics can be
completely banned from a shortwave group when the listening experience
is often political in nature. Are we to say, for example, that
discussion of the overt politicization of the BBC is inappropriate?

Old February 20th 04, 06:18 AM
Gerald Pine

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:33:36 -0500, T. Early wrote:

[...]

I appreciate the responses, and yes I do realize that I'm not adding much
to the subject of the group by even raising the issue. You are correct
that it isn't near the point of making the news group unreadable. Perhaps
Maximus made the best suggestion. If people just keep it civil, that
would be a good thing. I certainly don't suggest any type of censorship
except self censorship. The freedom of expression is one of the things
that makes usenet so great. I just think that some posts (my own
included) could benefit by letting them sit for a day or two. In any
case, enough. I made my point and I'll stop adding clutter until I have
an on-subject post.

Old February 20th 04, 10:01 PM
RedOctober90

I've already explained this many times but people don't seem to follow.

Just killfile off-topic or rude posters... the amount of garbage drops considerably.

This still applys today Landshark CB 21 October 7th 04 07:44 AM
ALL MUST READ!!! Reg1647 CB 54 December 18th 03 06:08 AM
i dont mind the political posts For Example Shortwave 7 August 13th 03 05:33 PM
OT, Political, and other Zealot Posts No Cal Ham Shortwave 0 July 22nd 03 07:02 PM