Old February 22nd 04, 11:00 PM
JG Lane

Default Yachtboy 400: Problem with On-Off Switch

I have a Yachtboy 400, purchased around 1997. For the last couple of
years, I've used it very little, and it has been stored in a filing
cabinet. It's never been dropped or otherwise abused. It was stored
flat in the drawer, with nothing falling on top of it that I can think
of.

Yesterday, I pulled it out to use at my desk. I've discovered that
the On-Off switch does not turn the radio off. It switches between
the radio display and the time display, but the radio continues to
play on. This is going to be very bad on batteries! ;-)

I've reset it, and checked the Lock button. However, I can't find my
manual (we moved a year ago, things are still in boxes in the attic),
so I may be overlooking something that should be obvious. My memory is
faint on how the Lock button worked. OTOH, perhaps the switch has
gone bad with age.

Can anyone point out anything I might be missing? If the opinion is
that the switch has gone bad, can anyone recommend a repair facility
in the Atlanta, Georgia area? Or--is the radio too old and the repair
too expensive to make it worthwhile?

Other than this oddity, it's working fine in all other aspects.

I appreciate any help you might can give me. Thanks very much,

JGLane
Old February 22nd 04, 11:41 PM
Ron Hardin

Plug in a AC adapter plug to turn it off (adapter unplugged)

Just the bare plug with no wire would do it, if you can find one at
radio shack.
--
Ron Hardin

Old February 23rd 04, 05:37 AM
Charles Hawtrey

JG Lane stumbled to the microphone and
mumbled:

Yesterday, I pulled it out to use at my desk. I've discovered that
the On-Off switch does not turn the radio off. It switches between
the radio display and the time display, but the radio continues to
play on.

I had a problem like this years ago with the first YB400 I bought --
either it wouldn't turn on consistently, or it wouldn't turn off, I
forget which. Anyway Grundig ended up replacing it under warranty. I
realize your warranty is long since expired but just thought I'd offer
a data point to show that your case is at least to some extent a known
problem with this model.

Sometimes I think modern electronics try to be too smart for their own
good. Fewer and fewer items contain a basic electromechanical switch
that when you turn it off, actually disconnects the power!

--
I am not suffering from insanity, quite the opposite, I am enjoying
every minute of it.
Old February 23rd 04, 12:46 PM
JG Lane

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:41:23 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

Plug in a AC adapter plug to turn it off (adapter unplugged)

Just the bare plug with no wire would do it, if you can find one at
radio shack.

Thanks Ron. That works a treat for using it in the office here. No
worries about batteries running down, etc.

Do you think there's a chance that this is a fixable problem, if I can
find someone who works on these?

I appreciate your help,

JG

Coax Switch To Switch One Antenna Lead Between Several HF Transceivers ? Gary Antenna 4 January 24th 05 09:21 AM
Wandering Foot Switch KØHB Dx 7 January 4th 05 06:03 PM
Wandering Foot Switch KØHB Dx 0 January 4th 05 01:02 AM
HELP: 2 meter repeater intermod problem from pager transmitters Photoman General 5 December 26th 04 08:27 PM
Address the issues, Skippy! Repost #3 Skipp would rather be back in Tahoe CB 5 July 30th 03 07:05 PM