Old February 29th 04, 09:24 PM
AC Smith

Ordered my 1102 from Liypn yesterday and had an email back within 15
minutes! In 7 to 10 days I should have my black model 1102 and I'm
quite excited from the reviews I've read.

At the price, it certainly does seem to fall into the "good first
radio" category ... it seems it has a few idiosyncrasies but at the
price/performance it has to be bumped up to overlook those.

I'm looking forward to getting my shipment from China as it is one of
the few major countries I have never received mail from (if you don't
count Taiwan, but I got mail from them when their station was "The
Voice of Free China"!)

acs
Old March 1st 04, 05:01 AM
Jim Hackett

I read nothing but positive things about the DEGEN DE105. It is by far, the
biggest piece of crap radio I own, and I own MANY.
P.S. That distinction was previously held by my Bell + Howell.

om...

Old March 1st 04, 06:58 PM
Mike S.

In article .net,
Jim Hackett wrote:

"AC Smith" wrote in message
. com...
Ordered my 1102 from Liypn yesterday and had an email back within 15
minutes! In 7 to 10 days I should have my black model 1102 and I'm
quite excited from the reviews I've read.

At the price, it certainly does seem to fall into the "good first
radio" category ... it seems it has a few idiosyncrasies but at the
price/performance it has to be bumped up to overlook those.

I'm looking forward to getting my shipment from China as it is one of
the few major countries I have never received mail from (if you don't
count Taiwan, but I got mail from them when their station was "The
Voice of Free China"!)

acs

I read nothing but positive things about the DEGEN DE105. It is by far, the
biggest piece of crap radio I own, and I own MANY.
P.S. That distinction was previously held by my Bell + Howell.

I would not say that the DE105 is worthy of glowing reviews; but for the
features it offers good value for the money ($25). For sensitivity,
selectivity, and image rejection it hasn't performed any worse than an
average single-conversion pocket radio. (Certainly better than the Tecsun
R-818 which you didn't seem to have much good to say about). For almost the
same money, you get direct-entry digital tuning and 10 memory channels per
band. It also has a lit display and good battery life.

The downsides: tinny audio, limited SW frequency coverage, synthesizer
noise.

Certainly adequate to carry in the pocket.

If you're _that_ dissatistifed with it, let me know; I can use a spare :-)
Old March 1st 04, 07:18 PM
AC Smith

"Jim Hackett" wrote in message hlink.net...
I read nothing but positive things about the DEGEN DE105. It is by far, the
biggest piece of crap radio I own, and I own MANY.
P.S. That distinction was previously held by my Bell + Howell.

I'll be sure to follow up with a little review of the "wonder radio".
I am most interested in the SSB function in a radio that is 5.6" long!

Sorry about your Degen 105.

Adam

Old March 2nd 04, 08:15 AM
CW

"tommyknocker" wrote in message
Using transistors eliminated the need for the craftsman skills that went
into building tube models, so the radios could be produced in Asia
(first Japan, then China) for much less than in America.

Not even close.

This trend has
hit all industry in America-for example, once a way to standardize beef
production was invented, the skilled butchers at the slaughterhouses
were fired and the jobs given to unskilled Mexicans working for much
less. The end result is that skilled, highly paid manual laborers have
been thrown out of work, reducing the size of the middle class.

You are quite correct about your conclusions but your examples just don't
make it.

Old March 2nd 04, 08:27 AM
CW

"Soames123" wrote in message
news:20040228203030.20529.00000680@mb- - Please note:
- This " firing of skilled workers" also reduces the size of the US pool

of "
taxable Workers" needed to support "The Government"; Sholls, Hospitals,
Street repair, Police, Firemen, etc.
And with
" The Miracle Of Offshoring"
- ANYONE sitting at a desk can have his / Her job " Offshored "
- Leaving us with an army of unemployed Professionals;
And little else..

Don't think that it is restricted to people doing desk jobs. As little as
five or six years ago, if a skilled machinist were looking for a new job, he
would have one within hours. Manufacturing in this country has declined to
the point now that he may be out of work for months. You are quite correct
that it is undercutting the tax base and as the middle class, as a whole,
support the tax base, we are going to be in a real bind shortly. When you
produce nothing and buy everything, it is like living on a credit card.
Bankruptcy is inevitable.

Old March 2nd 04, 08:40 AM
CW

I had, on numerous occasions, thought of plonking you too on the basis of
the SKT (Stupid Keyboard Tricks) you seem to feel the need to have everyone
suffer through. The only reason I haven't is the content of your messages
are often worth reading. Why do you feel the need to make people suffer to
read your writings?

"RHF" wrote in message
om...
BB,

Why Thank You.

plonk, Plonk. PLONK ! Away )

You Can't Defend Your Ideas - So You Attack the Messenger.

Translation You Lose - I Win [.]

~ RHF
.
.
= = = B Banton
= = = wrote in message

. ..

RHF - Your formatting sux so you're in the plonk bucket. Told you a
million damn times. See - everyone tellsyou - everyone hates it - but
you don't stop. So - you are borderline crazy and the border is damn
close. You just don't see it. And that's even more proof - so

``````````````poof`$%^&#())))_++++

Muhahahahahhahahahahhahahahah...

On 28 Feb 2004 12:05:06 -0800, (RHF)
wrote:

BB,

NAFTA is NAFTA -&- China is China

The two largest suppliers of Natural Resoreces to the USofA are
Canada and Mexico.

Hint: We buy more of the Natural Gas and Oil that the USofA uses
from Canada and Mexico, then from the Arabs / Middle East [.]

The Largest BUYER in the World of American Made Goods is Mexico [.]

The Largest BUYER per Capita of American Made Goods is Canada [.]

From the 1950s to 1990s the USofA Transitioned from a Manufacturing
Economy to a Service Economy. In the 1990s NAFTA "Made Sense" for
a USofA that had become a Service Economy.

Don't Blame Presidents: Bush-Clinton-Bush for NAFTA.

Blame the Congresses from the 1950s to Today - Who Passed or
Didn't Pass Laws that Benefited the Re-Investment of Capital
into the American Manufacturing Business Sector and the
Re-Training of Americans for the Jobs with a Future.

During the LBJ Great Society - Job Training Program the US
Government PAID people to Learn to become Barbers and Shoe Repairmen.
Unfortunately the US Government 'trained' Five Times the Number
of Barbers needed and Eleven Times the Number of Shoe Repairmen
that would ever be required.

Require Business to PAY the Prevailing Wage with Benefits for All
Imported Work VISA Workers. Or Pay a 100% Tax Equal to Any Savings
that is 'dedicated' for US Worker Retraining. Give US Workers and
Unions 'Standing in Court' to Challenge any Work VISA Applications
in US Courts.

Require Business to Pay 33% Tax for Five Years on Any and All
Savings from the Out-Sourcing Jobs to OverSeas/Foreign Countries.
This is a 'dedicated' Tax to Used to Fund US Worker Retraining.
Give US Workers and Unions 'Standing in Court' to Challenge any
Out-Sourcing of Jobs in US Courts.

When AMERICANS Work - America WORKS.

It Ain't 'the president(s)' - IT'S CONGRESS !

Some People May Label Me a 'republican'.
I Say I Am An "AMERICAN" - First and Foremost [.]

ssi... ~ RHF
= = = So Say I... My Opinions Stated As Facts !
.
.
= = = N8KDV
= = = wrote in message ...
B Banton wrote:

Pretty soon we'll have radios from China. Same idiot conservatives
that are buying them are screaming about NAFTA. Oh my my...!!

Just where do you think a lot of the portables are made?

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 01:10:03 GMT, Robert Beck
wrote:

I have had my DE1102 for about 2 months and finally got around to
trying SSB on it. I listened to a person from Chicago talking to
someone in California. They came in loud and clear here in North
Texas. The the more I use this radio, the more I like it. I no

longer
recommend the YB400, DX398 or the Sony 7600GR ( all of which I

own ).
I recommend the DEGEN 1102 as a great first SW radio or anyone

looking
for a portable. For the money, I think it is the best value going.

Degen 1102 arrived Sanjaya Shortwave 34 February 26th 04 02:44 AM
SSB on KAITO 1102 or DEGEN 1102 Kevin Hillegas Shortwave 1 February 6th 04 06:33 AM
review for Degen 1102 Zackie Liang Shortwave 3 January 5th 04 02:16 PM
Kaito KA1102 arrived today Michael Shortwave 9 November 22nd 03 04:31 PM
New KA1101 arrived today Michael Shortwave 0 October 21st 03 12:24 AM