Old March 11th 04, 05:06 PM
N8KDV

"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

N8KDV wrote:

I corresponded with my ISP and they said there's a lot of that stuff going around right now.

The number of viruses out recently has been incredible. I must average close to a couple dozen a day.

Many of them come to me in "bounce" messages saying mail I sent couldn't be delivered - but I'm sure none of my machines are infected.

One thing that makes it tougher to track down who has been hit is most viruses seem to pick a random name from the address book to put in as the person sending it.

Aren't the viruses prone to attack certain email systems or operating platforms?

I'm really not a computer geek.

Old March 11th 04, 05:26 PM
Diverd4777

Probably a Klez type virus, using someones address book
to spoof e-mail addresses..

In article , Alex Crow
writes:

Just a virus faking your domain info. mikewb would just be someone
unfortunate enough to be in an infected computer's address book, browser
cache, etc.

Old March 11th 04, 07:43 PM
BDK

In article ,
says...
mikewb is?

What's that???

Sheesh.

BDK
Old March 11th 04, 07:48 PM
N8KDV

BDK wrote:

In article ,
says...
mikewb is?

What's that???

What is what?

Better read the whole sentence.

Old March 11th 04, 07:52 PM
BDK

In article , diverd4777
@aol.com says...

writes:

Just a virus faking your domain info. mikewb would just be someone
unfortunate enough to be in an infected computer's address book, browser
cache, etc.

Most have been the Beagle virus, but there's always an oddball one
floating around and there will soon be variants, if not already.

The people who open the file have been lucky for the most part. Nobody I
have talked to has had any major damage. One guy's internet connection
number was changed to something in Taiwan, I think it was,might have
been Singapore, can't remember. I can't believe they(Spoofed virus
creators) went through all the hassle of doing it for just something
mildly annoying like that.

I wonder if it's a "dry run" for something really nasty. Most of the
ones I've heard about so far make a ton of popups, change dialup numbers
and homepages, stupid stuff like that. I guess we'll find out one of
these days..

Aren't PC's fun??

BDK
Old March 11th 04, 08:00 PM
Mark S. Holden

N8KDV wrote:

Aren't the viruses prone to attack certain email systems or operating platforms?

I'm really not a computer geek.

Most viruses go after Windoze, and almsot all look for Outlook or Outlook Express address books. Some also look for address books for other popular email programs.

Some just scan the hard drive looking for collections of email addresses, so everyone in your newsreader file can get a copy.

This is one reason why when I get those chain email hoaxes (email tracking, Little Tommy Smith has cancer of the ovaries...) I contact the sender and ask them to never send me another one again.

Mailwasher is a good way of avoiding viruses - I use it on all of my machines that check email, and delete stuff I don't want before it gets downloaded.
Old March 11th 04, 08:24 PM
Michael Bryant

It's not me, Steve. I received a similar piece of email several days ago. I
deleted it without opening it.

Michael Bryant, WA4009SWL
Louisville, KY
R75, S800, RX320, SW77, ICF2010K,
DX398, 7600G, 6800W, RF2200, 7600A
GE SRll, Pro-2006, Pro-2010, Pro-76
(remove "nojunk" to reply)
Old March 11th 04, 08:28 PM
DxAce

Michael Bryant wrote:

It's not me, Steve. I received a similar piece of email several days ago. I
deleted it without opening it.

I did not say it was you Retard Boy... if you'd read the thread I indicated
whose mailbox was compromised...

READ... COMPREHEND...