Old March 20th 04, 03:54 AM
S R

Default Satellite Shortave

I was wondering because of all of the trouble picking up signals with the
natural environment were in, could it be possible that satellites shortwave
satellites solved this problem? While still being a wireless radio signal?

About a year ago I thought about XM radio. And I thought to myself if it
would ever carry shortwave stations?
And their is the Internet way to access radio? But it is not as fun
listening to radio through the Internet. You have to start up your PC, the
log on, then search for what you want to hear and it might not be live.

I guess for a city person as myself, I dream to someday live up on a
mountain and have the whole horizon to listen to.

73

Old March 20th 04, 04:12 AM
Paul_Morphy

"S R" wrote in message

I guess for a city person as myself, I dream to someday live up on a
mountain and have the whole horizon to listen to.

Yes, the bug has bitten deep into you, and it will never let go. After
almost 50 years I just can't stay away from the SW bands. Part of the bug's
venom is the thrill of digging a signal out of the fading, noise and
clutter, and the days when some distant station you never heard before
suddenly shows up in the passband. Satellite broadcasting brings you the
content, but not the medium. For most die-hard SWLs, the medium is the
attraction; the content is only the reward at the end of the journey. Better
equipment and listening locations will only benefit those who take time to
learn the patience and skills. For them, the view from the top is
breathtaking, because they participated in the climb. Satellite listening is
less exciting than watching someone reading a newspaper.

"PM"

Old March 20th 04, 04:12 AM
J999w

If you've got room for a C band satellite dish, you can pick up some shortwave
programming. If I recall correctly, since I haven't had the rig on for a
month, you can listen to RAI (Italy), DW (Germany), VOA, R. Marti, R. Sawa (all
USA).

A smaller Ku band dish may present similar results, but I don't have a Ku band
feed horn yet.

Even better is all the foreign TV signals you can pick up .... F R E E .

jw
wb9uai
Old March 20th 04, 05:40 AM
Erik Chait

I'm glad there is more people like me out there. I will eventually get
satellite radio for my car, but I will always prefer shortwave radio.

Erik

Old March 20th 04, 11:28 AM
Paul_Morphy

"NDeveau" wrote in message

Could someone direct me to some information on how to recieve these C and

KU
band signals. ie: harware and frequency info. (satellite for dummies)

http://www.google.com Search for 'c band satellite' and 'ku band satellite.'

"PM"

Old March 20th 04, 11:29 AM
WG

I have short-wave in my car and on a recent trip through the mountains I
lost all the local stations so some quick tuning first to the 20 meter ham
band for a listen then to the VOA and it carried me through a long nights
drive. 9 hours in total darkness the week before Christmas. Have the best of
all worlds and go with SW in the car and a good antenna.

Old March 20th 04, 02:30 PM
Jim Douglas

Interesting! My son recently purchased stock in the satellite radio cause
there seems to be a sense
that the FCC won't be monitoring and enforcing their rules there. Could it
be that all the noise about
FCC enforcement would cause XM to become the next FM? Is FM going the way of
AM?

My question, who has satellite radio? What are the costs involved? Is it
worth it?

Old March 20th 04, 03:20 PM
David

You can get a complete XM setup for 12 Volts for $113.. It has a
cassette adapter and a line-out jack that plugs into any AUX input.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....type=pr oduct

You can get a complete Sirius system for $50 right now.

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1077744929995

Use this email address as your ''friend'':

"Clayton Joseph"

XM has really good music and really mediocre News and Talk.

Sirius has terrible music but really good News and Talk, including
World Radio Network (the future of International Broadcasting).

I still like to DX on my shortwaves, but for content the satellite
radio is richer.

Old March 20th 04, 03:59 PM
John Jenkins

Because of the cost of satellites, and the fact that they must be overhead,
they will not take the place of shortwave for a long time. Satellite receivers,
even though they are very small, are costly. But, here in north america you
can try XM or Sirrius. They have lots of channels. Not exactly the variety
of shortwave radio though.