Old March 24th 04, 04:14 PM
David

Well then you are willing to be dishonest and to violate the law.

On 23 Mar 2004 21:39:14 -0800, (Mark Keith) wrote:

starman wrote in message ...

The BPL industry has already thought of the possibility that ham's might
try to jam the BPL system. They could enact legislation to make it
illegal to intentionally interfere with it. Enforcement might include
fines or even canceling the license of an offending ham' and
confiscating his equipment. It could get really nasty.

I don't care. All I have to do is actually talk to someone while I'm
doing it.
They could never prove I was actually jamming them, unless I said so.
If they jam *me* with their noisy BPL, yes, it could get really nasty.

The BPL carrier should be more worried about what the fcc thought of
their excessive radiation, than I should be of operating normally...
I wouldn't be doing anything I don't already do now. If I point in
nearly any direction, I'm aiming at power lines at various distances.
If I'm pointing NE-E-SE, I'm pounding the crap out of them, being they
are running along the rear property line. Even with just 100w. I
wouldn't even need my amp, if I was on the yagi. To sum...The BPL ops
can suck eggs. They better run a clean ship if they start that crap
around here. Otherwise I will consider it my duty to be a pain in
their rears. But, on the plus side, here in the fat city, RR cable
access , DSL, etc, etc are all readily available. This area is wired
for RR cable internet along with the TV, and it's fairly popular I
think. Maybe that will stave off the encroach of BPL a little here.
Maybe not though... MK

Old March 24th 04, 06:03 PM
Frank Dresser

"David" wrote in message
Well then you are willing to be dishonest and to violate the law.

Don't think the BPL companies won't violate the law, though. I expect their
first counterpunch in the interference war will be increasing the power of
the BPL carriers in the ham bands.

Then the PR campaign starts. Every couple of weeks, or so, a newsletter
would be sent to the subscribers explaining that HAMS AND CB'ERS are
attempting to interfere with their internet access. What to do? Write a
letter to your congressman. Write a letter to your senator. Write a letter
to the FCC. HAMS AND CB'ERS ARE THREATENING YOUR CHOICE OF INTERNET
ACCESS!! When things get nasty, instructions will be included on how to
recognize a ham callsign. .

I'm sure a trained propagandist/PR guy could come up with much, much more.

This fight won't be setteled in BPL neighborhoods, but in Washington. Hiram
Percy Maxim is gone, but Billy Tauzin is becoming a lobbyist. Can the hams
afford his services?

Frank Dresser

Old March 24th 04, 10:25 PM
JJ

starman wrote:

The BPL industry has already thought of the possibility that ham's might
try to jam the BPL system. They could enact legislation to make it
illegal to intentionally interfere with it. Enforcement might include
fines or even canceling the license of an offending ham' and
confiscating his equipment. It could get really nasty.

All I have to do is engage in a contact on the ham bands as my license
allows me to legally do, there is no "intention" of jamming BPL, it just
happens and they would have a hard time trying to prove I had an intent
to jam BPL. Unless they get the part 15 rules changed for BPL (and don't
rule that out either), they don't have a leg to stand on.

Old March 24th 04, 10:27 PM
JJ

David wrote:

That's already illegal.

You are only allowed to emit for communications or brief testing.
You are only allowed to use sufficient power to accomplish a reliable
communication.

Part 15 devices must accept *any* interference. Look at the part 15
sticker on some of your gadgets.

Old March 24th 04, 10:30 PM
JJ

Frank Dresser wrote:

"David" wrote in message

[...]

Well, if they really want to fight dirty, the hams can also. Mobil units
can cruse neighborhoods and cause havoc with BPL and it would be very
hard to pin down the hams doing it.

Old March 25th 04, 02:51 AM
DrPostman

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 19:29:56 GMT, Occasional AB Listener
wrote:

Tonight (March 20, 2004), at 10:05 Pacific Time on "Coast to Coast A.M,"
late-night radio talk-show host Art Bell is going to take a breather
from the customary paranormal and conspiracy-related format and discuss
a topic that will interest most -- if not all -- radio amateurs,
shortwave radio enthusiasts and broadband users: Broadband Power Lines
(BPLs).

Now under development, BPL is a technology that will allow computer
users to access high-speed, broadband Internet connections just by
plugging the computer into the wall outlet. No need to pay hundreds of
dollars in installation, activation/deactivation and service fees for
Digital Subscriber Lines (DSL) or cable modems, just literally plug and
play.

You can already do this in your own home. The Screen Savers did
a segment on this just last week:
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/p...645563,00.html

The big issue is going to be security.

--
Dr.Postman USPS, MBMC, BsD; "Disgruntled, But Unarmed"
Member,Board of Directors of afa-b, SKEP-TI-CULT® member #15-51506-253.

"Carl, you can lead a kook to wisdom, but you can't make him learn"
- Irony Alert
Old March 25th 04, 07:49 PM
Frank Dresser

"JJ" wrote in message

Well, if they really want to fight dirty, the hams can also. Mobil units
can cruse neighborhoods and cause havoc with BPL and it would be very
hard to pin down the hams doing it.

That uncertainty might cut two ways. I think BPL is going to act flaky
enough as it is. But, if there are suspected cases of ham interference,
than all cases of flaky BPL operation can be made to look like suspected ham
interference. Who will the BPL customers call when they get poor
connections? BPL tech support, of course. And don't think BPL tech support
will say they have built a poorly concieved system for delivering high speed
internet access.

"Our system uses amazing high tech breakthroughs, has been tested in many
sites, and works perfectly! But, are there any cranky old CBers or hams
around? They've been known to try to interfere with YOUR internet access.
The internet access the Congress and FCC says you have a right to. We can't
stop them from interfering from your right to high speed access, only
Congress and the FCC can."

As I said, I think BPL will be flaky. The BPL companies will hardly point
the finger at themselves. I'm sure they would love to shift the blame for
their crummy system. Why not let the hams be the fall guys?

Frank Dresser