Old March 29th 04, 03:55 AM
Brian Hill

Default DEGEN DE1102 - I give up. I just don't get it

"Overwelmed by Stupidity" wrote in message
Why is it that people seem to expect the DE1102 to sound as good or
better than a radio with a speaker two or three times as large. My
sarcastic response is met with agreement! People seem to think that it
is perfectly valid to expect a radio with a 1 inch speaker to sound as
good as a 10 inch speaker. The name I post my response with is ignored
/ overlooked completly. What planet do you people live on.

I agree. speaker a fidelity is one of the most important parts of good
listening. Good audio means less fatigue.

Old March 29th 04, 04:40 AM
Dan

In article ,
Overwelmed by Stupidity wrote:

Why is it that people seem to expect the DE1102 to sound as good or
better than a radio with a speaker two or three times as large. My
sarcastic response is met with agreement! People seem to think that it
is perfectly valid to expect a radio with a 1 inch speaker to sound as
good as a 10 inch speaker. The name I post my response with is ignored
/ overlooked completly. What planet do you people live on.

Well, first of all, it's a 2 inch speaker, not a 1 inch. That makes a
big difference.

Again, my 1102 sounds fine to me for SWL and MW DXing. It's a little
tinny on FM, but the bass boost helps there. It's much better thru
headphones.

For traveling it can't be beat, IMO. FM, MW, SW, SSB, easy to use,
sensitive, easy on batteries, recharge in the radio, small and light,
cheap. For me, a great combination!

Sarcasm is sometimes hard to pick up here. Why don't you try just
posting your actual opinion on the subject?

Dan

Drake R8, Grundig Satellit 650
Radio Shack DX-440, Grundig YB400
Tecsun PL-230 (YB550PE), Kaito KA1102
Hallicraters S-120 (1962)
Zenith black dial 5 tube Tombstone (1936)
E. H. Scott 23 tube Imperial Allwave in Tasman cabinet (1935)
Old March 29th 04, 04:57 AM
B Banton

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 22:40:57 -0500, Dan wrote:

For traveling it can't be beat, IMO.

MUhahahahahahhahah.

Old March 29th 04, 06:33 AM
ac-acadaptor

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think it's worth the $50 they can
be had for. I've heard several people says it's as good as the ATS-909.
These people obviously don't own one. I do. There is NO comparison. I will
agree that it is probably the best SSB capable radio for the price.
Personally, I don't feel that's saying much. It has NO competition...

Old March 29th 04, 07:18 PM
Corbin Ray

Wondering if a radio is "as good" as another radio, so many factors must be
taken into account. How much money the user has to spend on a radio or on
batteries, whether listening will be through the radio's speaker or through
headphones, how much desk space or suitcase space is available for the
radio, if the radio is used in daylight or dark.. the list goes on.

For someone who has less than $100 to spend, I think the 1102 would be the
only radio to consider.

I have many radios. But the only way I would say that my DX398 is a better
radio than my 1102 would be if I was trying to justify its cost. Right now,
my 1102 is my workhorse radio. My 398 is sitting under my computer. If the
batteries run down on my 1102 some night while I'm listening to Coast to
Coast, I'll pull out my 398 and finish the night on it, and recharge the
1102 the next morning.

Old March 30th 04, 02:12 AM
Overwelmed by Stupidity

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 05:27:41 GMT, "ac-acadaptor"
wrote:

Maybe you are "overwhelmed by people who are being facetious"

You may be correct. Judging by the responses to this post it either
went over their heads or I didn't "get" their response.

PS. I have a DE1102 and think that for the price it's an excellent
value. I would however not compare it to the 7600GR or the 909 ( both
of which I own) let alone an R-75 or a Drake R8B.

.. .

Degen DE1102 questions gil Shortwave 19 March 26th 04 02:36 AM
Degen 1102 arrived today!!!!! Corbin Ray Shortwave 47 March 2nd 04 08:40 AM
Degen DE1102 SSB Sanjaya Shortwave 0 February 8th 04 06:38 PM
() Degen shortwave radios from China Daniel Rosenzweig Shortwave 7 August 5th 03 10:51 AM