Old May 7th 04, 07:22 AM
Telamon

In article ,
Tom Betz wrote:

Quoth "John Lyder" in
:

Dam Commie's, Good for them !

What's Communist about Air America? I've listnened to them. They
sound like real patriots to me.

http://drudgereport.com/flash5.htm

Typically information-free Drudge.

Here's the whole Tribune story so far:

Air America Radio chief resigns By John Cook Tribune staff reporter

May 6, 2004, 6:01 PM CDT

In yet another sign of trouble for Air America Radio, the liberal
talk network entering its fifth chaotic week on the air, co-founder
and chairman Evan Cohen resigned Thursday, as did vice-chairman and
investor Rex Sorensen.

The company also failed to make its scheduled payroll Wednesday,
leaving its staff roughly 100 radio personalities, writers, and
producers unpaid until Thursday.

"We're on a wild ride," said Jon Sinton, the network's president,
acknowledging that Air America has suffered "the typical bumps and
bruises faced by any start-up."

"But the bottom line," he said, "is that we are on the air to stay."

The departures of Cohen, a former Republican political operative from
Guam who was among the network's initial investors, and Sorenson, an
investor who owns radio stations in Guam, mark the second executive
shake-up at the fledgling network in as many weeks. Last week,
co-founder and CEO Mark Walsh resigned (he remains a senior adviser
to the network) and programming chief Dave Logan was forced out.

Replacements for Walsh and Cohen have yet to be named. Asked when
those executive positions would be filled, Sinton replied: "I
wouldn't hold my breath."

=======

Sounds like a start-up company having cashflow trouble. Also sounds
like their staff needs trimming by about 3/4. But it doesn't sound
Communist.

Not working for pay sounds communist to me.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 7th 04, 07:36 AM
m II

Telamon wrote:

Sounds like a start-up company having cashflow trouble. Also sounds
like their staff needs trimming by about 3/4. But it doesn't sound
Communist.

Not working for pay sounds communist to me.

The real communist credo was 'working for NO pay'. Those *******s ruined
the lives of countless millions..that's if they didn't kill them outright.

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/MEGA.HTM

mike
Old May 7th 04, 12:56 PM
Larry Ozarow

m II wrote:

The real communist credo was 'working for NO pay'. Those *******s ruined
the lives of countless millions..that's if they didn't kill them outright.

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/MEGA.HTM

mike

Or as the old Soviet joke went, "We pretend to work,
and they pretend to pay us."
Old May 7th 04, 01:50 PM
Mark S. Holden

John Lyder wrote:

Dam Commie's, Good for them ! http://drudgereport.com/flash5.htm

It looks like the backers decided it's not going to make it and bailed
to avoid tossing good money after bad.

They might last to the election, but I wouldn't bet on it unless they
find ways to cut costs dramatically. Since it's not a defense program,
I think that's unlikely.

Old May 7th 04, 04:04 PM
m II

Larry Ozarow wrote:

Or as the old Soviet joke went, "We pretend to work,
and they pretend to pay us."

So true. I remember a couple..

A Russian is explaining the the difference in systems to a Westerner.

He explains "In the Capitalist West, you see, it's a dog eat dog
scenario, whereas HERE, it's exactly the OTHER way around."

There was a car race in which there was only an American car and a
communist Russian car competing. The propaganda was important for both
countries. The race was run, with the Americans winning. In the Russian
newspapers the next morning, the headline read "Russian car finishes
second from first, American finishes second from LAST!"

...and it was still 'pravda'

mike
Old May 7th 04, 04:12 PM
David

And who are these conservative broadcasters you're talking about?

There are a lot of extreme-right-wing wack jobs claiming to be
conservative but they are lying (about everything). They are the most
bitter and humorless collection of pathetic yakes I have ever seen.
It's like somebody found a piece of Joe Pyne and cloned him.

Like most start-ups in the media, I suggest you enjoy AAR while you
can. If you really want a leftie to fear, I suggest you check out Ed
Schultz.

On Fri, 7 May 2004 01:07:01 -0400, "T. Early"
wrote:

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
. 70...

Sounds like a start-up company having cashflow trouble. Also sounds

like
their staff needs trimming by about 3/4. But it doesn't sound

Communist.

I can't agree with the start-up analogy. They are hardly a bunch of
people who started in a garage with a dream and found themselves in
over their heads before working out the angles. They had a
considerable period of time to scope out this entire concept, get
people on board who knew what they were doing, and apply rational
business principles before beginning the entire operation. Apparently
they did not. The people behind it should have known better -before-
getting their feet wet. The fact that they are having this much
trouble this early on bodes badly because it calls into question the
initial knowledge behind the entire enterprise.

Frankly, I initially wrote off the carping from some conservative
broadcasters as sour grapes, but it's sure beginning to look like
they were right.

Old May 7th 04, 05:08 PM
Lenny

"David" wrote in message
And who are these conservative broadcasters you're talking about?

There are a lot of extreme-right-wing wack jobs claiming to be
conservative but they are lying (about everything). They are the

most
bitter and humorless collection of pathetic yakes I have ever seen.
It's like somebody found a piece of Joe Pyne and cloned him.

I really wasn't making a comment on the "believability" of these
guys--only that some of the predicitons I'd heard about Air America,
and originally discounted, seem to be coming true.

But since you brought it up, and having read some of your "thoughts"
on the issues, I bow to your greater experience with bitterness and
humorlessness.

Voice of America used to emanate from Dixon Mike Terry Broadcasting 8 December 13th 10 09:51 PM
Shakeup At Air America Radio: CEO and Program Director Out Mike Terry Shortwave 12 April 29th 04 02:56 AM
Air America N8KDV Shortwave 6 April 28th 04 08:53 PM
Air America - where every flight crashes Stephen M.H. Lawrence Shortwave 4 April 15th 04 04:20 AM
Fwd: R Prague A 04 Summer Schedule WA4009SWL Shortwave 1 March 18th 04 07:32 PM