Old May 14th 04, 09:00 PM
Tony Adams

Default Grundig FR200

Greetings,
I'm in the market for something like the Grundig FR200. My initial need
is for something to take this summer on an extended camping trip. I
definitely want something that does not rely on batteries, and the
addition of a light is a nice bonus.

I did find positive opinions of this unit on this newsgroup via Google's
archive. If you have one or chose an alternative, I'm wondering a few
things:

If you got something else to serve a similar purpose, are you happy with
your choice? What did you get?

If you've been using the Grundig FR200, has it met your expectations?

Is there something else I should be considering? I like to spend
something around the price of the Grundig ($40?) or less. Size and
weight are issues of course, as is reliability in the field and the
above-mentioned battery free operation.

Thanks
Old May 15th 04, 12:09 AM
Mojo

I have an FR-200 and have been happy with it. My expectations were
admittedly low, but the radio exceeded them by a good bit. Reception is on
all bands is much better than I would have expected for the price. Since
the shortwave coverage is fairly wide, and split into just two scales,
tuning it takes a little practice. You'll get the hang of it, though.

The FR-200's generator and rechargeable battery work well, and battery life
from conventional alkaline AA cells is good, too. I've used it an hour or
two daily for over a year, alternating between the two power sources, and
have yet to change the disposable batteries. The built-in light could be
handy, but keep in mind it will drain the batteries more rapidly than the
radio does.

The only alternative I can think of that is similar in price, and meets your
criteria, is Kaito's KA007. Its shortwave coverage is not quite as wide,
and has no built-in light. It does include weather band, however, and also
has a solar panel for recharging. I've never tried one out, so I can't say
how well it works. I'd say go for the Grundig. Sounds like it would serve
you well.

Hope this helps.

Old May 15th 04, 12:22 AM
Jim Hackett

I have both the KA-007 and the FR-200. The Kaito is prone to images and
nowhere near as enjoyable as the Grundig. The Grundig comes to life on a
length of wire. The Kaito overloads severely....

Old May 15th 04, 04:30 AM
WShoots1

Tony: If you've been using the Grundig FR200, has it met your expectations?

The FR200 has strong images on SW, which surprised me. I have cheaper radios
that don't. The good news is that the image may be in the clear whereas the
fundamental signal may not be. G

There's a little backlash in the tuning, but the fine tuning feature sort of
makes up for it. One can surf the band easily with course tune and then peak on
a desired signal.

It's worth having, though.

I also have a $20 Sonnet R-3582. I works okay, but it's generator-rechargeable
battery system is something else. One minute of cranking only gives three
minutes of operation. LOL The clue is that the rechargeables are AA's, whereas
the alkalines are D's. G (I have no idea why D's are needed.) I suppose
higher capacity AA's would help some, maybe. The generator current output may
not be enough to provide more operating time per cranking time.

Bill, K5BY
Old May 15th 04, 07:28 AM
GO BEARCATS

I have both the KA-007 and the FR-200. The Kaito is prone to images and
nowhere near as enjoyable as the Grundig.

The Kaito (if I remember right) is the piece that Stair piches on his 'show.'
Originally it was for a *Love Gift* for $80.00, I heard him today and he said
that he has decided to lower the price of the love gift for the radio to just
$60.00

How much does this radio cost, he says "It is a *fabulous* radio and picks up
'everything.'

I wonder what 'everything' is?

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/*SUPER*398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+Howell
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
500ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Long-Wire
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*
~OptimusCTR-111Cassettte Recorder~
~Radio Shack 2Speed VOX#43-476~
~Ramsey Speech Scrambler~

Old May 16th 04, 05:28 PM
Tony Adams

"Mojo" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks everyone for your advice. I ordered the Grundig yesterday from
REI.com ($39.95 - free shipping to a "local" store).

Old May 18th 04, 06:25 AM
JLB

I bought one just a couple of week ago and I am very happy with it.
For $40, how could you go wrong?

The built in light is not very strong, but what the hell, if I wanted a
bright light I should have bought a flashlight.

I mainly bought this because I like to go camping, and I didn't want to go
broke feeding it batteries. After 1 or 1 1/2 min of cranking, I get 1 to 1
1/2 hours of listening ( med to low volume)

the reception is pretty good. But I wish it had and external antenna input

all in all I think it's pretty good

Nitrotear
[...]

Serious Grundig FR200 Problem WShoots1 Shortwave 15 March 12th 04 11:19 PM
YB400PE [email protected] Shortwave 7 February 5th 04 12:34 PM
Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Radios that are offered World Wide under the Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Brand Name RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:23 PM
Grundig Satellit 900 -=V=- Eton E1 XM Radio RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:14 PM