Old June 26th 04, 02:06 AM
Michael Bryant

Default Help w/ UNID on 17650 at 0415

Anyone have an idea who's the broadcaster on 17650 at 0415 UTC? The signal was
pretty good. Service was in French. Male with multiple IDs for R. Nacional, but
no clear mention of a country.

Any ideas?

Michael Bryant, WA4009SWL
Louisville, KY
R75, S800, RX320, SW77, ICF2010K,
DX398, 7600G, 6800W, RF2200, 7600A
GE SRll, Pro-2006, Pro-2010, Pro-76
(remove "nojunk" to reply)
Old June 26th 04, 10:18 AM
dxAce

Michael Bryant wrote:

Anyone have an idea who's the broadcaster on 17650 at 0415 UTC? The signal was
pretty good. Service was in French. Male with multiple IDs for R. Nacional, but
no clear mention of a country.

Any ideas?

Sure, take a bit more time with the station! From your logs you don't seem to take
much time trying to figure out who's who.

Here's the example:

17600 0412 ISRAEL, KI-Tel Aviv. YL w/ wx for Iraeli cities, ID. Good.

17650 0415 ??? OM in French, multiple IDs for R. Nacional in French. Good.

17670 0417 SRI LANKA, RF Afgh-Irana Wila. 2OM in Dari. Fair, but very clear.

Best thing to do is park on 17650 for a while and try to figure it out... I know
that might be difficult for you (given your short attention span), but give it a
try!

You might just become a dxAce!

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old June 27th 04, 01:28 AM
Michael Bryant

From: (LW)

(Michael Bryant) wrote ...

Anyone have an idea who's the broadcaster on 17650 at 0415 UTC?

Ok Professor, let's take it to 'em.

How long did you listen to the broadcast? From your past experience
in SWL, did you give it time to arrive at a useable identification?

Gotta allow for fairness here. The professor strikes me as a good
candidate for "dxace" already. Other issues aside, he does pull in
some good catches.
"Iff'n he hadda hunnert foota wahr uppa good'n tall tree" he'd
probably out-do us all.

I will admit that my listening habits are unconventional. I don't have a lot of
time to dedicate to DXing and my present location makes a hundred foot antenna
impossible. SW programming and news seems pretty boring, though I do enjoy
exotic music.

The thing I seem to be most interested in, right now, is detecting when
propagation conditions allow late night reception on higher frequencies. For
example, around 0400 UTC, I'm able to pick up broadcasts from Asia/Oceania,
along with Middle East and South Asian broadcasts. Timing of these openings
seem to slowly shift with conditions and seasons. I just like to see what stuff
is coming through on 13-21 MHz. I'm not listening to send reception reports. I
want to quickly identify a station and move on to see what's coming through in
the rest of the band.

When I run across a station I can't identify, I'll leave a receiver parked on
that one, trying to ID that one, while looking across the band with other
receivers seeing what else is popping up at that specific time. Multi-tasking,
including quick log notations.

In terms of the broadcaster on 17650, I probably spent about 20 minutes trying
to ID the station. The male speaker was clearly speaking French, possibly w/
slight Afro-accent, and made serveral references to Nacional Radio or Radio
Nacional. I checked Passport, ILG, HFCC, and EiBi and can't seem to identify a
likely candidatebroadcaster. Though the signal strength was good, it wasn't
there last night.

Just though I'd ask. I probably shouldn't have bothered. Enjoy the Profit, LW!

Old June 27th 04, 02:29 AM
dxAce

From: (LW)

(Michael Bryant) wrote ...

[...]

The higher frequencies will propagate much better over the pole at night this time
of year. If one looks at a grey line map, the distance to daylight is never very
far away to the north and the higher frequencies after propagating through the
daylight will many times 'punch through' the very short darkness path.

Old June 27th 04, 09:43 PM
LW

dxAce wrote ...

Other 'issues' would indicate that he's a liar and a fabricator.

Actually I was thinking of our political differences. We're still
hoping to rescue the professor from being a liberal democrat. Maybe
we can wise him up in time for the election. Well we can hope, can't
we.

Michael W. Bryant is a known liar and fabricator.

Well we did challenge him to contact city hall at Benton, Arkansas and
INSIST on speaking with a Mr. Dan Harmon, Esq. We were hoping that
the professor could get some first hand insights on the "Mena
incident". We regret taht he declined our challenge.

I rather doubt that, though you are free to believe what you want to
believe.

Oh I'm guessing that Professor Bryant could achieve some pretty good
catches with his existing herd of radios if he could feed 'em some
serious wire. If not a dxace, at least he could attain the status of
dx-deuce, maybe.

Bush-Cheney 04
Rumsfeld-Rice 08
Old June 27th 04, 09:51 PM
dxAce

LW wrote:

[...]

Let us hope that the blind boy will break out of his trance.

Old June 27th 04, 09:54 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

LW wrote:

[...]

Oh yeah, Vietnam Veterans against John F'ing Kerry.

UNID signal 1.775.5 USB UJ Shortwave 0 June 4th 04 04:19 AM
MilAir Monitoring from KeyWest - Lots of Comms! GeorgeF Scanner 1 May 13th 04 09:37 PM
Unid signal Tom Sevart Scanner 1 November 12th 03 09:36 PM
North-Central Florida Mil Logs 9/3/2003 GeorgeF Scanner 0 September 4th 03 01:15 AM
Spanish UNID on 6956 starman Shortwave 3 August 11th 03 11:52 PM