Old August 16th 04, 07:24 PM
4nradio

Default Loggings on 3315 kHz

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 3315, 0838-1201*, R. Manus Aug 16 Weak, watery audio first
noted 0838 with male in unidentified language. Announcements and probable
news heard at 0900, and language was definitely Pidgin. Signal continued
weak to 1045 when it improved to fair, and was good by 1100 log drums and
into news items again. Melanesian music (some quite primative sounding)
heard from 1115 to 1145 at a good level, with male announcer in Pidgin
mentioning New Guinea occasionally. Old bluegrass gospel tunes and more PNG
native music to sign-off announcements at 1159, with mentions of Papua New
Guinea, frequency, program, and two IDs as 'Maus Bilong Chauka' 1159 and
1200. Sign-off was at 1201 with the PNG national anthem and the call of the
Bird of Paradise. Though I reviewed my recording, I could not find any
mention of 'R. Manus' or 'Lorengau'. However, the 'Maus Bilong Chauka' ID
matches that shown in the WRTH. After R. Manus sign-off, a weak signal in
English was revealed on 3315. I first thought of AIR Bhopal, but a check of
Geoclock showed that 1200 is 1-1/2 hours before Bhopal SS; possibly Laos?
See separate logging. (Atkins-WA)

UNIDENTIFIED 3315, 1202-1215, Aug 16 While reviewing a recording of R.
Manus, I discovered a weak signal of a male announcer in English that had
been lurking beneath the PNG station. After Manus signed off at 1201 this
unidentified station was in the clear, but very weak. The programming was a
newscast read by a male announcer, with mentions of 'Southeast Asia',
'Indonesia' and (most interestingly) a clear 'National Radio' at 1204:30.
After a long pause, the announcer began what sounded like a commentary that
continued until the end of my recording at 1215. The last five minutes were
covered by a strong utility transmission, which is unfortunate because the
unid voice station was getting stronger. In last year's DXing.info article
titled Broadcasting In Laos (http://www.dxing.info/articles/laos.dx), Bob
Padula mentioned 'A fourth transmitter is registered, with 1 kW, on 3315,
0100-1800, again for Laos, but not heard recently.' Could this unid be Lao
National Radio? 1200 UTC is just past sunset in Vientienne, and a half-hour
before my local sunrise. (Atkins-WA)

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
Modified RA6790GM & R75
Kiwa MAP / ERGO / DSP-59+
450 & 700 ft. Beverage Antennas

Old August 16th 04, 08:06 PM
4nradio

Hans Johnson of Cumbre DX made a good comment that perhaps my unid. was
Manus relaying 4890 Port Moresby after their local sign-off. The odd part is
the change from a good-to-very-good level of Manus at sign-off, to the
barely readable audio, down in the noise. I'll have to check again tomorrow
for 3315 post-1200 and see if it's parallel 4890. The Manus carrier dropped
immediately at 1201 after the NA... perhaps they didn't pull the plug out
*all* the way g

Guy

Old August 18th 04, 11:59 AM
dxAce

4nradio wrote:

Hans Johnson of Cumbre DX made a good comment that perhaps my unid. was
Manus relaying 4890 Port Moresby after their local sign-off. The odd part is
the change from a good-to-very-good level of Manus at sign-off, to the
barely readable audio, down in the noise. I'll have to check again tomorrow
for 3315 post-1200 and see if it's parallel 4890. The Manus carrier dropped
immediately at 1201 after the NA... perhaps they didn't pull the plug out
*all* the way g

I see where you posted on HardCoreDx that Hans was indeed correct. That's
interesting that Manus continues on after 1201 relaying NBC. Something to
remember for the upcoming season.

I just wonder if this is a permanent thing, or simply temporary for some reason
or another? I also wonder how long they continue to transmit?

dxAce

Old August 18th 04, 07:44 PM
4nradio

Hans is correct-- Manus has been relaying the NBC network feed on their 3315
frequency. It's at extremely low level, though. Radio Manus was in at a good
level again this morning but after their 1201 national anthem, birdcall, and
sign-off, they continued with NBC news and music in parallel to 4890 (no
discernable delay). The NBC signal on 3315 is so very weak, however, I'd be
surprised if it is audible on the East Coast of the USA. I could barely hear
it with my Beverage antenna aimed down-the-barrel at Papua New Guinea.

Guy

Old August 18th 04, 07:44 PM
4nradio

Sunrise isn't until 1311+ these days at my location, so I'll try to remember
to see how late the weak NBC relay stays on. I'll be at a Grayland WA
DXpedition Thursday through Sunday, so that will be an even better location
than home to monitor it from.

Guy

Old August 19th 04, 01:04 PM
dxAce

4nradio wrote:

Hans is correct-- Manus has been relaying the NBC network feed on their 3315
frequency. It's at extremely low level, though. Radio Manus was in at a good
level again this morning but after their 1201 national anthem, birdcall, and
sign-off, they continued with NBC news and music in parallel to 4890 (no
discernable delay). The NBC signal on 3315 is so very weak, however, I'd be
surprised if it is audible on the East Coast of the USA. I could barely hear
it with my Beverage antenna aimed down-the-barrel at Papua New Guinea.

I can still hear a het on 3315 here at 1203 but I have no way of knowing whether
it is Manus or Bhopal.

dxAce
Michigan

Old August 19th 04, 01:17 PM
dxAce

4nradio wrote:

Hans is correct-- Manus has been relaying the NBC network feed on their 3315
frequency. It's at extremely low level, though. Radio Manus was in at a good
level again this morning but after their 1201 national anthem, birdcall, and
sign-off, they continued with NBC news and music in parallel to 4890 (no
discernable delay). The NBC signal on 3315 is so very weak, however, I'd be
surprised if it is audible on the East Coast of the USA. I could barely hear
it with my Beverage antenna aimed down-the-barrel at Papua New Guinea.

I can still hear a het on 3315 here at 1203 but I have no way of knowing whether
it is Manus or Bhopal.

Though I would certainly suspect it is Manus as sunset is still quite a ways from
Bhopal.

dxAce
Michigan