Old September 5th 04, 02:48 PM
DesignGuy

"Stereophile22" wrote in message
I vaguely recall one called "Communications World".

That vaguely seems to sound familiar to me. I think that was probably it.

That
that was probably the one I read regularly before "Popular Communications"

ever
came along.

I remember having one around 1976-1978, when I first got interested in
SWL'ing.

Old September 5th 04, 03:26 PM
Don Jankura

The Shortwave Guide from Lawrence J. Miller Publishing was a favorite of
mine in the 1980's. Larry Magne did some nice receiver reviews.

Don

Old September 7th 04, 07:59 AM
byrnefm

I would like to see a copy of Shortwave Magazine though. Any comments on
that one?

I buy Shortwave Magazine each month (I live in Ireland, so the content
is pretty relevant). As you might guess, it is very UK-oriented (eg.
reception logs) but it does have good general articles, too. It has
regulars like what's happening on SW in the different continents, both
about radio and TV (under the columns 'Bandscan region' and
regularly features transmitters of interest in the UK and occasionally
Ireland. There are also other articles each month of interest to the
radio amateur reader. While it's called 'SWM', it does cover more
than the 0-30MHz spectrum, for example, it also has articles relating
to the air band.

I buy my copy from a newsagents (it sells for €5.80 = US$6.90 at the
moment, rate of sterling dependent), their subscription rates seem to
be pretty reasonable as far as magazines go, probably because it's not
bulky like a computing magazine. I don't know how much it retails for
in the US (and have never seen Monitoring Times for sale here) so I'm
unable to compare the two. Not sure if the magazine is as relevant in
the US (wrt some of its articles) but I'd certainly recommend buying a
copy to see for yourself - if you can find it on sale somewhere!

...Francis

Old September 7th 04, 10:46 AM
NDeveau

In article ,
(byrnefm) wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info, I'll try to find a copy.
By the way, I'm in Canada not the US. Just across the pond
from you in Nova Scotia.

Norm
Old October 5th 04, 03:26 AM
NDeveau

Many of the international broadcasters put out newsletters that have
some great content -- naturally, they're specific to their station
and/or country, but they make for some entertaining reading, plus they
include programming info and schedules. Radio Netherlands, NHK (Japan)
and China Radio Int'l are the first that come to mind. I send reception
reports in to them and others whenever I can, and they keep me on their
mailing lists. CRI also includes some interesting booklets about
various subjects. I get a cool desk calendar every year from Radio
Kuwait, too!

I get the CRI stuff too, pretty interesting. I'm still trying to win one
of those free trips to China!

I'll have to send out some more reports to see what else I can get.

Norm