Old August 19th 04, 07:58 PM
Honus

Default OT, but still relevant

Lately I've been noticing some responses to posts that aren't showing up in
my newsreader. "Tom" posts and I see it, "Dick" presumably responds but I
don't see it, and then "Harry" responds to Dick's post, which again I do
see. That's overly simplistic, but you get the idea. Even a post or two of
my own haven't appeared, although a quick peek at google tells me that they
"went out". Has anybody else noticed anything similar lately? So far it's
only apparent in this group. I'm active in several others, and they seem to
be just fine.

Old August 19th 04, 10:20 PM
Honus

"Al Arduengo"
-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me wrote
in message
-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me...
"Honus" writes:

Except for -my- posts that aren't all making it through. Over 99% do,

but
there've been a couple that just haven't shown up here even though I've
found them at google. And I've been paying attention (again, via google)

which posts from other people are missing, and they're from people whose
posts I usually -do- see.

Ah, the vagaries of Usenet.

What do you want to bet that every single piece of spam is getting

through
just fine?

Have you implemented scoring or some other filtering mechanism that
could be causing it?

Nope, not a thing. I've got a few people in the killfile, but I'm not one of
them. And of course, neither are the other people whose posts are
missing. If no one else is noticing this, I'm going have to start looking at
Verizon. I've only been with them a couple of months. I've noticed that they
don't seem to carry as many newsgroups as Earthlink did. Wish I'd known that
before I hitched up with them.

Old August 20th 04, 07:26 AM
Honus

"Mark" wrote in message
Mr Honus,

Yes, I've seen something similar. I got into a tussle with "dxAce" because

corrected one of his postings.

He replied saying he'd already pointed out the correction, and I replied

him saying basically that no he hadn't. Well, as you say, I later looked

at
the entire thread on Google, and Mr Ace was of course telling the truth!

And that was mighty strange, because I got all of this other posts for the
same thread, including all the ones where he abused me! :-) But I did NOT
get the critical post that we were essentially arguing about.

That's just what I'm afraid of. I get myself into some pretty contentious
threads (in other newsgroups). The last thing I want is for it to look like
I've run away, or just refuse to support my position.

Old August 20th 04, 10:34 AM
Mark

"dxAce" wrote in message
Of course, why would I lie to you?

There's no reason you would, no.

As I recall it, you were the first to abuse... but oh well.

I don't believe anything I said in the thread would amount to abuse.

That wasn't my problem... sorry.

Never said it was your problem, just relaying what happened with regard to
missing the post somehow.

Mark.

Old August 20th 04, 05:02 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
Honus wrote:
Nope, not a thing. I've got a few people in the killfile, but I'm not one of
them. And of course, neither are the other people whose posts are
missing. If no one else is noticing this, I'm going have to start looking at
Verizon. I've only been with them a couple of months. I've noticed that they
don't seem to carry as many newsgroups as Earthlink did. Wish I'd known that
before I hitched up with them.

Earthlink has good news servers, but a lot of the other big outfit's
news servers just aren't up to it. They just don't care.

There are third party news servers, some are cheap if you avoid the
accounts tailored for the binary downloader freaks. You can buy
a measured block of several gigabytes from Octanews or Astraweb, or
Newsguy has an inexpensive annual subscription for text groups.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old August 20th 04, 07:28 PM
clifto

Mark wrote:
"dxAce" wrote in message
Of course, why would I lie to you?

There's no reason you would, no.

As I recall it, you were the first to abuse... but oh well.

I don't believe anything I said in the thread would amount to abuse.

That wasn't my problem... sorry.

Never said it was your problem, just relaying what happened with regard to
missing the post somehow.

Listen, you two, if I have to stop this car...

--
"Kerry arrived [in Viet Nam] with a strong anti-Vietnam War bias and a self-
serving determination to build a foundation for his political future."
-- Rear Admiral Roy Hoffmann, USN (Ret.), May 4, 2004
Old August 21st 04, 01:28 AM
clifto

dxAce wrote:
Diverd4777 wrote:
http://www.disinfopedia.org/wiki.phtml?title=Roy_(Latch)_Hoffmann

Nice post... but it does nothing whatsoever to answer the charges brought against
Lt. (LMAO) Kerry.

Note he gets his information from a site whose name strongly smacks of
DISINFORMATION.

-- Rear Admiral Roy Hoffmann, USN (Ret.), May 4, 2004