Old September 18th 04, 01:44 AM
{FireArm}

Default Grundig Satellit 800 - Opinions

Evening All... im thinking of buying a Satellit 800 receiver, i understand
its got all of the features of a table top, but is just compact enough to be
used as a portable, i was wondering what anyone thought of this peice of kit

whats comes in the box? do you get a power socket? is it good value for
cash?

Thanx
{FireArm}

Old September 18th 04, 02:17 AM
m II

Dale wrote:

I definitely wouldn't consider it a portable.

You 200 pound six foot four weaklings just amaze me. We had CHILDREN
carrying around Hallicrafters Model SX-88 radios. One under EACH arm!

pffthhh..and YOU can't even pick up a ninety pound 'Grundig' 800. It was
made the size of suitcase in order to *facilitate* relocation. Furniture
movers are hardly EVER required for room to room moves!

I understand four caster type wheels are available as an option for the
limp of wrist or those who married very weak women.

mike II
Old September 18th 04, 02:28 AM
norml

It is worth noting that eton (Grundig North America) has just discontinued
it.

"{FireArm}" wrotf:

Old September 18th 04, 02:35 AM
Kameron Spesial

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:44:16 GMT, "{FireArm}"
wrote:

Evening All... im thinking of buying a Satellit 800 receiver, i understand
its got all of the features of a table top, but is just compact enough to be
used as a portable, i was wondering what anyone thought of this peice of kit

whats comes in the box? do you get a power socket? is it good value for
cash?

Thanx
{FireArm}

The 800 has good sound and a great sync detector. You won't be sorry
spending the cash for it. BTW - if you buy one and keep it in perfect
shape - you could resell it on Ebay and only lose a little bit of
money. Almost like renting it.

Good luck
Old September 18th 04, 02:55 AM
m II

{FireArm} wrote:
Evening All... im thinking of buying a Satellit 800 receiver, i understand
its got all of the features of a table top, but is just compact enough to be
used as a portable, i was wondering what anyone thought of this peice of kit

whats comes in the box? do you get a power socket? is it good value for
cash?

Thanx
{FireArm}

A good review may be found he

http://usa.shortwavestore.com/satellit-800-review.html

Old September 18th 04, 03:01 AM
m II

m II wrote:
{FireArm} wrote:

Evening All... im thinking of buying a Satellit 800 receiver, i
understand
its got all of the features of a table top, but is just compact enough
to be
used as a portable, i was wondering what anyone thought of this peice
of kit

whats comes in the box? do you get a power socket? is it good value for
cash?

Thanx
{FireArm}

A good review may be found he

http://usa.shortwavestore.com/satellit-800-review.html

Some more reviews...

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1...b910868de77b61

http://snipurl.com/95i0

mike
Old September 18th 04, 03:10 AM
m II

Kameron Spesial wrote:

The 800 has good sound and a great sync detector. You won't be sorry
spending the cash for it. BTW - if you buy one and keep it in perfect
shape - you could resell it on Ebay and only lose a little bit of
money. Almost like renting it.

Good luck

Drake has a fifteen day return policy. No risk to the buyer this way.

http://www.rldrake.com/swl/Sat800mil.html

mike
Old September 18th 04, 10:34 AM
DK

Hi,
I agree entirely with KA2SH2's and N6HBJ's negative points of view about the
G S 800:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1...b910868de77b61
The reception and the audio quality are NOT that good, the Satellit 650's
and 600's are far better. IMHO this radio is overrated and too expensive.
I'm very disappointed with it maybe because I can compare it with my other
rigs at any time. Have a look at eBay Germany, there are a lot of 600 and
650 every week at reasonable prices, you won't regret it if you buy one.

I wish a nice w.e. to everybody !

--

D. KREMP
49:03:31N / 1:26:14W - Normandy / France

Rx:
Icom
-IC-R70 + POCOM PFC-100 + KIWA audio mods
-IC-R71E + ESKAB-Edvis PLAM unit / 4 kHz X9MD + FL44A + KIWA audio mods +
WILLCO ICM 1024 B
Grundig
-Satellit 800
-Satellit 600 Professional (3x)
-Satellit 650 International
-Satellit 700 (2x)
-Concert Boy
Ant:
-DATONG AD 370
-DRESSLER ARA 30
-LW 25 m + mod. FRT 7700

Old September 18th 04, 03:55 PM
Steve

m II wrote in message news:DOM2d.22879$yW6.3654@clgrps12...
Kameron Spesial wrote:

The 800 has good sound and a great sync detector. You won't be sorry
spending the cash for it. BTW - if you buy one and keep it in perfect
shape - you could resell it on Ebay and only lose a little bit of
money. Almost like renting it.

Good luck

Drake has a fifteen day return policy. No risk to the buyer this way.

http://www.rldrake.com/swl/Sat800mil.html

mike

I agree the sound is nice, but I was never impressed with its sync
detector. In fact, it seems pretty lame compared to the sync detectors
in some other portables (e.g., the Sony SW77).

In general, I just don't see why anyone would buy an 800 when the ICOM
R-75 is essentially in the same price range.

Because they're broadcast listeners? Well, then spend a hundred bucks
on an external speaker for the R-75.

Because they want a portable? Well, the R-75 is more portable than the
800.

I'm sort of glad Eton discontinued it because it's not really a
Grundig and the Grundig name led lots of people to expect to get
something that's just not available anymore in a portable.
Old September 18th 04, 05:18 PM
Gary

"DK" wrote in message ...
Hi,
I agree entirely with KA2SH2's and N6HBJ's negative points of view about the
G S 800:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1...b910868de77b61
The reception and the audio quality are NOT that good, the Satellit 650's
and 600's are far better. IMHO this radio is overrated and too expensive.
I'm very disappointed with it maybe because I can compare it with my other
rigs at any time. Have a look at eBay Germany, there are a lot of 600 and
650 every week at reasonable prices, you won't regret it if you buy one.

I wish a nice w.e. to everybody !

Actually, the reception of the 800 is better than the 600/650 on
shortwave because of the outstanding sync detector. Also, the narrow
bandwidth on the 800 is better for ssb. Of course sound on the 600/650
is better since it uses a 30-watt amp with 2 speakers. The slow/fast
AGC is SUPERIOR to the 600/650's either on or off AGC/Manual Gain. The
600/650 is better on MW and superior on FM. Also consider that the
600/650 NEW costs about twice as much as the 800. For a NEW set,
can't beat the 800 for the price.

Got to be careful about used 600/650s. The preselector might not work
properly, and is something that can easily break down, reducing
sensitivity greatly.

GE Superadios for Dummies [ GE Super Radios I - II - III ] RHF Shortwave 9 March 22nd 04 09:37 AM
YB400PE [email protected] Shortwave 7 February 5th 04 12:34 PM
Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Radios that are offered World Wide under the Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Brand Name RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:23 PM
Latest NEWS 'eton e1 xm' radio (Grundig Satellit 900) from . . . RHF Shortwave 2 February 5th 04 12:19 PM
Grundig Satellit 900 -=V=- Eton E1 XM Radio RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:14 PM