Old November 28th 04, 09:47 AM
Lucky

"elg110254" wrote in message
Lucky, you're being victimized by long-range skip when you can't hear your
local Florida A.F.R.T.S. outlet. As a kid, V.O.A. Dixon, 40 miles west,
was
harder to receive than South American flea-watt utilities(got the qsls as
proof). With the recent hit-or-miss propogation, a local ham from Rescue,
NorCali, 30 miles northeast, has been buried in noise on his evening a.m.
hamnet check-ins on 1.925 mhz & 3.870 mhz. SoCal hams, as well as several
out-of-staters, O.T.O.H., pin the Frog 7's s-metre 10 over 9.

I thought there was a valid reason for this. At least I can put a "face" to
the problem now.
I will try a couple things to see if it helps. Anyone have any tips to help
me out??

Lucky

Old November 28th 04, 05:40 PM
Greg

From: "Lucky"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 04:45:19 -0500
Subject: (AFN) AFRTS Puerto Rico

From: "Lucky"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:57:20 -0500

"dxAce" wrote in message
Recently there was some question of where (AFN) AFRTS went from Puerto
Rico. It
was on 7507 via Puerto Rico, and now it seems as though Puerto Rico may
have
been dropped in favour of Key West on 7812.5 per
http://myafn.dodmedia.osd.mil/radio/shortwave/ (Which may or may not be
factually correct as it seems that Diego Garcia has been inactive for
some
time).

7812.5 unheard here at 2015, though I will check later when propagation
may be
better.

(Thanks to Glenn Hauser for some info on this, other research by
myself).

dxAce
Michigan
USA

I'm picking it up right now at 1055 GMT at 5446.5 with lots of garbage.

Lucky

Lucky - 5446.5 usually works pretty well for me in Lakeland.

Greg

It works for me too but not very well. I used to get 7507 in so good it was
fantastic to listen to it. Since Puerto Rico had that hurricane, it's gone.
I miss it. I get 5446.5 in so faint it's saddening. I have to use the preamp
2 setting on my R75 to even hear it. But hi to another SWL in Florida.

Lucky

Roger that. 7507 was good to listen to. Now that I've paid more attention
to it I see that 5446.5 comes and goes, it's not always clear enough for
comfortable listening. But I don't have much of an antenna up - gotta get
busy on that!

Best regards,

Greg