Old January 2nd 05, 02:57 PM
Al Patrick

Default Wal-Mart to start selling DRM radios!

I heard yesterday on shortwave that we can look for DRM radios shortly
at a Wal-Mart near YOU! :-) I don't think they mentioned a brand. I
just did a search of http://www.walmart.com/ - the entire site - for DRM
and got NO finds. It DID automatically CONVERT my DRM to tell me there
were 1140 occurances of DRUM! :-)

Someone may want to check about once a week and let us know when they
are in stock.

Al
Old January 2nd 05, 04:37 PM

helmsman wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 09:57:42 -0500, Al Patrick

wrote:

I heard yesterday on shortwave that we can look for DRM radios

shortly
at a Wal-Mart near YOU! :-) I don't think they mentioned a brand.

just did a search of http://www.walmart.com/ - the entire site - for

DRM
and got NO finds. It DID automatically CONVERT my DRM to tell me

there
were 1140 occurances of DRUM! :-)

Someone may want to check about once a week and let us know when

they
are in stock.

Al

Do they kill a cat with every purchase? Or is it just one per truck

load.

It's a good idea to watch Ebay, too. It'll soon be flooded with all the
DRM receivers purchased new at Walmart.

Old January 2nd 05, 04:38 PM
RHF

AP,
..
I did not find DRM on the Walmart website, but I did find
- - - " Passport To World Band Radio " @ $14.36 + S&H
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2618511
..
"DRM" also gets a lot of Hits for 'Digital Rights Management' (DRM)
..
more than you wanted to know ~ RHF
..

Old January 2nd 05, 04:48 PM

Does wal fart fire a wal fart lady employee when the wal fart lady
employee on her lunch break takes an eldery lady customer of wal fart to
the eldery lady's home and the wal fart lady employee makes it back to
the wal fart store before her lunch break is over? There is at least one
instance of that,that did happen.wal fart Gestapo,they meet you at the
front doors going and coming.
cuhulin

Old January 2nd 05, 04:52 PM
RHF

For One and All,
..
FWIW - Here is a Link to the "Ask Walmart"
OnLine Inquiry-Request Form webpage.
http://www.walmartstores.com/wmstore...OnlineForm.jsp
..
hth ~ RHF
..

Old January 2nd 05, 06:01 PM
James

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
I heard yesterday on shortwave that we can look for DRM radios shortly
at a Wal-Mart near YOU! :-) I don't think they mentioned a brand.

At the risk of putting my hand into the
hollow of a tree and finding a nest of racoons
residing therin, could someone in here please
explain just what a DRM radio is....?

Old January 2nd 05, 06:42 PM
johndobbs

James wrote:
"Al Patrick" wrote in message
I heard yesterday on shortwave that we can look for DRM radios

shortly
at a Wal-Mart near YOU! :-) I don't think they mentioned a brand.

At the risk of putting my hand into the
hollow of a tree and finding a nest of racoons
residing therin, could someone in here please
explain just what a DRM radio is....?

DRM is a form of digital AM radio. Right now, when you receive AM (MW)
broadcasts, they are broadcast as analogue. Digital radio digitizes the
broadcast and you need a digital receiver to decode it. It improves the
signal greatly. It's like listening to FM, and some say it's better
than FM. There is no static....just pure audio. Europeans have already
been experimenting in the shortwave portion with DRM, and some
receivers, like the TenTec 320D, can receive these test broadcasts at
this time. Now, there are some U.S. MW (AM BCB) stations also
broadcasting in digital. One that comes to mind is WOR out of NYC. But
as far as I know -- it's a different standard than DRM. (And I
certainly could be wrong about that). In other words -- you would need
a different decoder for the U.S. version than the DRM(?). That's really
about the size of that. And just off the top of my head, DRM stands for
-- Digital Radio Mondial. It's just the name of the European consortium
that is formulating all this. Will it go over and digital AM radio
become the standard; or will it become like what happened to AM stereo?
Only time will tell.

Old January 2nd 05, 07:30 PM
Al Patrick

Go to www.drm.org to learn all the nitty gritty details.

DRM: Technical Aspects of The On-Air System

The DRM on-air system will propel the AM broadcasting bands below 30 MHz
— short-wave, medium-wave and long-wave - to the next level.

DRM is the only universal, non-proprietary digital AM radio system with
near-FM quality sound available to markets worldwide.

The quality of DRM audio is excellent, and the improvement upon analogue
AM is immediately noticeable. DRM can be used for a range of audio
content, including multi-lingual speech and music.

Besides providing near-FM quality audio, the DRM system has the capacity
to integrate data and text. This additional content can be displayed on
DRM receivers to enhance the listening experience.

Unlike digital systems that require a new frequency allocation, DRM uses
existing AM broadcast frequency bands. The DRM signal is designed to fit
in with the existing AM broadcast band plan, based on signals of 9 kHz
or10kHz bandwidth. It has modes requiring as little as 4.5kHz or 5kHz
bandwidth, plus modes that can take advantage of wider bandwidths, such
as 18 or 20kHz.

---------

The above, except the first line, is a cut & paste from that site.

Al

FS: GMRS and FRS radios Mike CB 2 November 29th 04 02:38 AM
Noaa Same radios with warning only? Jim noname Scanner 3 July 15th 04 05:17 AM
FCC cracking down on Export Radios & Amplifier sales and 10m & 2m intruders Leland C. Scott CB 0 April 10th 04 08:02 AM
2 CB / 2 EXPORT RADIOS FORE SALE!! Justin CB 3 March 30th 04 11:41 AM
Looking for LOCAL buyer to buy lots of my radios! Dave Boatanchors 0 September 4th 03 11:17 PM