Old January 2nd 05, 07:51 PM
Fredrick Garvin

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:30:37 -0500, Al Patrick wrote:

Go to www.drm.org to learn all the nitty gritty details.

DRM: Technical Aspects of The On-Air System

The DRM on-air system will propel the AM broadcasting bands below 30 MHz
short-wave, medium-wave and long-wave - to the next level.

DRM is the only universal, non-proprietary digital AM radio system with
near FM quality sound available to markets worldwide.

The quality of DRM audio is excellent, and the improvement upon analogue
AM is immediately noticeable. DRM can be used for a range of audio
content, including multi-lingual speech and music.

Besides providing near-FM quality audio, the DRM system has the capacity
to integrate data and text. This additional content can be displayed on
DRM receivers to enhance the listening experience.

Unlike digital systems that require a new frequency allocation, DRM uses
existing AM broadcast frequency bands. The DRM signal is designed to fit
in with the existing AM broadcast band plan, based on signals of 9 kHz
or10kHz bandwidth. It has modes requiring as little as 4.5kHz or 5kHz
bandwidth, plus modes that can take advantage of wider bandwidths, such
as 18 or 20kHz.

Now people can listen to their pantload of commercials on AM in FM quality
sound! WOW! Can't freakin' wait!!!!

Commercial radio sucks anymore. It's all commercials now.

Old January 2nd 05, 08:07 PM
Fredrick Garvin

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 16:34:44 +0000, helmsman wrote:

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 09:57:42 -0500, Al Patrick wrote:

I heard yesterday on shortwave that we can look for DRM radios shortly
at a Wal-Mart near YOU! :-) I don't think they mentioned a brand. I
just did a search of http://www.walmart.com/ - the entire site - for DRM
and got NO finds. It DID automatically CONVERT my DRM to tell me there
were 1140 occurances of DRUM! :-)

Someone may want to check about once a week and let us know when they
are in stock.

Al

Do they kill a cat with every purchase? Or is it just one per truck load.

No but they kill fish instead. Just go to their fish area and see how good
they are at taking care of the fish. They're good at keeping dead ones.

Seriously. Go count the dead the dead fish next time you go.

Old January 2nd 05, 08:33 PM
m II

James wrote:
"Al Patrick" wrote in message

I heard yesterday on shortwave that we can look for DRM radios shortly
at a Wal-Mart near YOU! :-) I don't think they mentioned a brand.

At the risk of putting my hand into the
hollow of a tree and finding a nest of racoons
residing therin, could someone in here please
explain just what a DRM radio is....?

Digital Raccoon Movement Radio. It lets you detect the furry
inhabitants BEFORE you put your hand in. It's the latest craze. No
more lost fingers make the world a better place and driving more fun.

mike

--

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No
matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got

Terry Pratchett
Old January 2nd 05, 08:35 PM
Al Patrick

Fredrick Garvin wrote:

[...]

Something or someone has to pay for the costs (and there are many)
involved with air time. If you, or anyone else, prefers to pay for
commercial free radio that is an option. There are $10 per month plans
and $13 per month plans with two well known companies. Most, I think,
would prefer to put up with the commercials than pay to listen.

Of course, there are always, CDs, tapes, MP3 players, DVDs, etc. that
one can purchase and they may be commercial free.

About Wal-Mart and the radios. They are not "Wal-Mart radios" but will
be sold by Wal-Mart. OTOH, Don't be too surprised if you learn that
Wal-Mart actually OWNS some of the plants that manufacture for them! :-(
Old January 2nd 05, 08:37 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ps.com,
James wrote:

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
I heard yesterday on shortwave that we can look for DRM radios shortly
at a Wal-Mart near YOU! :-) I don't think they mentioned a brand.

At the risk of putting my hand into the
hollow of a tree and finding a nest of racoons
residing therin, could someone in here please
explain just what a DRM radio is....?

Digital Radio Mondial, which translates (from French) to
World-Wide Digital Radio. It's a system that transmits
a digital datastream of (somewhere around) 20-40k bits
per second in a bandwidth of 9 or 10 kHz using several
hundred subcarriers, each modulated at a slow data rate.

In this datastream is a highly compressed audio broadcast,
with some sort of computer readable data alongside.

If you run across what sounds like white noise (using AM)
over a 10 kHz wide signal, or with a strange tonal waterfall
sound using SSB, this is probably a DRM transmission.
In North America, try 9800 kHz in the afternoon (22:00? to 2:00?
UTC) for the Canadian transmitter at Sackville.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old January 2nd 05, 09:48 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Al,

And, like ALL digital media, you either HEAR IT or you DON'T! Can't
wait to listen to heavily fading signals via DRM! Even with
"buffering," you're going to need Bufferin!

Yes sir - the "next level!"

Digital media is also very easy to censor (and jam, for that matter).
(Maybe that's a good thing, vis a vis our wonderful(?) "religious"
short wave broadcasters. Can't wait to hear "Hallelujah - Send Me
Money" in high-fidelity sound!)

Include me out.

Best,

Joe

Old January 2nd 05, 11:19 PM
RHF

JA,
..
The 'object' being to "Interupt" the Data Stream
and thus cause the Radio NOT to Receive [.]
..
A moderately powered Random Burst Transmitter
should make most DRM Signals NOT There !
[ Un-Decode-Able By The Signal Processor ]
..
jm2cw ~ RHF
..
..

Old January 3rd 05, 12:09 AM
Al Patrick

Joe,

I expect you were already included out! ;-)

Al

=========

Old January 3rd 05, 12:12 AM
Brian Hill

"m II" wrote in message

Digital Raccoon Movement Radio. It lets you detect the furry
inhabitants BEFORE you put your hand in. It's the latest craze. No
more lost fingers make the world a better place and driving more fun.

mike

mike your visa has expired, Please leave now and take your relatives with
you.

B.H.

Old January 3rd 05, 12:30 AM
Fredrick Garvin

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:35:41 -0500, Al Patrick wrote:

Fredrick Garvin wrote:

[...]

I got XM a year and a half ago, never looked back. I'd rather get
programing and not over 50% of commercials thanks.

Of course, there are always, CDs, tapes, MP3 players, DVDs, etc. that
one can purchase and they may be commercial free.

Yes, that is an option of coarse as well.

About Wal-Mart and the radios. They are not "Wal-Mart radios" but will
be sold by Wal-Mart. OTOH, Don't be too surprised if you learn that
Wal-Mart actually OWNS some of the plants that manufacture for them! :-(

I don't care! Walmart sucks ass anyway.

FS: GMRS and FRS radios Mike CB 2 November 29th 04 02:38 AM
Noaa Same radios with warning only? Jim noname Scanner 3 July 15th 04 05:17 AM
FCC cracking down on Export Radios & Amplifier sales and 10m & 2m intruders Leland C. Scott CB 0 April 10th 04 08:02 AM
2 CB / 2 EXPORT RADIOS FORE SALE!! Justin CB 3 March 30th 04 11:41 AM
Looking for LOCAL buyer to buy lots of my radios! Dave Boatanchors 0 September 4th 03 11:17 PM