Old January 27th 05, 02:20 AM
Lucky

Default SSB On the Lowe HF-150??

Is this mainly a program listening rig?
How is the SSB on it with no PBT or shift?

I guess you can't even compare it to a Drake R8 huh??

Any opinions?

Thanks
Lucky

Old January 27th 05, 03:16 AM
Dave Holford

Lucky wrote:
Is this mainly a program listening rig?
How is the SSB on it with no PBT or shift?

I guess you can't even compare it to a Drake R8 huh??

Any opinions?

Thanks
Lucky

The SSB is excellent; the synchronous AM, all 4 options, works great; as
do the AM and AMN.

Dave
Old January 27th 05, 03:49 AM

And stable as a ROCK.

Old January 27th 05, 03:57 AM
Lucky

"Dave Holford" wrote in message
. ..
Lucky wrote:
Is this mainly a program listening rig?
How is the SSB on it with no PBT or shift?

I guess you can't even compare it to a Drake R8 huh??

Any opinions?

Thanks
Lucky

The SSB is excellent; the synchronous AM, all 4 options, works great; as
do the AM and AMN.

Dave

But how can it be that good in SSB with no PBT or shift? Explain..

Lucky

Old January 27th 05, 04:24 AM
Michael Black

"Lucky" ) writes:
Is this mainly a program listening rig?
How is the SSB on it with no PBT or shift?

Those are both bells and whistles, very uncommon even thirty years ago,
and only slowly moving into more common appearance, and towards lower
priced equipment.

Good SSB means good stability, good selectivity (sufficiently narrow,
and sharp skirts) and a product detector. If it's got that, then it's
good for SSB.

The other things may help under some conditions, but people have lived
without them.

Micahel

Old January 27th 05, 01:55 PM
Dale Parfitt

Lucky wrote:
Is this mainly a program listening rig?
How is the SSB on it with no PBT or shift?

I guess you can't even compare it to a Drake R8 huh??

Any opinions?

Thanks
Lucky

The SSB is excellent; the synchronous AM, all 4 options, works great; as
do the AM and AMN.

Dave

But how can it be that good in SSB with no PBT or shift? Explain..

Lucky

What does PBT or IF shift have to do with tuning SSB? These controls are

for moving the filter response across the passband, and have no effect on
fidelity other than perhaps hurting it off moved too far.

The difference between the R8 and the Lowe is that the Lowe is built
tremendously better and the Sync modes work as well if not better.

Dale W4OP

Old January 27th 05, 02:44 PM
Lucky

Lucky wrote:
[...]

What does it have to do with it? There are many SSB stations I would have to
listen to with loads of interference if I didn't have them.
Some I wouldn't be able to continue listening to at all.

Lucky

Old January 27th 05, 03:41 PM
Dave Holford

Lucky wrote:

Is this mainly a program listening rig?
How is the SSB on it with no PBT or shift?

I guess you can't even compare it to a Drake R8 huh??

Any opinions?

Thanks
Lucky

The SSB is excellent; the synchronous AM, all 4 options, works great; as
do the AM and AMN.

Dave

But how can it be that good in SSB with no PBT or shift? Explain..

Lucky

Good question, given that the vast majority of my listening is on SSB,
including some SWBC stations with QRM on one sideband - BBC on 12095 for
example - what do PBT and IF Shift have to do with SSB performance?
If they were important surely they would be standard items in
professional receivers?

I agree that they can be useful on occasion for getting rid of some QRM,
but they are hardly a requirement for good SSB performance.

I have, among others, the HF-150, R-5000, Plessey PR155, Eddystone
EC-958: none have PBT and only the R-5000 has shift which is very seldom
needed, the filters do most of the work. My HAM rigs have both and also
are seldom required.

Regards
Dave
Old January 27th 05, 03:47 PM
Dave Holford

"Lucky" wrote in message

"Dave Holford" wrote in message
om...

Lucky wrote:

[...]

I would be tempted to think that there is something seriously wrong if
you have to use PBT and shift to be able to listen to SSB stations.
Either your receiver or local noise environment need to be looked at.

The only other option I see is that you are operating your receiver
incorrectly. I have an "older" acquaintance who has a similar problem
but insists on listening to SSB with a 16kHz filter - he needs all the
help he can get since he refuses to use the correct filter(s).

Dave
Old January 27th 05, 04:44 PM
Mark S. Holden

Lucky wrote:

What does it have to do with it? There are many SSB stations I would have to
listen to with loads of interference if I didn't have them.
Some I wouldn't be able to continue listening to at all.

Lucky

They're just the features you've learned to use to compensate for problems
you've faced.

On my 7030+ I've installed exceptionally good filters with very steep skirts, so
I rarely need to tweak the PBT to eliminate interference.

But the real reason I added those filters was the ones that came with the radio
were too wide or too narrow for me. The fact better filters simplified using
the radio was just a bonus.

On the Harris, I just use the sync detector and coherent AGC and it sounds
beautiful.

The HF-150 is one of those radios hardly anyone complains about - I never bought
one, but I spent a while looking for the Europa version before I ended up with
my 7030+. I wanted as much performance as I could get in the smallest possible
package, and it had to be reasonably practical to run on rechargeable
batteries.

I'm very happy with the decision I made, but if I'd found a HF-150 Europa first,
I probably would have gone for it. (and then I'd probably have tried the 7030
anyway)