Old January 28th 05, 11:54 PM
snow

Default router question

I can't seem to get a good answer from Radio Shack on this question, so I
figured someone on here someone would know it. This is not a shortwave
question, but I figured there is a higher level of tech knowledge on here
than Radio Shack workers. Verizon just sent me an upgraded wireless router
for my DSL. I also have a second computer than communicates with the router
via a USB adapter. Anyways, I had a Netgear wireless router that I was using
but no longer need since Verizon sent their new and improved one. Can this
Netgear router be used on a third computer to receive the DSL signal from
the Verizon router OR will I need to pick up another USB adapter to receive
a signal. I am not sure a router just transmits signals and maybe doesn't
act as a receiver of signals, thus the need for the USB adapter. Any
information appreciated.
David
N1QLK

Old January 29th 05, 12:39 AM

I am not sure if I understand your question.
A router is like a telpehone central
office exchange. Each PC (on a net)
has to have a NIC (network interface card)
These can be ISA, PCI, integrateed, PCMIA
(or whatever you call the little plug in cards
that laptops use), or USB.
Each PC has a ethernet cable, today most
look like a telephone jack on steroids, but,
in the "good old days" we used 50 thinnet
with BNCs and I have even seen some odd IBM 2
pin coax. But almost everything today is either CAT5
or fibre optics.
You hub has one port called "uplink", (different terms
are used) that connects to your Cable/DSL or real world
ethernet port. My Ntegear T10 has 8 femal connectors.
One has a switch to allow it to function as a normal
prot, or an uplink port.
Say I have four PCs and a cable box, I don't we only have
2 and a use56K dialup, you will run one cable to each
PCs NIC device, in this case your USB adaptor. Then the
uplink port will go to the cable modem.
But each PC has to have it's own NIC.
An each will have to have a unique TCP/IP assigned.
Some hubs, modems are smart and use DHCP.
Others you will have to assign "static" numbers.
This will at least get you pointed in the right direction.
In a realy bad evil situation, you mihgt have to have
1 PCwith 2 NICs to act as a bridge. I don't know how far
hubs and cable modems have come in the last few years,
but when I helped a friend set his up 3 years ago, he had to
go the ugly route.
Wireless systems face similar issues. All PCs must have
a unique TCP/IP address. This is perhaps the single most
important thing to learn. I learned the hard way at 3:00Am the
hard way. We have one modem and use "network connecton
sharing" to allow that. It was a major PITA to set up.
I am assuming that you are using TCP/IP and not "netbui" or
Novel.
Terry

Old January 29th 05, 03:04 PM
David

Why would you want to broadcast everything you do on your computer to
all your neighbors?

Old January 29th 05, 03:34 PM
snow

There is some security with Wi-Fi. Especially with the newest routers.
Wireless is becoming very popular. So broadcasting to neighbors is highly
remote with improved WiFi products.
"snow" wrote in message
I got one uplink and that router sends the signal to another computer (USB
wireless Adapter). What I am asking is for a third computer can I use a
router to communicate with the uplink or another USB wireless adapter. I
know a USB wireless adapter will work, but I was wondering if a wireless
router can take the place of the adapter. I assume likely not since a

router
is made to send signals out. So can a router replace an wireless USB
adapter.

Old January 29th 05, 03:47 PM

OK I think I understand it now.
My sisiter has a HP laptop with built in wireless
support. I took it to work and we have a commons
area with an unrestricted WiFi port.
I played with her PC orver lunch, while several other
people used the same WiFi "port/device/wrieless hub".
You must have a hub that also has WiFi capacity.
If you have that, then you should be able to add several
additional WiFi users. At some point, about 5 in
the only situaiton I was in, the network gets real
slow. Even more so if someone is downloading
large data (think MP3) files.
So IF your router has built in WiFi, and you have
additional USB WiFi devices then yes you should be
able to add more users. The exact how to wil
depend on security issues.
When my aunt came in for Chrstmas, the hotel they
stayed in had WiFi. But when she fired up her laptop,
she connected to the next door hotel's WiFi port.

Terry

Old January 29th 05, 04:02 PM

If you are useing a computer or computers via WiFi,especially if you are
working on important data,files,or whatever,make sure you enable some
good encryption.At www.komando.com (by the way,her radio talk show is
on the radio Saturday mornings from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM,central time
zone,I am listening to it right now) type in some keywords in her
website search window of whatever you are looking for.It is good to get
her free email newsletters too.I use Road Runner www.twcjam.com for
my computer.
cuhulin

Old January 29th 05, 04:05 PM

You only need one good firewall for your computer.Road Runner already
has a firewall and I have Norton System Works 2005 with GoBack and I
have Lavasoft Adaware.It works for me.
cuhulin

Old January 30th 05, 04:22 AM
m II

Brian Hill wrote:

Why would you want to broadcast everything you do on your computer to
all your neighbors?

Now Dave. Shouldn't you be looking for more political crap to post?

Really, Brian. You know that reminding someone of political stuff in a
ROUTER thread is off topic.

mike

Interesting question JAMES HAMPTON CB 3 December 7th 04 09:34 AM
(OT)- static- linksys router? Drifter Shortwave 7 May 5th 04 03:24 PM
Wireless Router & Receiver Noise ? Robert11 Shortwave 4 August 21st 03 02:10 AM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM