Old January 31st 05, 06:05 PM
Michael Lawson

Default Early Dayton Research

I'm planning on making my first trip in 5 years up to
Dayton, and I'm on a mission to go hunting for a
good boatanchor. Hell, part of the reason why I've
been adding some lifting to my workouts has been
to haul one of those babies back to my car over at
the Salem Mall (or whatever the hell they call that
empty shell now).

Ideally, I'd like a Hammarlund HQ-180AC, which
I've used before for about 3-4 months, but I'm
realistic enough to know that with the demand for
one that I'm not probably going to land one. My
big question, then, is what would be a good
alternative?? I'm not interested in the R390/A
(the demand thing again), or the SP-600 or SX-88
either. I don't really know too much about the
50's-60's Hallicrafters models, and the only other
model I'm familiar with other than the HQ-160 is
the Hallicrafters S-20R Sky Champion.

I've thought about hunting for a Hallicrafters SX-100,
but that's about it. Anyone have some models
that would be worth it to hunt for?? Once I get
a list, I'll go doing some online research and narrow
my choices down (starting with dxing.com, naturally).

--Mike L.

Old January 31st 05, 06:06 PM
dxAce

Michael Lawson wrote:

[...]

I guess you could look for a nice HQ-150

--Mike L.

Old January 31st 05, 06:43 PM

Not sure what all you are looking for or the age. Here's a couple of
National Radio possibilities though:
Look for an HRO 60 (love that dial) or a 100ASD.

Old January 31st 05, 06:58 PM
Michael Black

"Michael Lawson" ) writes:
Ideally, I'd like a Hammarlund HQ-180AC, which
I've used before for about 3-4 months, but I'm
realistic enough to know that with the demand for
one that I'm not probably going to land one. My
big question, then, is what would be a good
alternative?? I'm not interested in the R390/A
(the demand thing again), or the SP-600 or SX-88
either. I don't really know too much about the
50's-60's Hallicrafters models, and the only other
model I'm familiar with other than the HQ-160 is
the Hallicrafters S-20R Sky Champion.

Wouldn't it make more sense to study up on old receivers,
sio you'd be able to choose among what you can find, rather than
trying to find a specific model?

Once you figure out the sort of receiver you want, then there are
bound to be many that fit that. Obviously some would be better than
others in a given range, but with a good knowledge base you can
better decide whether receiver A at XX dollars is a good tradeoff with
receiver B with YY dollars.

There is a book or two that documents old receivers. It might be
worth getting one of them (if they are still in print), giving you
not only a chance to look at all that was available at one time, but
you can take it with you in case something exotic comes along and
then comes into consideration.

Michael

Old January 31st 05, 07:51 PM
Dale Parfitt

Yeah, I've been rereading the Communications Receivers
The Vacuum Tube Era by Raymond Moore several times,
but the main thing on that one is the tubes and some basic
info, not too much on other details like sensitivity and extras.
I've the first edition of Fred Osterman's Buying a Used
Shortwave Receiver around, but it's rather limited on the
tube radios.

What I was hoping for was recommendations by folks
who've actually used some of them, because it gives
me a starting point. Since I know that time flies when
you're having fun and there are a lot of models to hunt
down, it's nice to hear from folks who've actually used
some of the old rigs.

--Mike L.

Hi Mike,

You are smart to rule out the SX-88. I did a full restoration on one a year
back and it went for $7500 on EBay- I have seen them as high as $9500.

I am always disappointed when I get a chance to play with the Hallicrafters
receivers- except the SX-115. Hammarlund is a bit better, but both suffer
from poorer calibration marks as you go higher in frequency.
You might be interested in one of the Drake 4 line receivers. These are
exceptional, have the capability of adding additional filters, one of the
best NB's ever made, 1KHz resolution, low drift and their PBT is fabulous.
I have added a full set of crystals to my R-4C and find it to be a wonderful
SW RX. Sherwood has some very nice updates. Even more importantly, they are
plentiful and a fraction of the weight of the BIG boys. You'll see lots of
them at Dayton.

Dale W4OP

Old January 31st 05, 07:58 PM
Michael Lawson

Thanks for the info. I'm shooting for mid 50's-mid 60's,
mainly, so those two are definitely worth a look.

--Mike L.

ups.com...

Old January 31st 05, 08:03 PM
Michael Lawson

"dxAce" wrote in message

Michael Lawson wrote:

[...]

That's worth a shot. Does the Q-Multiplier actually
work well on the 150??

--Mike L.

Old January 31st 05, 08:38 PM
dxAce

Dale Parfitt wrote:

[...]

Over that I think. Didn't WB6ACU pay more than that for one?

Old January 31st 05, 09:00 PM
dxAce

Dale Parfitt wrote:

[...]

I think the R4-C was the only one of that lot that was capable of actually
adding filters to.

I believe the R4-B was actually the better receiver for SWBC IMHO.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 1st 05, 01:29 AM
GayinCanada

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:38:24 -0500, dxAce wrote:

Dale Parfitt wrote:

[...]

Yes, that one went for 10 grand....