Old February 3rd 05, 03:47 PM
Ink addict

Default Wire antenna question

I know this has been asked many time before but I am going to ask again. The
only place i can have an antenna at the place I live is in the same room as my
radio so I am wondering if I can run a wire around the room? Can I bend it
around the corners to make it longer or just run a staight piece along one
wall.
TIA
Bob
Old February 3rd 05, 03:52 PM
dxAce

Ink addict wrote:

I know this has been asked many time before but I am going to ask again. The
only place i can have an antenna at the place I live is in the same room as my
radio so I am wondering if I can run a wire around the room? Can I bend it
around the corners to make it longer or just run a staight piece along one
wall.

Try it several different ways. Experiment.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old February 3rd 05, 04:11 PM
Mark S. Holden

Ink addict wrote:

I know this has been asked many time before but I am going to ask again. The
only place i can have an antenna at the place I live is in the same room as my
radio so I am wondering if I can run a wire around the room? Can I bend it
around the corners to make it longer or just run a staight piece along one
wall.
TIA
Bob

If you're in a wood frame building that doesn't have aluminum siding, you might
try an antenna like one of my friends has.

It's a loop of wire around the perimeter of his living room, up near the
ceiling. He uses thumb tacks or push pins every few feet to hold it up. You
can see it if you look for it, but most folks don't notice it because the he
used wire wrap wire (it's thin) and it and the pins are the same color as the
walls.

He uses an impedance matching transformer where the antenna connects to the
coax.

I like loop antennas indoors because they don't pick up as much RFI as a random
wire.
Old February 3rd 05, 04:48 PM
uncle arnie

Ink addict wrote:

I know this has been asked many time before but I am going to ask again.
The only place i can have an antenna at the place I live is in the same
room as my radio so I am wondering if I can run a wire around the room?
Can I bend it around the corners to make it longer or just run a staight
piece along one wall.
TIA
Bob

Best advice is to experiment. Depending on where you live, you will have
better results with different lengths of wire. If in a high signal area,
too much wire may overload the receiver and magnify noise. If in medium or
low, longer is often better. Bends in the wire will changes the reception
to some degree. I have about 100 m around the outside of my house eaves
and the looping nature doesn't harm reception, but this is for my location:
far from sources of interference and also from signals I want to hear.

The length of wire will also depend on your receiver. Portables in general
may not benefit from long aerials. I use the around the house wire for an
Icom R-75. With portables (YB400, ATS909, ATS404) I use the roll up wires
that come with these units, and it is more than enough.
Old February 3rd 05, 06:40 PM
RHF

IA,

Old February 3rd 05, 11:18 PM
Brian Oakley

you might want to try a "slinky" antenna, either in dipole configuration or
as a long wire strung around the room.

Old February 3rd 05, 11:41 PM
ShortwaveMan

I have a similar problem. I used push pins pushed into the four corners
around the window in my room and ran hookup wire around that. The trouble
is, this apt. complex has dsl and it really interferes with shortwave
listening. There isn't much I can do about except move S. Nevertheless,
the antenna works well with my dx 394. If I get up early on, sometimes there
is good reception.

~~~~~ God gives peace not war +

Old February 4th 05, 06:55 AM
Conan Ford

"ShortwaveMan" wrote in
ink.net:

I have a similar problem. I used push pins pushed into the four
corners around the window in my room and ran hookup wire around that.
The trouble is, this apt. complex has dsl and it really interferes
with shortwave listening. There isn't much I can do about except move
S. Nevertheless, the antenna works well with my dx 394. If I get up
early on, sometimes there is good reception.

DSL interferes with shortwave? Good to know. Now I won't get DSL, but
will stick with a cable modem, with its shielded cable.

I thought that the twisted pairs of phone lines would prevent most signal
leakage.

Old February 5th 05, 01:26 AM
matt weber

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 06:55:02 GMT, Conan Ford
wrote:

"ShortwaveMan" wrote in
link.net:

I have a similar problem. I used push pins pushed into the four
corners around the window in my room and ran hookup wire around that.
The trouble is, this apt. complex has dsl and it really interferes
with shortwave listening. There isn't much I can do about except move
S. Nevertheless, the antenna works well with my dx 394. If I get up
early on, sometimes there is good reception.

DSL interferes with shortwave? Good to know. Now I won't get DSL, but
will stick with a cable modem, with its shielded cable.

I thought that the twisted pairs of phone lines would prevent most signal
leakage.

It does, the problem is that when you can easily detect microvolts, it
isn't hard for a twisted pair that is carring volts to radiate enough
energy to be detecatable at the microvolt level.
Old February 5th 05, 03:10 AM
Howard

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 18:26:50 -0700, matt weber
wrote:

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 06:55:02 GMT, Conan Ford
wrote:

"ShortwaveMan" wrote in
hlink.net:

I have a similar problem. I used push pins pushed into the four
corners around the window in my room and ran hookup wire around that.
The trouble is, this apt. complex has dsl and it really interferes
with shortwave listening. There isn't much I can do about except move
S. Nevertheless, the antenna works well with my dx 394. If I get up
early on, sometimes there is good reception.

DSL interferes with shortwave? Good to know. Now I won't get DSL, but
will stick with a cable modem, with its shielded cable.

I thought that the twisted pairs of phone lines would prevent most signal
leakage.

It does, the problem is that when you can easily detect microvolts, it
isn't hard for a twisted pair that is carring volts to radiate enough
energy to be detecatable at the microvolt level.

Another take on it: I have DSL and don't have any issues when my modem
and router are turned off - and the power to the wall warts also
turned off. It may well be that the interference is not from the DSL
itself but the supporting equipment.