Old February 17th 05, 03:23 AM
running dogg

Default WHY can't I hear the BBC?

This is the third of four nights that I've been totally unable to hear
the BBC with any degree of audibility. For the record, I'm trying to
receive The World Today at 0300 UTC. 9525 always seems to have or
develop some strange, loud buzz that totally wipes out the signal. It
can be clear at 0230 and when I tune back at 0300 it's developed this
very loud noise that I can't null. It's like the buzzing of a
flourescent light. 5975 always has a high noise floor for some reason,
but lately it's been so bad that the signal underneath is just mush.
I've tried all FIVE modes on my Yaesu FRG-8800 (AM, LSB, USB, CW, FM)
and none of them work. I've tried adjusting tone, volume, narrowband,
AGC, noise blanker, no dice. The same noises exist on my Degen 1102, so
it's not the radio or the antenna. I'm using about 50 feet of speaker
wire on the Yaesu, and the supplied external longwire on the Degen. A
couple nights ago I listened as 9525 started out clear at 0300 but as
time went on it developed the loud buzz, which ramped up gradually until
the signal was inaudible. Is anybody else hearing this, or having the
same problems?

Old February 17th 05, 05:23 AM
Conan Ford

I think the inteference you are experiencing is caused by the propagation
conditions changing as the night goes on.
Old February 17th 05, 05:25 AM
minerva

it is operating on 5975, loud and clear now and earlier this evening
when i tuned in on EST. technically, i do not know why you cannot hear
it unless someone near you is operating some type of electronics that is
interfering.
minerva

Old February 17th 05, 09:26 AM
ShortwaveMan

it quite possibly could be computers or some digital equipment somewhere. It sounds more like propogation or bad weather. I know when I lived at my last apartment I had LOTS of wire strung all over heck and gone and a good earth ground consisting of 8 feet of rebar pounded down until I had 3 feet left above ground and kept the contact as clean as possible. When a storm front was approaching I would really get that noise you are talking about and if it got bad enough I disconnected the antenna and pulled the power plug out.

There is so much being transmitted through the air that if we could see it it would be a thick fog. Not all equipment is properly maintained; in particularly power lines, especially high tension lines. Some of it is so bad that the power company has had to come out to some areas and physically clean the dirt and crud off those high tension lines because people were being driven to distraction by the noise S. If there are bad spots, the current arcs and you get intermittent bursts of noise. Street lights are also offenders - mercury vapor and sodium vapor may make a lot of light but not without making a lot of noise as well. And it doesn't seem to matter what time of year it is, there will always be those times when the noise wipes out just about everything. Then when you are about to throw the set in the pond, you discover a station you never heard before g. A little patience can go a long way.

God gives Peace not war +

Old February 17th 05, 01:39 PM

5975 comes in loud and clear, in fact the signal is so good I can hear
it without extending the antenna on my DE1103. I wonder if you don't
have some sort of local interference. Maybe a neighbor has a new
electronic toy that is radiating all sorts of noise.

running dogg wrote:
[...]

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+ Newsgroups

=----

Old February 17th 05, 04:07 PM
running dogg

ShortwaveMan wrote:

it quite possibly could be computers or some digital equipment
somewhere. It sounds more like propogation or bad weather. I know when I
lived at my last apartment I had LOTS of wire strung all over heck and
gone and a good earth ground consisting of 8 feet of rebar pounded down
until I had 3 feet left above ground and kept the contact as clean as
possible. When a storm front was approaching I would really get that
noise you are talking about and if it got bad enough I disconnected the
antenna and pulled the power plug out.

Actually, there HAS been a weak storm system parked off the California
coast since Sunday. It hasn't had any lightning associated with it, but
it has been sending wave after wave of rain into northern California.
It's supposed to move through on Friday, maybe then reception will
improve. Other than that, reception has been the best it's been in a
month over this past week. By the way, I tuned back at 0330 and noticed
that the noise on 9525 had quieted enough to make the signal audible
when using USB.

Old February 17th 05, 11:02 PM
RHF

RD,
Old February 17th 05, 11:11 PM
running dogg

RHF wrote:

RD,
.
It helps if you give your 'location' in such a inquiry.
.
Country - State - Metro-Area (Nearest City)
.
It does you no good to get "Receiption Reports" from Boston, MA,
Miami, FL. or Toronto, ON. Mexico City if you live in San Diego, CA.

Sorry. Sacramento, California. I knew I was forgetting something.
.
Some noise problems like you cite are in-fact world-wide
but far more are simply local noise or regional conditions.
.
I will be monitored 9.525 MHz and 5.975 MHz during the general
time period that you indicate 'to-see-what-I-can-Hear' coming from
the BBC and report back to you.
.
Icom IC-R75 and these Shortwave Antennas :
.
* NS Low Noise Inverted "L" Antenna - 75/25 Foot
#14 AWG Stranded (19) with a RF Junkie "SWL-1" 10:1 MLB
and RG8 Coax Cable Feed-in-Line
.
* EW Low Noise Inverted "L" Antenna - 30/15 Foot
#20 AWG Hook-Up Wire with a TV type 300 Ohm to 75 Ohm
Matching Transformer and RG6 Coax Cable Feed-in-Line.
.
* Shield RG8 Coax Cable Single Turn Loop Antenna - 13 Foot
NS with Pre-Amp #2 engaged
.
* Shield RG6 Coax Cable Inverted Triangle Loop Antenna - 30 Foot
EW with Pre-Amp #2 engaged.
.
'to-see-what-i-can-hear' - now there is something to think about ~ RHF
OK-Land, Cali-4-Ni-A, USofA
37:47:02 N
122:13:55 W
.
.

You're pretty close to me, I'm about 90 miles inland from you, so if
this problem affects more than just my neighborhood you should be able
to hear it.

Old February 18th 05, 03:30 AM
Telamon

In article , running dogg wrote:

[...]

You have a local noise problem. Something near you in your neighborhood
or in your house is generating this noise. It might have something to
do with a light or lamp controlled with a dimer switch.

It is typical that the noise gets worse at lower frequencies as
electronic devices are allowed to generate more noise at lower
frequencies.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California