Old April 9th 05, 02:31 AM
Tom Holden

I did a survey a couple of years ago to find what software was available for a variety of receivers. There was not a whole lot for the Drake other than Mark Fine's RLDB and Smart R8. Since then, Mark has developed the R8 interface for the HamLib library (http://hamlib.sourceforge.net/) and an alpha level application, Smart Gnome Control, using the HamLib libraries. Any application using HamLib should work with the R8 but they seem to be mostly designed for Linux and have to be compiled from the open source code. I have compiled Dream for Windows; it has limited control of the R8 (frequency and S-meter) but it's primarily a DRM decoder and AM/SSB/CW/FM sound card IF DSP demodulator. Here's the old table, fwiw - needs updating - and has to be viewed in html.

Regards,

Tom

Software\Receiver
AOR Drake Elecraft
may use Kenwood protocol ICOM Japan Radio Kenwood Lowe Racal Ten-Tec Yaesu
BarryRimmer ILGdb & FREQ DB Most
CallSign Software SWLstation RX-320
RX-350
CI-V Commander K2 All xcvrs with CI-V Most xcvrs All xcvrs with CI-V Most xcvrs
DATOM NA Contest Logger
Deltacomm Most except R75
DX4Win NB supports user defined command set so can support custom radios. Yes Yes Yes
DXbase Yes Yes Yes Yes
DXTRA WorldStation RX-320
RX-350
Fineware Smart Control R8, R8A, R8B IC-R75 NRD-535
NRD-545 R-5000
TS-440S
Fineware Radio Listener's Database AR-7030(+) R8, R8A, R8B IC-R75 NRD-525
NRD-535
NRD-545 R-5000 RX-320 FRG-100
FTBasic by G4HFQ FRG-100
VR-5000
Logger by K4CY Many CI-V Many Paragon Many
LOGic ? Yes Yes ? Yes
LogPa freeware Yes FT1000mp
Lowe HF-250E Control by Robert Sillett HF-250E
MacIcomControl also for Kenwood, Lowe & Yaesu CI-V rigs Yes Yes Yes
MacLoggerDX AR-5000
AR-3000A AR-7030 R8B KIO2 R71A
R735 & xcvrs JST-245 R5000
& xcvrs 6790/GM Jupiter
Argonaut V Various transceivers
MacSchedKeeper "HF rigs"
NRDWIN NRD-545
prolog2k by DataMatrix Yes Yes Yes Yes
RadioComm by Paul Lutus xcvrs/rcvrs
RadioMax Yes Yes Yes Yes
RATS Various transceivers
ScanCAT Most Most Most Most RX-320 Most
SD by EI5DI xcvrs xcvrs Omni6 xcvrs
shoc-RSM AR-5000
AR-8200 IC-R75 et al NRD-545
Shortwave Log by Robert Sillett PCR-100, PCR-1000, IC-R75 NRD545, partial HF-250E
SWISSLOG Yes Yes Yes
Tcl/Tk by Robert Parnass IC-R75
IC-R8500 NRD-545
The HamLib Project Most CI-V NRD-545 Some xcvrs Some xcvrs
TR LOG by N6TR Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
TRX-Manager Various transceivers NRD-545 Various transceivers Omni VI transceivers Various transceivers VR-5000
WJ2O Master QSO Logger (mlog) free Yes Yes Yes Yes
WriteLog Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
XMLog free Yes Yes ? Yes
YPLog by VE6YP All All All Some
zLOG by JJ1MED free probably Yes probably

Many CI-V compatible applications can be found at CI-V Information pages by DF4OR supporting Icom, Kenwood.

Last updated: 09 February 2003

"Michael Love" wrote in message om...
I have in the past used FineWare Smart R8 Control for my R8. Mark Fine does
not sell this software anymore and I am looking to purchase a newer version
of the same software, or even something else that works well with the R8. My
version does not work with XP or even ME. My Smart R8 control software was
purchased and registered with Fineware. I am not looking to "steal" or copy
anyone's registered software, I just want to purchase it. All you
bedwetting flamers, keep it to yourself.

Old April 9th 05, 04:12 AM
Brian Denley

Tom Holden wrote:
I did a survey a couple of years ago to find what software was
available for a variety of receivers. There was not a whole lot for
the Drake other than Mark Fine's RLDB and Smart R8.

There is a new program called RxPlus: http://www.cam.org/~noelbou/RxPlus/
that will control the R8A, R8B and many other receivers.

This software not only controls your receiver but also provides audio DSP
tools including demodulation of RTTY, PSK, FAX. This control program is
definitely worth a look.

--
Brian Denley

Old April 9th 05, 04:25 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Tom Holden wrote:

I did a survey a couple of years ago to find what software was
available for a variety of receivers. There was not a whole lot for
the Drake other than Mark Fine's RLDB and Smart R8. Since then, Mark
has developed the R8 interface for the HamLib library
(http://hamlib.sourceforge.net/) and an alpha level application, Smart
Gnome Control, using the HamLib libraries. Any application using
HamLib should work with the R8 but they seem to be mostly designed for
Linux and have to be compiled from the open source code. I have
compiled Dream for Windows; it has limited control of the R8
(frequency and S-meter) but it's primarily a DRM decoder and
AM/SSB/CW/FM sound card IF DSP demodulator. Here's the old table, fwiw
- needs updating - and has to be viewed in html.

Regards,

Tom

That's one nasty looking table, Tom. You need to at least click in
unused boxes and press the space bare so the grid shows up around unused
cells. If you're familiar with editing raw HTML with a word processor
its simple to use "Find and replace" to do it all in one pass.

Search for:
td/td
and replace with
td /td

It makes tables a lot easier on the eyes if you have vision problems.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old April 9th 05, 05:31 PM
Tom Holden

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
That's one nasty looking table, Tom. You need to at least click in
unused boxes and press the space bare so the grid shows up around unused
cells. If you're familiar with editing raw HTML with a word processor
its simple to use "Find and replace" to do it all in one pass.

Hi Mike,
I'm familiar with raw HTML. It's not required to put &nbsp into empty cells
in a table - unless you want a border around each cell. The source file
displays fine in IE, Netscape and Firefox browsers and in Outlook Express
into which it was pasted and sent. Oddly enough, my news server did not even
return my posting so I have no idea what it might have done to the html.
Google stripped all the html and made it totally scrambled. Does
rec.radio.shortwave even allow html?

73, Tom

Old April 9th 05, 08:41 PM
Volker Tonn

Tom Holden schrieb:

Does rec.radio.shortwave even allow html?

HTML is unwanted in ALL non-binary newsgroups.
Just use plain text and/ or some monospaced ASCII-art.

Old April 9th 05, 09:12 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Volker Tonn wrote:

HTML is unwanted in ALL non-binary newsgroups.
Just use plain text and/ or some monospaced ASCII-art.

I just add a page to my website and provide a link when I want to
give something in HTML form. Some are permanent and are added to the
drop down menus, but I just post a link directly to a temporary file and
levee it till its not needed or is replaced.

Old April 9th 05, 09:09 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Tom Holden wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
That's one nasty looking table, Tom. You need to at least click in
unused boxes and press the space bare so the grid shows up around unused
cells. If you're familiar with editing raw HTML with a word processor
its simple to use "Find and replace" to do it all in one pass.

Hi Mike,
I'm familiar with raw HTML. It's not required to put &nbsp into empty cells
in a table - unless you want a border around each cell. The source file
displays fine in IE, Netscape and Firefox browsers and in Outlook Express
into which it was pasted and sent. Oddly enough, my news server did not even
return my posting so I have no idea what it might have done to the html.
Google stripped all the html and made it totally scrambled. Does
rec.radio.shortwave even allow html?

73, Tom

It depends on the news server and Earthlink let it through. The
message was 1152 lines and the missing cell borders are what make the
table look bad. Whenever something pops up in that format its like
someone has slugged me because my poor vision can't line everything up
quickly. There are web sites I can't go to because they are full of
tables built like this. If you aren't going to display all the borders
you should turn them off and just have the columns aligned without any
thing in the way.

I create the tables on my web page in Wordpad and always include the
non breaking space in blank cells when a table has visable borders.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/ and a couple other sites I
maintain were built by hand to keep them compatable with as many
browsers as possible. The pages are small and fast loading because
there are a minimum of tags and i use a CSS to maintain the look and
colors of the site.

Old April 9th 05, 09:59 PM
Telamon

In article ,
"Tom Holden" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
That's one nasty looking table, Tom. You need to at least click in
unused boxes and press the space bare so the grid shows up around
unused cells. If you're familiar with editing raw HTML with a word
processor its simple to use "Find and replace" to do it all in one
pass.

Hi Mike, I'm familiar with raw HTML. It's not required to put &nbsp
into empty cells in a table - unless you want a border around each
cell. The source file displays fine in IE, Netscape and Firefox
browsers and in Outlook Express into which it was pasted and sent.
Oddly enough, my news server did not even return my posting so I have
no idea what it might have done to the html. Google stripped all the
html and made it totally scrambled. Does rec.radio.shortwave even
allow html?

Posting HTML on Usenet is bad form.

Stick with text.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 9th 05, 04:55 AM

Somebody ought to invent some sort of a copy paper that can be held
directly agains't computer monitor screens (webtv screens too) (sort of
kind of like the old fashion blueprint papers,if y'all get me driff) for
a minute or so and make copies like that.It would cut out all of the
fuss and mess of screwing around with those stupid ass printers that
sometimes don't work right and that we are always having to buy ink
for.It seems to me like a damn good idea.Put y'alls thinking caps on
boys and girls and invent something like that and y'all can get filthy
rich.
cuhulin

Old April 9th 05, 05:31 AM
Brian Hill

wrote in message
Somebody ought to invent some sort of a copy paper that can be held
directly agains't computer monitor screens (webtv screens too) (sort of
kind of like the old fashion blueprint papers,if y'all get me driff) for
a minute or so and make copies like that.It would cut out all of the
fuss and mess of screwing around with those stupid ass printers that
sometimes don't work right and that we are always having to buy ink
for.It seems to me like a damn good idea.Put y'alls thinking caps on
boys and girls and invent something like that and y'all can get filthy
rich.
cuhulin

Next you'll want us to invent special eyeballs to look at the monitor and
all we'll have to do **** out a screen shot. LOL!!!!!!!!!!

B.H.