Old April 22nd 05, 10:42 PM
David

If you want a high end radio, solely for shortwave, consider a Ten-Tec
RX-340, or ask about high-end surplus radios. Be ready to wade through
more "religious" flames, though, since people are very loyal to their
favorites. At least the flames will be on-topic, though...

Thanks Eric - Yes I have noticed all the OT Trolls here. I'll continue
to filter them out. I've bought an ICOM R7100 and a Drake R8. It should
arrive sometime in early May, plenty of time to consider antennas and
computer aided software for them and acquire the RS-232 interface
cables. Comments on these acquisitions would be apreciated as well. g

I've looked at the ERGO 4 software and an ERGO rep said it will work
with these receivers. For the R7100 I'll have to use the generic driver
he said.

The suggestions and opinions offered me have really been quite helpful.
Thank you all.

A final general question (The detailed techo-challenged questions will
follow in May and June g)

What other software is there out there that I might want to consider?

Thanks again.

DavidN

Old April 22nd 05, 11:20 PM
Volker Tonn

David schrieb:

If you want a high end radio, solely for shortwave, consider a Ten-Tec
RX-340, or ask about high-end surplus radios. Be ready to wade through
more "religious" flames, though, since people are very loyal to their
favorites. At least the flames will be on-topic, though...

Thanks Eric - Yes I have noticed all the OT Trolls here. I'll continue
to filter them out. I've bought an ICOM R7100 and a Drake R8. It should
arrive sometime in early May, plenty of time to consider antennas and
computer aided software for them and acquire the RS-232 interface
cables. Comments on these acquisitions would be apreciated as well. g

Hi!
Your quoting is horrible...I have repaired it...
Your choice on RX's is really not bad and generally very good value on
the money.

For the R7100 I would highly recomend the Diamond X50 or X5000 multiband
verticals. They have much gain on the bands they are cut for. And they
still have some gain compared to a dipole on most other freqs in its
range. They outperform a discone easily wich has no gain over a dipole.
If needed and there is space enough add a LDPA (logrithmic dipole array)
antenna for VHF/UHF with a rotator.
For SW DX a 27ft vertical with many loooong radials and antenna tunerfor
impedance match(!) will work extremely good on DX from 60 to 10 mtr
bands. A horizontal dipole will work better on continental stations.
Have much fun with your new toys!