Old May 22nd 05, 04:06 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"dxAce" wrote:
Apparently the term was not in use until the song.

Yup; that could definitely nullify what I've said. I
think that the word origin may, perhaps, be lost in
the mists of time.

Well, either that, or I'm completely full of crap.

73,

Steve
--
Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, Minnesota

Every moment of a human life is an act of worship.

Coincidence is God's way of being anonymous.

Old May 22nd 05, 04:12 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"Brian Hill" wrote:
Hi Steve. That was my assumption as well. Se ya in the Alzheimers clinic.

B.H.

Dibs on the remote! Wait a minute, I forget where it's located!

My Grandmother insists Alzehimer's is connected somehow
with aluminum usage in cans, pots and pans, etc., etc. Of
course, I think that's bunk. In fact, I'm going to be doing some
valuable research this afternoon. My source material will
probably be Michelob Amber Bock. (wink wink, nudge nudge).

VY 73,

Old May 23rd 05, 01:42 AM
m II

Stephen M.H. Lawrence wrote:
"dxAce" wrote:

Apparently the term was not in use until the song.

Yup; that could definitely nullify what I've said. I
think that the word origin may, perhaps, be lost in
the mists of time.

Well, either that, or I'm completely full of crap.

We'll settle for lost in the mists of time. It's a much neater phrase.

mike
Old May 23rd 05, 04:26 AM
m II

Brian Hill wrote:

With any luck you'll die of AIDS and decrease the surplus population.

You're confusing Scrooge and screwage.

mike
Old May 23rd 05, 10:37 PM
uncle arnie

Stephen M.H. Lawrencealuminium
"Brian Hill" wrote:
Hi Steve. That was my assumption as well. Se ya in the Alzheimers clinic.

B.H.

Dibs on the remote! Wait a minute, I forget where it's located!

My Grandmother insists Alzehimer's is connected somehow
with aluminum usage in cans, pots and pans, etc., etc. Of
course, I think that's bunk. In fact, I'm going to be doing some
valuable research this afternoon. My source material will
probably be Michelob Amber Bock. (wink wink, nudge nudge).

VY 73,

They did find excess aluminum in the brains of some Alzheimers patients - in
the substantia nigra where the characteristic neural tangles occur. There
was some trouble replicating the finding, and of course finding it doesn't
necessarily imply cause.

Excessive alcohol (coupled with thiamine - vitamin B1 - deficiency. I heard
the Aussies fortify their beer with it for prevention) can bring on
Korsakoff's disease. With all the confabulation in this NG, I'd say a few
have developed one of the other.

Old May 24th 05, 03:19 AM
m II

uncle arnie wrote:

With all the confabulation in this NG...

The Beatles have regrouped?

mike
Old May 30th 05, 03:38 AM
Eunty JEck

"m II" wrote in message

Why is the south known as Dixie land?

At a time when businesses did business using pounds, shillings and pence

but the
Portuguese Johannes, the Spanish doubloons and pistols, the French sous

and
picayunes, the Italian and Flemish ducatoons were all circulating and 1

shilling
and 4 pence was one sixth of a milled peso (a piece of eight) or 2

shillings and
a half pence was equal to half a dutch dollar (yes-a very confusing time)

the
Citizens bank of New Orleans issued a straight forward $10 bill, which

became
very popular.

However, because it was New Orleans and there were lots of French people

around,
on the back of the $10 bill they printed the French word for ten which is

“dix”.
These notes became so popular that they became know as “Dixies”.

In 1859 a singer songwriter by the name of Daniel Decatut Emmett wrote a

song
called “Dixie’s land” which became very popular too (see how we used to

get on
so well with the French!!!).

Anyhow, he was a Northerner and presumably because of pronunciation

differences
everyone thought he was singing “Dixie Land” and this is how the South

became
know as Dixie Land – eh Voila!

http://www.skunkworks.webaxxs.net/20...ixie-land.html

Amazing how the administration has soured feelings toward the French.
Personally, I think they're generally pretty good.

mike

Do you ever get sick of being a "know-it-all"?

We sure do!

Cheers! g mate!

Old May 30th 05, 03:39 AM
Eunty JEck

"m II" wrote in message
Brian Hill wrote:

With any luck you'll die of AIDS and decrease the surplus population.

You're confusing Scrooge and screwage.

mike

You still haint figured it out, yeh?

Old June 1st 05, 08:54 AM
Michael A. Terrell

Brian Hill wrote:

With all this Star Wars sh-t going on, I feel that I may have slipped to the
dark side. lol!

B.H.

How are "Duct tape" and "The Force" alike?

They both have a dark side, a light side, and they hold the universe
together! ;-)

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell