Old October 30th 05, 09:15 AM
Jacob Shank

Default Grundig FR200

Hi, I would like to get into the shortwave hobby and i went to radio
shack and saw this SW radio. Does anyone know if it's a good SW radio?
Or should i get a different one? It seems to be at a good price. Is the
more expensive SW radios able to pick up more SW stations? or it doesn't
matter? I figured to come here for a second opinion. Thanks. Jacob.

Old October 30th 05, 11:21 AM
Sanjaya

"Jacob Shank" wrote in message
Hi, I would like to get into the shortwave hobby and i went to radio
shack and saw this SW radio. Does anyone know if it's a good SW radio?
Or should i get a different one? It seems to be at a good price. Is the
more expensive SW radios able to pick up more SW stations? or it doesn't
matter? I figured to come here for a second opinion. Thanks. Jacob.

If I could recommend anything to a newcomer to SW it would be to get
a good portable that has digital tuning and SSB capability.

The Sony 7600GR is an excellent portable, but fairly expensive.

A better alternative (my opinion) is the Degen DE1103 which can be found on
eBay. Much less expensive and fantastic reception. Best performance for price
paid. Great reception of shortwave with only the built in whip antenna.

If you enjoy Medium Wave (known as AM radio in the U.S.) you might look
at the Tecsun BCL3000. Fair on shortwave, but fantastic on MW.

If SW is the main concern here I'd recommend the DE1103, and if you want to
spend twice as much get a Sony 7600GR.

Lots of people will respond to your post I think and give you good advice. Don't
make a hasty decision. Listening to shortwave takes a bit of effort, you have to know
what's on and how to find it. You want a radio that will make that easier for you.

Old October 30th 05, 12:45 PM
SBM

I've got one and it's ok for a portable radio and a novelty. It
drifts a lot and you're constantly retuning the station. It has
pretty good sensitivity (receives faily weak signals) but poor
selectivity. For instance, tuning in to 9985 kHz, I can also hear WWV
on 10000 kHz. The distance between stations on the dial means you
only have to move the tuning dial 2 millimeters. Inaccurate dial,
hard to find the same station from one night to the next. My first sw
radio was a kit and I had no idea where I was tuning. That didn't
take away from the fun. Maybe added to the mystery. Maybe a used
YB-400 or such would be better, then you could also listen to ssb
stations.

Old October 30th 05, 06:09 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
Jacob Shank wrote:
Hi, I would like to get into the shortwave hobby and i went to radio
shack and saw this SW radio. Does anyone know if it's a good SW radio?
Or should i get a different one? It seems to be at a good price. Is the
more expensive SW radios able to pick up more SW stations? or it doesn't
matter? I figured to come here for a second opinion. Thanks. Jacob.

It's a cheap radio. The tuning knob is mushy and you'll get most
shortwave stations on two places on the dial. (The higher frequency
is the correct one. They call them "images").

On the other hand, it's quite sensitive. If I wrap the (insulated)
phone cord around the whip, I can pick up pretty much anything that my
R-1000 (a $400, twenty years ago) table top, (with an 70? foot random wire
antenna), can get. (The rub is that the FR200 may not be able to seperate
out the signal from interference. Either from the above mentioned image
rejection problem or the wider bandpass filters). It's also pretty good
on the AM and FM Broadcast bands.

The generator is a joke. And I've managed to screw up a couple of sets
of rechargable batteries. (It uses the same pack as cordless phones,
so you can get new packs at the drug store or electronics shop. That's
just me, rechargables and I don't get along). But it runs an amazing
time on three alkaline AA batteries. I think I've only changed batteries
three or four times in the 15 months or so I've had mine. Using it about
three hours a day.

Mark Zenier

Old October 31st 05, 01:04 PM
homepc

I returned two of these radios.

I bought them to use at my office off battery power and just for AM
reception only. The FR200 runs forever off three AA batteries and the AM
reception is good. It's a cute little radio and the carry handle is really
handy. If you intend to hide this radio away for use in an emergency kit it
would probably be a very good choice. However after extended use, both
radios I had developed a noisy volume control that needed replacement
according to a Grundig service tech I spoke to. I didn't have an authorized
Grundig service depot close by, and I felt the postage expense to Toronto
for the warranty repair just wasn't worth it.

I ended up buying a Degen DE1107 to use at work just recently. It's an
analogue version of the DE1103, so it isn't as power hungry as it's brother,
and the sound is fantastic. The Degen DE1103 from China is identical to the
Kaito DE1103 available in North America, but you have better warranty
protection with the Kaito brand should the radio goes south. Many people
report the DE1103 to be an amazing little radio for the price, but there
seems to be a few repair issues with the digital tuning and distorted AM
reception. See posts at

I also own a Degen DE1103 purchased through EBay that required a warranty
exchange upon after it's arrival. The replacement radio works fine, but the
case came with some minor cosmetic flaws from the factory.

Old October 31st 05, 02:01 PM

Some of the old Grundigs were actually Telefunkens,some of them
Telefunkens were badged with the Grundig name on them,,, in my opinion.I
have Proof of Evidence sitting right hear on my living room hard wood
floor.
cuhulin

Old October 31st 05, 02:03 PM

So called Grundigs nowdays are made in China,, they aren't worth a Crap!
cuhulin

Old October 31st 05, 02:04 PM

A Tip: Stay away from cute little radios.Cute women,,, send them to me.
cuhulin

Old October 31st 05, 02:14 PM

www.jr.com Sony 7600GR Radio.If JR is out,try Amazon.
cuhulin

Old October 31st 05, 02:18 PM

Them cheap Chinese radios will short out and set your house on fire just
like them cheap coffee makers will.Stay away from Chinese (although them
Chinese girls I sampled when I was in Asia weren't bad at all) radios.
cuhulin

The Eton E1 XM Radio -=V=- Grundig Satellite 800 M [ Plus Some History ] RHF Shortwave 10 January 6th 05 04:56 AM
Grundig FR200 Tony Adams Shortwave 8 May 18th 04 06:25 AM
YB400PE [email protected] Shortwave 7 February 5th 04 12:34 PM
Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Radios that are offered World Wide under the Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Brand Name RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:23 PM
Grundig Satellit 900 -=V=- Eton E1 XM Radio RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:14 PM