Old December 23rd 05, 04:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Carl

Default Kaito 1102 not a pleasant experience

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:43:16 GMT, Carl
wrote:

On 12 Dec 2005 19:05:18 -0800, "dk" wrote:

Sorry, got so tied up wtih someone calling NPR commie, that I forgot to
comment on your 1102 situation. I've had an 1102 for about a year,
and the reception has been very good all around. It has since been put
on the back burner by a Sangean Super 909, but I still use the 1102
daily as well. How is the reception with other stations? Keep in mind
that when you plug in an external antenna you shut off the whip. I
would say that if nothing else works, return it. It should pull that
station in easily.

Douglas
www.pbase.com/kilen

Douglas...do you use the KA1102 radio indoors and if so...what
exactly do you use for an antenna?

Is there a website I can reference to show use of that Radio Shack SW
antenna kit to the maximum? I mean I am less than an amateur and do
not have a clue how to use that material...the bare wire... the
insulated wire..etc etc The instruction sheet is incomplete for me.

PS I am in an RV and REALLY move around a lot. Based on what I read
here...my RV aluminum joists probably means an interior antenna is
just plain out of the question..and I better learn what to do with
this SW antenna kit...and consider too..some type of roof antenna that
maybe I can plug into the portable radio.

Or...back at home base I have a double loop aluminum tube FM antenna
(Radio Shack..it folds) ) I could take with me and hoist up tree
branches and run coax from it.

But how do I get any thing to plug into that mini plug...mini plug
antenna female in the KA1102? I mean.. how do you adapt bare wire to
the mini plug? Coax to the mini plug? ( I stripped a little rubber
from the tip of the aux antenna wire that came with the KA1102 and ran
a jumper (alligator clips) from it to 25 feet of copper (uh-oh... I
lie...being an amateur.. I have 25 feet of copper...in kinda an
L..and then I have the last 50 feet wadded in a loop...duct taped to a
galvanized light pole). I mean..the instruction sheet for the SW kit
sucks...but then I don't follow directions well anyway.

I see no way to attach a "ground wire" to the KA 1102. I see no
explanation of exactly how you do the 33feet of copper for 20 meter
SW stations. I mean ...can you do 40 feet of copper with two 3.5ft
loops in each end that go around big trees ..then there is 33 feet of
straight wire? Six inches at each end wrapped around the enclosed
standoffs..leaving 32 feet of straight copper? I have some kinks in
the copper...do I need to throw it away and start over? I don't get
it. Must I cut the 75 ft of copper in the kit... or can I wad the
excess at one end..or evenly in both ends...not at all? , cut it? !
Do you connect 50 feet of insulated wire into the middle of the 33feet
of copper ? Give me a break...what's the program?

Can you just use alligator clip to the whip? and be better off??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. .. I literally do not have a
clue.